Listening impressions with the WiiM Ultra compared to the WiiM pro+ and compared to other streamers

Not in my experience. Listen and make up your own mind.

I can only echo that.

There was an early perceived limitation of optical where it was thought it could only handle CD quality, and not the higher spec audio formats, but that doesn’t now appear to be the case.

Some people talk about click drift, but that really only matters if you’re using two separate DACs.

I can only echo that.

There was an early perceived limitation of optical where it was thought it could only handle CD quality, and not the higher spec audio formats, but that doesn’t now appear to be the case.

Some people talk about click drift, but that really only matters if you’re using two separate DACs.
Chord electronics now state that optical is the best connection ( also better than USB ) .

Hovever , my Rega dac sounds better with spdif electrical connection .

After having Apple Music , now I can also state that TIDAL connect is better sounding, much better also on convenience , because you dont need airplay . I dont regret the switch .

Last edited:
Well I bought Audioquest carbon optical to test this connection for pro plus…But now returning to qed performance digital audio coaxial which is cheaper but sounds better . I wasted money…

All I can say is the USB out of the Ultra sounds much better then the coax or optical out of the Pro feeding the same DAC. I haven’t compared USB vs Optical/Coax out of the Ultra yet but since my DAC does USB, I see no reason to try. With USB to a high quality DAC, the DAC does the clocking instead of the WiiM. It’s the only reason I wanted to try the Ultra vs my beloved Pro.

How does one select USB as the output to your DAC On the ultra? I only see the other outputs as options?

How does one select USB as the output to your DAC On the ultra? I only see the other outputs as options?
A firmware update will bring that. Tests are currently in a beta phase. I expect to see a public release soon.

Such as the one Wiim posted a couple of hours ago? ;)
Be aware that, in the beta at least, the external dac needs to be powered on, and usb output can only be chosen from the app, not the ultra screen.

The option for usb output will only appear when you have the up to date firmware and app AND when an external DAC is detected.

Reactions: vdp
But it’s more a review of the features,

Yes. Some comments on the sound quality, though.

I like Matt, and this is yet another very politic excursion around the differing demands of objectivist and subjectivist viewers. :ROFLMAO:

Long may it continue.

I received the WiiM Ultra about a week ago from Crutchfield. First test out of the box was to compare analog out (using the WiiM internal DAC) to coaxial output; both are connected to my Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-processor. First impression was that both connections were very good with coaxial output sounding slightly fuller/richer in sound to my ears. I will go back to do more comparison now that the new update allows me to easily switch between outputs when an audio source is playing. I will also see if I can get improved results out of the room correction feature.

Overall an excellent value for a product with so many features and options when compared to other audio streamers. I'm using Spotify, Tidal, DLNA (Jriver Media Center), and a USB stick (loaded with Flac recordings) for playback material.

I received the WiiM Ultra about a week ago from Crutchfield. First test out of the box was to compare analog out (using the WiiM internal DAC) to coaxial output; both are connected to my Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-processor. First impression was that both connections were very good with coaxial output sounding slightly fuller/richer in sound to my ears. I will go back to do more comparison now that the new update allows me to easily switch between outputs when an audio source is playing. I will also see if I can get improved results out of the room correction feature.

Overall an excellent value for a product with so many features and options when compared to other audio streamers. I'm using Spotify, Tidal, DLNA (Jriver Media Center), and a USB stick (loaded with Flac recordings) for playback material.
without RC, there was some bominess when using both speakers with sub. Run RC, it shave 12db on 90hz. Now, sounds more balanced. There were some minor cut and boost in the range of frequency but the biggest cut was 90hz.

UK orders started shipping from some retailers. Many will be able to get their hands on the Ultra tomorrow

I don't want to be rude but that doesn't make much sense...

D->A conversion is a well understood process... It's proven (Nyquist theorem from memory) that sampling at frequency F can pretty much represent the signal exactly at any frequency up to F/2 (minus quantisation from the limited bit depth), but there is absolutely no reason 2 different DACs couldn't generate exactly the same analog output signal from the same digital one within that frequency domain.

Now I understand that impulse response is tricky and that's where the DAC filters come in.

So off hand if you have two 'good' DACs (let's say flat Freq response within the audible domain, noise floor & distortion around -110dB or below), what can possibly make them 'sound different' ? Appart from that filter (and the choices here seem to be the same for all manufacturers, but maybe the DACs you tested have a different default?) or some load related aberration (distortion) in the output analog circuit (but that would have been reflected in the above mentioned noise floor & distortion measurement) ...

I'm really trying to understand here, not lecturing... IE trying to reconcile what I understand of the electronics & math involved (granted quite possibly incomplete) with your experience...

If they sound different to you then there must be *something* that can be measured that differs and I wonder what it can be. There is no magic, it's all pretty grounded in math and physics...
Showing naive views on the D-->A conversion. I was listening to an LG C3 Amazon Music app into an NAD 3045 using HDMI ARC. Same Amazon Music using a FireTV into an HDMI input on the LG. The D-->A conversion is in the NAD (?); however, the sound between the native LG App and the Fire TV one is different. More 'deep', more presence. a better experience. (We are in a thread dealing with experience...)
Somewhere between the Amazon servers and my loudspeakers, some data manipulation does happen.

I am expecting the Ultra Thursday. My plan was to use it as a preamp to the NAD, feeding it with the LG ARC, and outputting an analog line level signal. Should I use the Toslink instead? Or will I be disappointed if all DAC sound the same? Or do I need to shell out 10k for new speakers.

Showing naive views on the D-->A conversion. I was listening to an LG C3 Amazon Music app into an NAD 3045 using HDMI ARC. Same Amazon Music using a FireTV into an HDMI input on the LG. The D-->A conversion is in the NAD (?); however, the sound between the native LG App and the Fire TV one is different. More 'deep', more presence. a better experience. (We are in a thread dealing with experience...)
Somewhere between the Amazon servers and my loudspeakers, some data manipulation does happen.

I am expecting the Ultra Thursday. My plan was to use it as a preamp to the NAD, feeding it with the LG ARC, and outputting an analog line level signal. Should I use the Toslink instead? Or will I be disappointed if all DAC sound the same? Or do I need to shell out 10k for new speakers.
Ultra as name implies meaning won’t have lousy sound but beautiful sound. Depends how good your hearing and know what to look in sound before and after. Only way is try it out and see if you like what you hear whether what you hear is an improvement. I got my ultra few days ago I say it would satisfy most listeners but the most hardcore audiophile. Let us know your feedback and this will help others waiting on their ultra. Happy listening!

Not to mention how many buyers fell for this snake oil.
All of my cables come from monoprice. My system sounds amazing, so I agree with you on the snake oil bit. Don't get me wrong, they are well made cables but they don't charge big bucks for them. I think my xlr cables were about 15 bucks and my rca cables were about 12 bucks, all per pair. Beats the happy crud out of audioquest.

All of my cables come from monoprice. My system sounds amazing, so I agree with you on the snake oil bit. Don't get me wrong, they are well made cables but they don't charge big bucks for them. I think my xlr cables were about 15 bucks and my rca cables were about 12 bucks, all per pair. Beats the happy crud out of audioquest.

Back