Feedback Needed for the Forums

Not sure if XenForo has an option for that but personally I would prefer to show the absolute number of upvotes and downvotes, not just the balance. A total score of +1 could stem from just one upvote or from 101 upvotes and 100 downvotes. Certainly, the second would indicate a much hotter topic. I think it would increase the awareness of this cool feature.
Would a simple poll not do this? Just offer two choices.

Would a simple poll not do this? Just offer two choices.
It probably would, but technically it wouldn't be a feature request then. I cannot select the type of post in a votable sub-forum. It would have to be a poll in some other forum then, which doesn't make much sense.

This proposal doesn't have much priority for me. Possibly they didn't want make the votes appear like a battle on purpose.

There is an inconsistency between the type of some forums, not just votable v non-votable. I often came across that when trying to move posts around and got a warning message whose exact wording I don’t recall…
Would they be question threads, I can’t remember the exact name of them at the moment, but they allow individual posts within a thread to be selected as an answer, or something like that. 🤔

Would they be question threads, I can’t remember the exact name of them at the moment, but they allow individual posts within a thread to be selected as an answer, or something like that. 🤔
Not sure, but for example I just responded to a post in a troubleshooting forum which was votable - doesn’t make sense to have a vote for such a post.

Not sure, but for example I just responded to a post in a troubleshooting forum which was votable - doesn’t make sense to have a vote for such a post.
Isn't the idea simply to mark the best solution in the case of trouble shooting threads?

This is different from the feature requests where people can only vote for the original post.

PS:
How come "solutions" into existence anyway? Can the OP in a troubleshooting thread pick a reply as a "solution"? I didn't start a troubleshooting thread.

Looks like they aren't used that heavily ... :D

IMG_20241020_003919.jpg

Last edited:
The what are you listening to thread is in danger of becoming a big jumble of oversized images of obscure tracks. Post s should have some purpose, eg. Something that makes them unique, worthy of wider attention, etc. Maybe an anecdotes to accompany the post. Or artwork of distinction perhaps.
I think maybe this could have different threads per genre and/or release date (fresh discoveries vs classics)

Isn't the idea simply to mark the best solution in the case of trouble shooting threads?

This is different from the feature requests where people can only vote for the original post.

PS:
How come "solutions" into existence anyway? Can the OP in a troubleshooting thread pick a reply as a "solution"? Looks like I never started a troubleshooting thread.

Looks like they aren't use that heavily ... :D

View attachment 13138
Not sure, it’s just a bit of a jumble in places…

Mentioned above already but the structure with each "product" having separate feature request and sub sections is indeed not optimal. Feature requests in the Ultra thread often apply to other products as well (all, just not the mini etc).

Would be better to analyse last X topics and identify more logical grouping/areas.

I have one wish concerning this forum.
  • I have disabled all Push notifications in Account Preferences
  • When opening forum it shows banner in the bottom of the page with message:
  • I click x button to close the banner and instead of closing it shows new message trying to convince to enable push notifications:
  • So I click Never ask again
  • And guess what, when I next time visit in forum, same banner appears again.
I would really like forum to respect user's decision. If I select Never ask again, then please do not ask same thing again in next visit.

• I click x button to close the banner and instead of closing it shows new message trying to convince to enable push notifications:
I would really like forum to respect user's decision. If I select Never ask again, then please do not ask same thing again in next visit.
Did you clear your browser cache before visiting the forum again? I wonder if uses cookies for this.

This will be cookies, my browser clears cookies when I close it down and I get a lot of the banners from different sites.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the great feedback! There's a lot to sort through on a Monday :)

One big thing I want to try and plan for is the growth of our forums. We've doubled in active members quarter over quarter pretty regularly, not to mention getting even more people coming for one off question drive-by. And as more WiiM products come out, the list of forums for each one of them might get a bit crowded.
As cooky560 and slartibartfast suggest, this choice is most likely cookie based. The site doesn't remember your selection, it's stored in a cookie on your browser. No cookie, no memory. I don't think there's a way to make that choice account based as a setting, but I'll check it out just in case.

Get rid if the thread/post up/down voting.
I saw several people talking about this, along with harkpabst's comment about solutions. In many communities you'd find the troubleshooting board would be full of a "question" type post where someone is looking for a solution or answer. Xenforo has voting on that post type as you've all noted, so that good answers can be highlighted, and the author or a moderator can select any of the replies as the "solution". Solutions will get pulled to the top of the thread and highlighted. We could also make it so a certain tier of community member can mark solutions, maybe people that don't have moderation level capabilities, but know a good answer when they see it.

The way our board is currently designed, the troubleshooting forums don't require the question post type, in fact it defaults to "discussion" which doesn't have solutions or voting. Solutions are good for search engine optimization and to help people find answers, which is why a lot of troubleshooting boards lean in into having some sort of solution mechanic. Forum admins can also usually do some fun things with solutions on the back end like building out leaderboards and having awards and prizes for top solvers.

It might be more helpful to new members for a more streamlined "get help" category where they can ask their questions and we can all help them find answers. Ideally, with more solutions people will find the answers by searching instead of just asking the same questions over and over again. I'd love to get your take on this too!

