2 Speaker Living Room - Yamaha -NS-IC800W Suggestions

If connecting via Coax or Toslink and using the DAC in the A-S301 amp use the sub woofer out from there.

If connecting via Coax or Toslink and using the DAC in the A-S301 amp use the sub woofer out from there.
Yes, of course can, but he can't use a high-pass filter in that case.

But the levels will be wrong if the sub is via ultra and speakers via amp
By level, do you mean volume? That can be adjusted on each of the three devices. To begin with, this is a basic use case for Ultra and I don't think it will cause any problems.🤔

By level, do you mean volume? That can be adjusted on each of the three devices. To begin with, this is a basic use case for Ultra and I don't think it will cause any problems.🤔
But you suggested using a digital out to the Yamaha and therefore presumably advocating 100% output in the digital domain for bit perfect output. How then can you control the volume of the sub woofer via the Yamaha unless the sub is connected there?

But you suggested using a digital out to the Yamaha and therefore presumably advocating 100% output in the digital domain for bit perfect output. How then can you control the volume of the sub woofer via the Yamaha unless the sub is connected there?
Sorry, I did indeed suggest a digital output, but did not assume that it would be used with a fixed 100% output.

First set Ultra to 100% volume. Then set the volume of the amp and SW, and reduce the volume of Ultra as needed. I then assumed that volume control would be done by Ultra, as with the WiiM amp, and that this would be the basic use of Ultra.

Also, I was talking about the Pro and Pro plus digital outputs, not referring to the Ultra's digital outputs, and there is nothing wrong with using the Ultra's Line-out.🙂

Also, I was talking about the Pro and Pro plus digital outputs, not referring to the Ultra's digital outputs, and there is nothing wrong with using the Ultra's Line-out.🙂
Yes you were talking about Pro and Pro Plus which if used would mean sub woofer on the Yamaha.

Yes you were talking about Pro and Pro Plus which if used would mean sub woofer on the Yamaha.
Yes, of course it does, since the pro and pro plus do not have subout. Now there is an Ultra option. (And at the time this thread was opened, there was no WiiM amp option either.)

By the way, is there any point to this discussion? 😅

Yes, of course it does, since the pro and pro plus do not have subout. Now there is an Ultra option. (And at the time this thread was opened, there was no WiiM amp option either.)

By the way, is there any point to this discussion? 😅
I think there is a point if the OP doesn’t understand that the issue exists. Yes it’s surmountable but you need to understand your options to get there.

Ok, cool. I think I am going to keep the Pro Plus coming because I need to get my ethernet wiring to that equipment room and never really noticed I was pressuring myself to do so. I just discovered that like the Wiim Mini, that the + also connects using Wifi, cool, almost like the Apple TV 4K.

So as far as installation for now with this equipment. I was planning on using Coaxial Digital vs. Optical. Is that cool? Maybe someone can suggest a Yamaha subwoofer that we can plan for purchase in the near future.

Searching the Wiim forums a few hours ago I found a Thread regarding Wiim Pro Plus power supplies. What do you guys think about this DC Out behind the A-S301 ? Should I give it a try or just keep the original Wiim psu ?

I´m getting excited, the installer should be here Monday afternoon so maybe I can start listening to some music very soon. Although the Wiim Plus is not here yet. haha

Don´t worry, all this activity on the Thread is inspiring and I am very grateful to anyone who has participated in any capacity. That´s the beauty of the internet, synergy and collaboration rules !
as301regbkls_941b8054e581d665a81f873e32355aff.jpg image_67214337.JPG

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-25 a la(s) 3.47.31 p.m..png
I have another curiosity. Maybe someone here knows. I decided to go with the A-S301 because it seems like a solid amplifier that is not overly complicated. I like the fact that it has 2 sets of speaker options. Speakers A for example are for the living room. I am wondering if I could eventually use Speakers B, for the outside patio which is literally a sliding door distance from the living room. My idea is that I can wire to Yamaha exterior speakers to Speaker B. So my idea was that I have to manually switch from Speakers A or B depending on usage. If I have a party and guest and want to use both A and B, my idea is I switch to Speakers A and B but I am curious as to whether Wiim Pro Plus detects this connection or what exactly happens in these cases. Can I just leave A & B set and turn it off with the Wiim app or what exactly is the best case usage? I´m thinking manually switch, who knows. Thanks again.

So as far as installation for now with this equipment. I was planning on using Coaxial Digital vs. Optical. Is that cool? Maybe someone can suggest a Yamaha subwoofer that we can plan for purchase in the near future.
Yes, it doesn't matter which one. The WiiM comes with an optical cable, so please try both.😁

Searching the Wiim forums a few hours ago I found a Thread regarding Wiim Pro Plus power supplies. What do you guys think about this DC Out behind the A-S301 ? Should I give it a try or just keep the original Wiim psu ?

The DC-OUT of the amp is 5V 0.5A, so the output may be a little insufficient. I think it's a good idea to try this as well.

