Fixed volume vs volume limit

and that means now?
Just for my personal curiosity..you've wrote you use Roon, me too. So leaving the settings fixed or 100 and 100 and let the rest of the job with Roon is no good idea?

Just for my personal curiosity..you've wrote you use Roon, me too. So leaving the settings fixed or 100 and 100 and let the rest of the job with Roon is no good idea?
sure it is, but was only a general question

So output volume level as decimal value = volume on the device as decimal value (1 for fixed) x volume limiter as decimal value.

Decimal value is in the range <0..1>.

TBH I don't think it's a good idea.
Why you think is not a good idea?

I would rather expect the limiter to limit the maximum volume level possible, not to affect the volume all the time. Just my personal opinion.
If you have fixed volume 100% and limiter to 90% doesn’t that mean that the output is 90% of the maximum ? By maximum I mean 2v rms

Last edited:
If you have fixed volume 100% and limiter to 90% doesn’t that mean that the output is 90% of the maximum ?
It does indeed, but consider also another case - volume at 50% and limiter at 75%. What result would you expect?

It does indeed, but consider also another case - volume at 50% and limiter at 75%. What result would you expect?
0.5*2v*0.75= 0.75 vrms . Yes it should allow only the correct one way setting that means volume should always be fixed to 100%

Edit : 37.5 % volume

This limiter create confusion. It’s a multiplier for those who want more than 2V out. Would that create clipping beyond 2v?

0.5*2v*0.75= 0.75 vrms . Yes it should allow only the correct one way setting that means volume should always be fixed to 100%

Edit : 37.5 % volume
The problem is that 10% volume reduction has different impact than 10% limiter reduction. For 90% volume the signal is attenuated by 3.18 dB, but for 90% limiter it's attenuated by 6 dB. Total volume attenuated by 31.08 dB for my 50% and 75% case.

In terms of voltage it's a drop from 2 Vrms to 0.06 Vrms.

Anyway, I would expect it to be at 50%. And increasing when volume increases, but never exceeding 75%.

Last edited:
I mean what’s the idea of this limiter if they want low out they can just turn off fixed volume and adjust it from there

I mean what’s the idea of this limiter if they want low out they can just turn off fixed volume and adjust it from there
To add some headroom in the digital domain, to prevent from reaching unwanted volume levels. The WiiM will never exceed -6 dBFS when limiter is set to 90%, for example.

To me, it seems like a bug to have the limiter enabled when using fixed volume output. It is just confusing and not what people will want in the vast majority of cases where fixed volume is used.

I would call it a feature, which lets to maintain a fixed volume at the level lower than maximum to provide some headroom. At the cost of loosing bit perfectness.

Back