Advantages of using Fixed resolution?

Where did the 3.36 come from?
For a 96% limit, it would be "4%*0.6 = 2.4dB".

For 3.4 dB, 3.4/0.6 ≒ 5.7%
94% limit.

For 5.6 dB, 5.6/0.6 ≒ 9.3%
90% limit.

Sorry if I'm wrong. 😂
So how do you calculate it correctly? Because I calculated 5.6dB headroom x 0.6 = 3.36%. 100% - 3.36% is about 96% of the limit. Isn't that how you calculate it?

I just got my Ultra and whereas I had fixed resolution in the wiim home app before with my wiim pro, I can't seem to set it at a fixed resolution with the wiim Ultra? Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not with the Ultra?

I just got my Ultra and whereas I had fixed resolution in the wiim home app before with my wiim pro, I can't seem to set it at a fixed resolution with the wiim Ultra? Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not with the Ultra?
Fixed resolution is currently not available with the Ultra, indeed.

Do you have a particular need to enable it?

Fixed resolution is currently not available with the Ultra, indeed.

Do you have a particular need to enable it?
Thanks for confirming.
Problem is with google cast everything is sent as 24/48 to my external dac no matter what I play and no matter how I set the coax digital output. Also lots of stuttering issues with google cast (latest firmware).
But I addressed these issues in the Ultra subforum too and sent feedback to Wiim (ticket)...

Problem is with google cast everything is sent as 24/48 to my external dac no matter what I play and no matter how I set the coax digital output.
Fixed resolution would most probably not help here as it just (potentially) introduces one more resampling step.

Last edited:
Try enabling this setting in Google Home (the app is in my language) 😁 This will enable full dynamic range for your HiFi equipment.IMG_0178.jpeg

That option does not exist for my WiiM Ultra.

I didn't try setting my phone to Polish language, though. 😁
I think we have been here before. That option only exists if a device is connected using an analogue connection. Digital connections automatically use Full Dynamic Range.

I think we have been here before. That option only exists if a device is connected using an analogue connection. Digital connections automatically use Full Dynamic Range.
I remember the discussion but I don't remember the resolution. 😅

In how far would the Ultra be using an analogue connection with regards to Google Home? Should Google Home care or even know about the output selected on the Ultra? :unsure:

Not really. I can see this setting for all my WiiMs but only on iOS.

This setting exists for Google Chromecast built into Wiim. It doesn't matter what model it is or what output we use. On some devices this setting is visible, on others it's not. For me it's visible in Google Home on iPhone. And on Motorola with Android it's not visible. I turned it on right away because I had the same on Chromecast Audio. I use coax output all the time.

I conclude that this setting is simply superfluous for Android as Chromecast will always use the "full dynamic range" (whatever the restriction posed by the opposite might actually be).

Back