About WiiM Ultra USB Out

Maurizio

Major Contributor
Hi to all
I intend to buy the WiiM Ultra because I like it, for the aluminum chassis, for the screen and above all for the USB audio output. I will wait, however, a little longer to ensure that the small defects that inevitably accompany the first series of a device are eliminated.
I will use the Ultra as a pure streamer, connecting it to my DAC via USB Out. In this regard I have not understood one thing. The USB output reaches, as declared by WiiM, a maximum of 24/192.
Now the DAC chip that mounts the Ultra can reach 32bit / 384KHz.
My DAC, via USB reaches 32bit / 768 KHz
Ok that at the moment I do not find any streaming albums higher than 24/192, but I do not understand the limitation imposed by Wiim. In the future it is not known where the streaming resolution will arrive.
Can anyone explain why the Ultra doesn't go beyond 24/192 when connected to an external DAC via USB Out?

Probably because at some point it no longer makes sense to support ever higher sampling frequencies. With 192 kHz you can already reproduce an acoustic bandwidth of 0 to 96000 Hz. Far more than the human ear can perceive. Higher sampling rates only produce larger files and data rubbish that has to be transferred.

The sound quality of a recording is created during the recording and mixing process. Analogue to digital conversion (ADC) also plays a major role here and this is where the high sampling rates are better suited than during playback. There are absolutely excellent sounding recordings in CD quality and shitty ones at 24/192!

Hi, I have the Ultra Home for testning. I can’t get the USB to work. I find it in the Wiim app but there is no sound. I have an Arcam D33, so it is quite old. Is there something more to do than choose USB out to make it work?

Hi, I have the Ultra Home for testning. I can’t get the USB to work. I find it in the Wiim app but there is no sound. I have an Arcam D33, so it is quite old. Is there something more to do than choose USB out to make it work?
If the ultra didn't think there was a dac at the end of the usb cable usb out wouldn't be selectable.
Is the ultra's volume up and the dac set to its usb input?
Is the dac showing any incoming signal, i.e. the sample rate?

Last edited:
The dac shows no incoming signal.
Volume is set to 100% in the Wiim app, I use the volume from the pre amp. Yes it is set to USB. I have hardly used the USB on the Arcam, but I have test it so it works. But there is 2 USB connections and now I use the galvanic isolation connection and it can only handle up to 24/96. The other USB connection isn’t galvanic isolated but can handle 24/196.

But I can test the other one, but later have to move some things to be able to change.
But thank you for trying to help.
It’s the same issue with me. If you play straight from WiFi it works. Like play straight from one of the music services right from the phone and it will play with no issues. But if I tried to play from hdmj no sound at all.

It’s the same issue with me. If you play straight from WiFi it works. Like play straight from one of the music services right from the phone and it will play with no issues. But if I tried to play from hdmj no sound at all.
Are you using an HDMI ARC connection from your tv, and do you have the sound set to stereo PCM?

Are you using an HDMI ARC connection from your tv, and do you have the sound set to stereo PCM?
I have the usb out going to an Aiyima t9 pro and and hdmi to tv arc. I’ve tried every which way possible dont here nothing. Play straight from phone and works
Perfect.

Back