Let's update power cable with something shielded

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Why not, right?
I found one sold on Amazon under the Tertullus brand (no, it's not Tellurium), it's cheap so suitable for the role ;)
The resistance check for mains first.
A stock one:
PXL_20241009_193749640_exported_1728557154964.jpg

A shielded one:
PXL_20241009_193842432.jpg

Definitely better.

Now something much more important - a test of shielding efficiency with the NCV sensor, which can detect the presence of AC voltage.

A stock one:
PXL_20241010_103651016.jpg

4 bars, the led is blinking all the time along with the buzzing.

And a shielded one:
PXL_20241010_103927085.jpg

Simply nothing, complete silence. Wow!
I want it now :D But...

It does not fit when USB port is also used... :(
PXL_20241010_104107470.jpg

I will have to use an adapter for C7/C14, someone mentioned it already on the forum.

To be continued...

I see and understand your measurements. What I don't understand: What effect should the shielded cable have on the sound? If the incoming mains voltage is ‘dirty’ - whatever that means - it doesn't make it any cleaner, does it?
Can you publish any meaningful measurements of the output signal with both mains cables that prove an ‘improvement’?

What effect should the shielded cable have on the sound?
Probably no effect at all, at least not in my environment.

If the incoming mains voltage is ‘dirty’ - whatever that means - it doesn't make it any cleaner, does it?
No, it doesn't. All I expect it does is protecting other cables in the close vicinity, especially signal ones, from interferencing from the mains.

Can you publish any meaningful measurements of the output signal with both mains cables that prove an ‘improvement’?
That's the plan. Of course if I find anything.
I'm gonna replace a DAC cable and an amp cable too. Listening tests included as well ;)

Did u see any differences ?

I'm pretty skeptical about this little gain who will probably change nothing to my ears.

I like such tests, and I'm happy to wait for the results.

Even if I don't know much about it, this ->
All I expect it does is protecting other cables in the close vicinity, especially signal ones, from interferencing from the mains.
seems reasonable to me

Back