On that note, one mechanic we haven't done much with is Resources, which are articles that are hosted on the forums, another way to put common answers in front of people prior to searching.

The biggest improvement to the WiiM forum, would be if WiiM staff/team members would actually reply to questions posted on the forum, especially when they have been tagged into the post in question, rather than just ignore them as they currently do with most of them.

I think that most forum members would appreciate this, I know that I certainly would.
We'll definitely try to get in there more! I'm still getting up to speed on some things so I might have to just let you know I'll look into it and circle back with you. This time of year is always crazy and I know the teams are stressed, but I'll be trying to lighten the load for them as much as I can. Thanks for your patience!

Rather than changing the layout, which, I think, is fine as it is, I think the most useful thing would be to open a permanent sub forum where you would have to play a leading role. What am I talking about? A sub forum called for example WiiM Live. Obviously you are better at finding a better name.;)
What should it do? Simple, scattered throughout all the various sub forums there are a lot of questions regarding features or problems with WiiM that remain unanswered and endless speculations about this or that.
Well, for all these questions you should act as an interpreter at WiiM and give us certain answers, thus ending speculations about the sex of angels
This could be a good use for Questions with Solutions. Threads can be converted into Questions and a solution marked if it's something that keeps coming up. That way it's easier to find. Also, it may be help to have a "top topics" type section/post/FAQ somewhere (maybe along the side as a banner) that has links to some of these answers.

As an aside, since I'm still pretty new around here I certainly don't know all of those questions yet, and probably don't have the answers. But if you can think of some that would be great to get definitive answers to, can you PM me them? I can't promise I'll be able to get you a good answer, but I'll do my best.

Would you all be interested in having some guest stars come to the forums? Like if I could get an AMA with some folks either live or asynchronous?

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the great feedback! There's a lot to sort through on a Monday :)

One big thing I want to try and plan for is the growth of our forums. We've doubled in active members quarter over quarter pretty regularly, not to mention getting even more people coming for one off question drive-by. And as more WiiM products come out, the list of forums for each one of them might get a bit crowded.

As cooky560 and slartibartfast suggest, this choice is most likely cookie based. The site doesn't remember your selection, it's stored in a cookie on your browser. No cookie, no memory. I don't think there's a way to make that choice account based as a setting, but I'll check it out just in case.

I saw several people talking about this, along with harkpabst's comment about solutions. In many communities you'd find the troubleshooting board would be full of a "question" type post where someone is looking for a solution or answer. Xenforo has voting on that post type as you've all noted, so that good answers can be highlighted, and the author or a moderator can select any of the replies as the "solution". Solutions will get pulled to the top of the thread and highlighted. We could also make it so a certain tier of community member can mark solutions, maybe people that don't have moderation level capabilities, but know a good answer when they see it.

The way our board is currently designed, the troubleshooting forums don't require the question post type, in fact it defaults to "discussion" which doesn't have solutions or voting. Solutions are good for search engine optimization and to help people find answers, which is why a lot of troubleshooting boards lean in into having some sort of solution mechanic. Forum admins can also usually do some fun things with solutions on the back end like building out leaderboards and having awards and prizes for top solvers.

It might be more helpful to new members for a more streamlined "get help" category where they can ask their questions and we can all help them find answers. Ideally, with more solutions people will find the answers by searching instead of just asking the same questions over and over again. I'd love to get your take on this too!

On that note, one mechanic we haven't done much with is Resources, which are articles that are hosted on the forums, another way to put common answers in front of people prior to searching.

We'll definitely try to get in there more! I'm still getting up to speed on some things so I might have to just let you know I'll look into it and circle back with you. This time of year is always crazy and I know the teams are stressed, but I'll be trying to lighten the load for them as much as I can. Thanks for your patience!

This could be a good use for Questions with Solutions. Threads can be converted into Questions and a solution marked if it's something that keeps coming up. That way it's easier to find. Also, it may be help to have a "top topics" type section/post/FAQ somewhere (maybe along the side as a banner) that has links to some of these answers.

As an aside, since I'm still pretty new around here I certainly don't know all of those questions yet, and probably don't have the answers. But if you can think of some that would be great to get definitive answers to, can you PM me them? I can't promise I'll be able to get you a good answer, but I'll do my best.

Would you all be interested in having some guest stars come to the forums? Like if I could get an AMA with some folks either live or asynchronous?

Re up/down voting… keep ‘up’ to determine popularity/value and eliminate down.

What might be useful is for the forum members to get to know (or at least know about) some of the people behind WiiM, from the corporate staff to their lead hardware and software developers in order to put a name and/or face to those who are responsible for WiiM and their devices. For example, while I had many conversations with WiiM behind the scenes, I still have no idea who the person was to whom I was speaking, or indeed whether it was the same person as last time. We don’t want or need their email addresses to unnecessarily pester them 😉 but it would help humanise contact between WiiM and their users.

Also, I think it’s imperative that any news or information that comes out from WiiM is authoritative and consistent. We’ve had several instances where messaging has been mixed, along with news about imminent developments like YouTube Music and Disney Music (?) that don’t appear to have left the drawing board.

Back