Best App experience

See my post here where I used a Raspberry Pi with an internal 1TB SSD drive to host my local files - alternatively as discussed above, LMS can access an external NAS

Thread 'WiiM Pro, Raspberry Pi 4 8GB'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-pro-raspberry-pi-4-8gb.1150/
It looks nice and clean! Is it just a Pi board, mSD card, case, P/S, and USB drive? No monitor or keyboard needed (run by browser from a computer on the network)? Is that case "off the shelf" or did you fabricate it? Very professional! Thanks.

To get the WiiM working you need to download and install the UPnP/Dlna BRIDGE not the similarly named media interface.
Start all WiiMs
Start the Bridge - it should detect them all and create a config file. The only change required is to match the max sample rate for each one in the bridge to whatever they are plugged into. If you are using the internal DAC set at 192000

To get the WiiM working you need to download and install the UPnP/Dlna BRIDGE not the similarly named media interface.
Start all WiiMs
Start the Bridge - it should detect them all and create a config file. The only change required is to match the max sample rate for each one in the bridge to whatever they are plugged into. If you are using the internal DAC set at 192000
WoW, you know your stuff! I will look at that. Is that not on the LMS plugin tab, but something you have to separately download?
Before I start ordering, do you think RaspberryPi is the best way to go rather then a micro PC? Thanks.

I think a Pi and particularly piCorePlayer is better supported and easier to get to grips with. You will need at least a Pi4b 4GB version but you will be surprised just how responsive it is in daily use.

With a microPC you could put Linux on it and get a better experience than Windows but it is fiddly to set up. I wouldn't run on Windows as there are complications with things like updates and the firewall.

Which version of LMS did you install? As long as it is 8.x or higher you should see the plugin listed under 3rd Party Plugins

I think a Pi and particularly piCorePlayer is better supported and easier to get to grips with. You will need at least a Pi4b 4GB version but you will be surprised just how responsive it is in daily use.
Thanks, I am sourcing the parts as I am posting with you. I was just reading the reviews on a case and a user commented that a power supply powered up the R-Pi, but not the internally added SSD without tappling into GPIO header. Is that true? Maybe he had an under powered P/S?

Can you recommend a really good USB C power supply, and do you like passive or fan based cooling? I am thinking @Brantome box he built would work. I would also use a 1TB drive.

The board, Raspberry Pi 4 Computer Model B 8GB Single Board Computer $92.80 (USA Amazon)

The case like @Brantome $45.99 (USA Amazon)

The SSD: The photos on the above case shows a picture of the M2 drive style that works and that don't work. Looks like the style has 2 notches. The ad text seems to be a bit different and confusing. I have a 1TB Samsung external rugged USB SSD. Will that work plugged into a USB3 port or should I get an M2?

I have a few mSD cards already.

My understanding is the PiCorePlayer is the combined LMS built into the operating system?

Is that about it?
Thanks!

Thanks, I am sourcing the parts as I am posting with you. I was just reading the reviews on a case and a user commented that a power supply powered up the R-Pi, but not the internally added SSD without tappling into GPIO header. Is that true? Maybe he had an under powered P/S?

Can you recommend a really good USB C power supply, and do you like passive or fan based cooling? I am thinking @Brantome box he built would work. I would also use a 1TB drive.

I bought this and haven’t had any problems, nor did I need to tap into the GPIO header for the drive, just for the fan that came with the case

The SSD: The photos on the above case shows a picture of the M2 drive style that works and that don't work. Looks like the style has 2 notches. The ad text seems to be a bit different and confusing. I have a 1TB Samsung external rugged USB SSD. Will that work plugged into a USB3 port or should I get an M2?

I can’t see why you can’t use your external USB SSD connected into one of the PI’s USB slots. If you did that and didn’t use an internal SSD, then you perhaps wouldn’t need the case I got which was specifically for use of an internal SSD

This is the internal SSD I used, which gets its power from the usb “clip” provided with the case

My understanding is the PiCorePlayer is the combined LMS built into the operating system?
yeah, piCorePlayer is a Pi build specifically for the use of LMS - it has a good web interface and is fairly intuitive to use. I used the instructions here

Good luck :)

The only issue with using an existing USB drive filled with music is that it may not have been formatted in a compatible way. You don't want to reformat and lose all those sounds. I'd use a small USB if you have one for test purposes in the first place.

NB. A USB drive attached to piCorePlayer can be exposed to the rest of your network as a NAS if samba is switched on.

The only issue with using an existing USB drive filled with music is that it may not have been formatted in a compatible way. You don't want to reformat and lose all those sounds. I'd use a small USB if you have one for test purposes in the first place.

NB. A USB drive attached to piCorePlayer can be exposed to the rest of your network as a NAS if samba is switched on.
Ha, the R-Pi board I linked above went up $10 in the last 3 hours. I don't follow your comment. A USB drive will be exposed to the local network, but not the internal M2? I am going to be using my existing USB SSD, so is there anything special I should set? I am not opposed to having to reformat the drive from NTFS. All of my music is on my Windows computer D, data drive, and backed up to another internal drive so I can just copy it back.

I will test the new format with a few music folders, then hopefully I can attach the SSD back to my computer's USB and copy back the rest of the files (rather then upload them through the network).

Anyway, I just placed my order for the board, a passive cooling case, and a 4A power supply. If the passive cooling is enough, it will be quiet and not be prone to dust failure. The R-Pi 4b calls for 3 amps, the P/S I ordered lists as 4A. It should be enough for the SSD and a fan if needed.

