LifeHack: Playscreen on TV with any WiiM-streamer

Aquarius

My biggest wish for the Ultra was to have a HDMI-output for showing a playscreen on a TV. As we know that did’nt happen.

I considered some options and landed on this one.

You need a old phone or iPad, and a Lightning (or USB) to HDMI-adapter. I have tested with both a iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Mini.

Install the WiiM Home app on the old phone/pad. This app will show the exact same thing as the app you have on your «new» everyday-phone.

Connect HDMI- and chargercable to the adapter and you are up and running without more fuzz.

IMG_5297.jpeg
IMG_5298.jpeg

Picture on 50’’ TV with iPhone:
IMG_5299.jpeg

Picture on same TV with iPad Mini:
IMG_5300.jpeg

A little larger coverart with the iPad as you see. Would be nice if it was possible to show a more fullscreen-view of the app @WiiM Team - or maybe a dedicated iPad app that makes use of the bigger screen with a little different layout 🙂

I have an Nvidia Shield, but any android based TV streaming box will work: I use Roon and it will broadcast to the TV when I play music. I also have the Tidal app installed, and can play directly from that on the TV. Both look great.

I wonder if a very simple app for smart TVs would be possible.

It wouldn’t need to do anything other than be told what was playing in your phone/tablet and display the artwork.

Last edited:
No "we" don't.
Correct, it can also be done like Roon does it, or as Steve Woodhouse says - just to have a WiiM app on the TV or GoogleTV/Apple TV that shows a mirror of whats playing.

Spotify on TV work that way. Have the app open on the TV, open Spotify on phone and use Connect to WiiM streamer. When you play songs, the WiiM will Play music and the Spotify-app on the TV shows the playscreen.

Last edited:
I wonder if a very simple app for smart TVs would be possible.

It wouldn’t need to do anything other than be told what was playing in your phone/tablet and display the artwork.
If your tv has chromecast built in you can add this and the wiim to a group and it will display the now playing screen.

If your tv has chromecast built in you can add this and the wiim to a group and it will display the now playing screen.
Can you elaborate on this or refer me to a resource that explains what you're describing?

Can you elaborate on this or refer me to a resource that explains what you're describing?
This, I believe:

In the google home app ensure both the tv and wiim are assigned to a room (not necessarily the same room).
Then, still in google home app, create a group of those two devices.
Use whatever app, e.g. spotify, to play to that group.

This, I believe:

In the google home app ensure both the tv and wiim are assigned to a room (not necessarily the same room).
Then, still in google home app, create a group of those two devices.
Use whatever app, e.g. spotify, to play to that group.
Yes, like this, I used a google nest hub to display the now playing but it works on the tv as well.

Yeah, I tried this method, and am guessing there's a problem with my specific TV, a 65" Vizio. I'm able t create the group in Google home, and see the group in the device options in Spotify, but when I choose it, the music starts to stream/play on the WIIM, but the connection to the tv never establishes. The connection icon in Spotify just continues to flash 😞

If I choose the tv separately it will cast to the tv, and I can get the sound via toslink output to the WIIM, so that's my solution.

Yeah, I tried this method, and am guessing there's a problem with my specific TV, a 65" Vizio. I'm able t create the group in Google home, and see the group in the device options in Spotify, but when I choose it, the music starts to stream/play on the WIIM, but the connection to the tv never establishes. The connection icon in Spotify just continues to flash 😞

If I choose the tv separately it will cast to the tv, and I can get the sound via toslink output to the WIIM, so that's my solution.
Yes I found that Chromecast groups are a bit flakey, I often had to search for the Wiim to ensure it was included in the group:(

Back