Advantages of using Fixed resolution?

That option does not exist for my WiiM Ultra.

I didn't try setting my phone to Polish language, though. šŸ˜
It does I have it on my ultra. You need put location on ultra like bedroom then you will see the option.

I conclude that this setting is simply superfluous for Android as Chromecast will always use the "full dynamic range" (whatever the restriction posed by the opposite might actually be).
There may be another reason. I read somewhere that Google stopped supporting Chromecast Audio. Maybe that's why it's not on Android devices. Maybe they left it on iOS on purpose? A few years ago I read on some forum that this setting is important for high sound quality, because the default is low quality.

There may be another reason. I read somewhere that Google stopped supporting Chromecast Audio. Maybe that's why it's not on Android devices. Maybe they left it on iOS on purpose? A few years ago I read on some forum that this setting is important for high sound quality, because the default is low quality.
Why would they leave it on iOS?

Chromecast Audio was a product, which Google stopped making and eventually supporting. Chromecast built-in (as it once was called, I have no idea if or how many times they might have changed the name) is a different story (but also audio only).

And it's lossless, currently supporting 16 bit 48 kHz using the Ultra. I cannot imagine what dynamic range would need improvement here. :)

Interesting, listening qoboz using chromecast is louder than using wiim app using same volume setting.

Chromecast Audio was a product, which Google stopped making and eventually supporting. Chromecast built-in (as it once was called, I have no idea if or how many times they might have changed the name) is a different story (but also audio only).

And it's lossless, currently supporting 16 bit 48 kHz using the Ultra. I cannot imagine what dynamic range would need improvement here. :)
Chromecast Audio had better specifications:
ā€žChromecast audio specifications
Below are the specifications that work with Chromecast Audio:

Output​

• Stereo analog output: 2Vrms
  • Optical digital output
  • High-resolution audio: 96 KHz / 24-bit

Supported audio formats​

• HE-AAC
  • LC-AAC
  • MP3
  • Vorbis
  • WAV (LPCM)
  • Opus
  • FLAC with support for high-resolution streams (24-bit / 96 KHz)ā€ž

Chromecast Audio had better specifications:
ā€žChromecast audio specifications
Below are the specifications that work with Chromecast Audio:

Output​

• Stereo analog output: 2Vrms
  • Optical digital output
  • High-resolution audio: 96 KHz / 24-bit

Supported audio formats​

• HE-AAC
  • LC-AAC
  • MP3
  • Vorbis
  • WAV (LPCM)
  • Opus
  • FLAC with support for high-resolution streams (24-bit / 96 KHz)ā€ž

Chromecast audio on other WiiM devices supports up to 24/192 despite that (outdated?) spec. WiiM are working on improving Chromecast for the Ultra.

Last edited:
Chromecast audio on other WiiM devices supports up to 24/196 despite that (outdated?) spec. WiiM are working on improving Chromecast for the Ultra.
When I use chromecast on qoboz app, high resolution doesnā€™t show number even on wiim app. Iā€™m not sure what resolution itā€™s playing. This is on ultra.

When I use chromecast on qoboz app, high resolution doesnā€™t show number even on wiim app. Iā€™m not sure what resolution itā€™s playing. This is on ultra.
A while back WiiM removed bitrate/ resolution info for Chromecast from the WiiM app as they couldnā€™t be sure it was accurate. However, from memory, the Qobuz app will show the playing resolution albeit just up to 24/96 as thatā€™s what its app caps Chromecast at.

My understanding is that "full dynamic range" is the normal audio output. Nothing special. Turning it off narrows the range and eliminates distortion on small speakers, etc. It may look a little like normalization.

Yes, someone correct me if I am wrong. šŸ˜…

A while back WiiM removed bitrate/ resolution info for Chromecast from the WiiM app as they couldnā€™t be sure it was accurate. However, from memory, the Qobuz app will show the playing resolution albeit just up to 24/96 as thatā€™s what its app caps Chromecast at.
The qoboz app when I play high 24/96 via chromecast itā€™s down sample it to ā€œcd qualityā€ I tried several music and all came the same cd quality. If I play it via wiim app it play on its native resolution. Iā€™m not sure why chromecast down sample music to cd quality. Now, if I play it on my my phone itā€™s fine with correct information.

My understanding is that "full dynamic range" is the normal audio output. Nothing special. Turning it off narrows the range and eliminates distortion on small speakers, etc. It may look a little like normalization.

Yes, someone correct me if I am wrong. šŸ˜…
I tried it while playing music using toggle on and off it did not change any behavior from loud to soft passage. There was no effect. To me itā€™s just light show thinking you get full range.

The qoboz app when I play high 24/96 via chromecast itā€™s down sample it to ā€œcd qualityā€ I tried several music and all came the same cd quality. If I play it via wiim app it play on its native resolution. Iā€™m not sure why chromecast down sample music to cd quality. Now, if I play it on my my phone itā€™s fine with correct information.
Yeah, sorry thatā€™s currently a restriction with Chromecast (or CastLite) only on the Ultra - shouldā€™ve mentioned thatā€¦

Yeah, sorry thatā€™s currently a restriction with Chromecast (or CastLite) only on the Ultra - shouldā€™ve mentioned thatā€¦
Hmm, ultra got less quality chromecast than the rest of the wiim. Thatā€™s suck!

If fixed resolution is upsampling everything, dose that mean the Wiim dac is being used and not bypassed although I am using digital out on my Pro.

If fixed resolution is upsampling everything, dose that mean the Wiim dac is being used and not bypassed although I am using digital out on my Pro.
No - a DAC converts digital to analog by definition and if it the output is digital, Iā€™d say itā€™s not being used and that the upsampling is being achieved computationally

To my opinion the only way I would use such feature if your hearing pop and click when changing music with different samples.

Back