I´m getting excited, the installer should be here Monday afternoon so maybe I can start listening to some music very soon. Although the Wiim Plus is not here yet. haha

Don´t worry, all this activity on the Thread is inspiring and I am very grateful to anyone who has participated in any capacity. That´s the beauty of the internet, synergy and collaboration rules !
View attachment 7358 View attachment 7357
Have fun.😉

Yamaha currently offers four main subwoofers.

NS-SW050
NS-SW300
NS-SW500
NS-SW700

The choice depends on your budget, but we recommend the SW300 or higher, as the SW050 lacks basic features such as a low-pass filter.

Of course, you can also use a non-Yamaha subwoofer.

From the amp's front screenshot it appears that the A+B speaker option is intended for a single set of biwired speakers.
i.e. when each speaker in the pair also has two sets of connections and you run two sets of speaker cable to each speaker.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean that you can't run a 2nd set of speakers off the 'B' posts at the same time as 'A'.
I'll let someone with a better understanding of any potential issues with this explain...

Last edited:
View attachment 7359
I have another curiosity. Maybe someone here knows. I decided to go with the A-S301 because it seems like a solid amplifier that is not overly complicated. I like the fact that it has 2 sets of speaker options. Speakers A for example are for the living room. I am wondering if I could eventually use Speakers B, for the outside patio which is literally a sliding door distance from the living room. My idea is that I can wire to Yamaha exterior speakers to Speaker B. So my idea was that I have to manually switch from Speakers A or B depending on usage. If I have a party and guest and want to use both A and B, my idea is I switch to Speakers A and B but I am curious as to whether Wiim Pro Plus detects this connection or what exactly happens in these cases. Can I just leave A & B set and turn it off with the Wiim app or what exactly is the best case usage? I´m thinking manually switch, who knows. Thanks again.
Yes, you can play speakers A and B simultaneously by selecting "A+B BI-WIRING" with the speaker selector on the front of the amplifier.

The impedance selector on the back of the amplifier must be set appropriately when the amplifier is turned off. (Probably no problem if it is set to Low.)

Please check 5p and 10p in the manual.

Unfortunately, you cannot use the Yamaha remote or the WiiM to switch between speakers.

Edit ;
I think it's better to choose an outdoor speaker with an impedance of 8 ohms or more.

Yes, you can play speakers A and B simultaneously by selecting "A+B BI-WIRING" with the speaker selector on the front of the amplifier.

The impedance selector on the back of the amplifier must be set appropriately when the amplifier is turned off. (Probably no problem if it is set to Low.)

Please check 5p and 10p in the manual.

Unfortunately, you cannot use the Yamaha remote or the WiiM to switch between speakers.

Edit ;
I think it's better to choose an outdoor speaker with an impedance of 8 ohms or more.
Cool !! Yes, just read the manual and opened the box to manually set the impedance to Low. Speakers A and B, 8 ohms. Perfect. So, I´ll just keep A most of the tiime and manually switch to B or A and B depending on needs. Now it´s time to shop for some exterior 8 ohm speakers.

Yamaha currently offers four main subwoofers.

NS-SW050
NS-SW300
NS-SW500
NS-SW700

The choice depends on your budget, but we recommend the SW300 or higher, as the SW050 lacks basic features such as a low-pass filter.

Of course, you can also use a non-Yamaha subwoofer.
0CA9C9C2AA6F47E7A2F56CA24E5D1A7F_12075_57488f421895c056c3e1bc4381083e75.jpg

I need some more help here please. I may be confused but I am under the assumption that the A-S301 has a single cable from the amplifier to the subwoofer but here is what the rear panel of the NS-SW300 looks like. I do not seem to recognize where my amplifier (or Wiim Ultra) would connect to. Am I missing something here? I assume this is a powered subwoofer so the amplifier doesn´t necessarily send watts to this unit, correct?

Can I just leave A & B set and turn it off with the Wiim app or what exactly is the best case usage?

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for...

If you stop the music on the WiiM while it is playing on speakers A and B, the music on both speakers will stop.

If you want to stop the music on speaker B and continue playback on speaker A alone, switch the speaker selector on the amplifier to "A". You do not need to operate the WiiM at this time.

You can also turn off the output from all speakers by setting the speaker selector to "off". This is similar to the mute function on the remote.

1000000360.jpg

View attachment 7361

I need some more help here please. I may be confused but I am under the assumption that the A-S301 has a single cable from the amplifier to the subwoofer but here is what the rear panel of the NS-SW300 looks like. I do not seem to recognize where my amplifier (or Wiim Ultra) would connect to. Am I missing something here? I assume this is a powered subwoofer so the amplifier doesn´t necessarily send watts to this unit, correct?

Normally, connect the subwoofer out of the S301 to the "L/MONO" of the SW300.

1000000361.jpg

Other.
Auto Standby = High

Phase = Choose the one that makes the bass sound louder. In most cases, "NORM" is fine.

B.A.S.S = Music

Hidh Cut = I think it's good around 80Hz, but adjust it to your liking.

Back