I hope it all goes as expected. Thanks for your help!
Case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVJDRF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Power supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09J856PND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this and haven’t had any problems, nor did I need to tap into the GPIO header for the drive, just for the fan that came with the case

I can’t see why you can’t use your external USB SSD connected into one of the PI’s USB slots. If you did that and didn’t use an internal SSD, then you perhaps wouldn’t need the case I got which was specifically for use of an internal SSD

This is the internal SSD I used, which gets its power from the usb “clip” provided with the case

yeah, piCorePlayer is a Pi build specifically for the use of LMS - it has a good web interface and is fairly intuitive to use. I used the instructions here

Good luck :)
Thanks for the advice and the link to the guide. I replied above to @d6jg that I just ordered the parts and thoughts of why I chose the ones I did, partially from your input.

Thanks!

I've been reading about WiiM getting native LMS support. This entire thread I started was because I was steered to LMS and the Material Skin app. In my trial it performed great playing from test LMS on my Windows computer.

My question is, will the WiiM app not able to see a Logitech Media Server as of now? Is there a way to get the WiiM app to see LMS as a basic server, or is this what all of the feature request discussion about?

I assumed it was about integration to make use of the features like the info and lyrics plugins, but if I switch to LMS, will I not be able to use the WiiM app, for now?

What app is that?
the Material Skin app (APK). It only works with Logitech Media Server (free) which you can put on a computer or on a dedicated device. It's pretty nice as you see your library listed like you did before, but it also pulls photos, bios, lyrics, and other stuff to look at while you listen to the music.

Ha, the R-Pi board I linked above went up $10 in the last 3 hours. I don't follow your comment. A USB drive will be exposed to the local network, but not the internal M2? I am going to be using my existing USB SSD, so is there anything special I should set? I am not opposed to having to reformat the drive from NTFS. All of my music is on my Windows computer D, data drive, and backed up to another internal drive so I can just copy it back.
The M2 can be exposed via Samba yes. NTFS should be Ok.
A standard RPi Power Supply should be fine. I haven't got a Fan on mine but it does not have an HD attached. Mount to NAS instead

I've been reading about WiiM getting native LMS support. This entire thread I started was because I was steered to LMS and the Material Skin app. In my trial it performed great playing from test LMS on my Windows computer.

My question is, will the WiiM app not able to see a Logitech Media Server as of now? Is there a way to get the WiiM app to see LMS as a basic server, or is this what all of the feature request discussion about?

I assumed it was about integration to make use of the features like the info and lyrics plugins, but if I switch to LMS, will I not be able to use the WiiM app, for now?
You can use the WiiM App in tandem (All the sources listed) but not for accessing LMS through the WiiM App unless you install the UPnP Media Interface (not recommended). Trying to navigate via "Home Music Share" on the WiiM App is a nightmare.

Full LMS integration means that the WiiM will behave like a native LMS (SB) player and you will not need the UPnPBridge plugin. You would then control through Material.

Full integartion will bring player synchronisation and a couple of other features - Smart Crossfade and Smart Gain.

Full LMS integration means that the WiiM will behave like a native LMS (SB) player and you will not need the UPnPBridge plugin. You would then control through Material.

Full integartion will bring player synchronisation and a couple of other features - Smart Crossfade and Smart Gain.
Thanks for your replies. I think the case I ordered should keep the R-Pi cool enough the way it looks with a metal case the extruded "feet" that set on top of the circuits to dissipate the heat to the case. I was not expecting NTFS to work on the SSD, if it does, great, if not, still no problem.

If LMS through WiiM is not released soon, I might signup for the beta, but if LMS and WiiM Home work side by side, that is still OK with me.

Yesterday I was playing with the Material app in my living room just before lunch. The "tablet" experience is different. When I was done I checked all player locations (on the app) to be sure nothing was playing. I then pressed the app manager on the Android tables and closed all apps, then had lunch.

When done with lunch, I went back to my upstairs office and I seen my computer was in sleep mode which would be normal. I think there is a setting in LMS to prevent sleep, but this Windows server is only temporary so I didn't go through every setting. When I woke the computer from sleep, I can hear the stereo in the living room start playing from where I previously stopped the music before lunch.

How can I be sure a player (location) wont start up if the LMS wakes from sleep, a power glitch, reboot, or similar? Is Stopping the track not enough? Is there other steps I need to take so that a player does not play when the server resumes power for whatever reason?

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies. I think the case I ordered should keep the R-Pi cool enough the way it looks with a metal case the extruded "feet" that set on top of the circuits to dissipate the heat to the case. I was not expecting NTFS to work on the SSD, if it does, great, if not, still no problem.

If LMS through WiiM is not released soon, I might signup for the beta, but if LMS and WiiM Home work side by side, that is still OK with me.

Yesterday I was playing with the Material app in my living room just before lunch. The "tablet" experience is different. When I was done I checked all player locations (on the app) to be sure nothing was playing. I then pressed the app manager on the Android tables and closed all apps, then had lunch.

When done with lunch, I went back to my upstairs office and I seen my computer was in sleep mode which would be normal. I think there is a setting in LMS to prevent sleep, but this Windows server is only temporary so I didn't go through every setting. When I woke the computer from sleep, I can hear the stereo in the living room start playing from where I previously stopped the music before lunch.

How can I be sure a player (location) wont start up if the LMS wakes from sleep, a power glitch, reboot, or similar? Is Stopping the track not enough? Is there other steps I need to take so that a player does not play when the server resumes power for whatever reason?

Thanks!
In LMS Material, Settings / Player / Extra Settings / Audio Tab. Here you can choose what happens per device at power on/power off. E.g. Remain stopped at power on etc.

In LMS Material, Settings / Player / Extra Settings / Audio Tab. Here you can choose what happens per device at power on/power off. E.g. Remain stopped at power on etc.
Thanks! I will look at that. Several of my listening areas have the amp on all of the time. I would hate to disturb anyone if a device started to play unattended.

Back