Listening impressions with the WiiM Ultra compared to the WiiM pro+ and compared to other streamers

USB better than coax on Ultra. Also coax is more prone to a CastLite bug currently under analysis that causes interruptions. USB mitigates that CastLite bug. The CastLite bug will be fixed in any case.
Mine will arrive this weekend. I will put it again to the dac that I like do200 mkii. That dac uses dual ess 9068 and dual 5 high end opa 1916. All these technical specs is nice but what’s matter how it will deliver aside from transparency. Transparency with width and depth.

There’s a reason for that… USB is asynchronous so that offers the DAC's USB input port designer the ability to buffer the stream and re=clock it with a higher precision clock.
Among reviewer out there based on subjective, iiwi provide good information regarding bass mid and high whether it’s sound laid back or forward. Of course, subjective is never consider by many since it wasn’t measured.

Many posts about external DACs. Is the Ultra's internal DAC really that bad? I'm pretty confused right now.

Among reviewer out there based on subjective, iiwi provide good information regarding bass mid and high whether it’s sound laid back or forward. Of course, subjective is never consider by many since it wasn’t measured.

Subjective not a factor when ten people listen and all agree..

But 10 best recipes.
Best is vague since everyone taste is different. What’s good on that person won’t be good on the next. What’s best as in neutral transparent forward sounding? What if one person say best will give chill of 3d sound that gives width and depth like the sound of bipolar definitive technology?

Kind of like asking 10 Italians to give you the best recipe for spaghetti sauce. You'll get 10 different answers.
Yeah, that. But in the Ultra case I get unanimous preference for usb out via unison.

USB transfer has the teoretical problem of 8 KHz USB packaging noise.

My Apple computer with USB out to my asynkron USB input Rega dac R sounds slightly worse than my WiiM pro with coaxial to my Rega dac R . This with TIDAL connect .

Maybe my battery powered Max M1 is very noisy through usb or the Rega implementation is less good through usb input ?

I find it interesting with the Ultras USB output that it might sound better .

I guess it all depends on the dac ? If thats the case one must try different transfers depending on the dac .

USB transfer has the teoretical problem of 8 KHz USB packaging noise.

My Apple computer with USB out to my asynkron USB input Rega dac R sounds slightly worse than my WiiM pro with coaxial to my Rega dac R . This with TIDAL connect .

Maybe my battery powered Max M1 is very noisy through usb or the Rega implementation is less good through usb input ?

I find it interesting with the Ultras USB output that it might sound better .

I guess it all depends on the dac ? If thats the case one must try different transfers depending on the dac .
Correct, it depends on the DAC.

Many posts about external DACs. Is the Ultra's internal DAC really that bad? I'm pretty confused right now.
Not at all. I just suspect many of us already feed other WiiM devices to external DACs and are now getting the Ultra. I posted in the Listening thread that the Ultra internal DAC vs feeding my Pontus II DAC was very close. I was quite surprised how good the Ultra sounded and it’s much better then the internal DACs on the Mini and Pro.

I see a lot of people using coax out rather than toslink , is it superior?
Should be. Toslink adds further signal conversions - electrons to photons and back. I use coax in the Pro.

Ugh ? And why would those 'conversions' matter for a digital stream ? On the contrary toslink gives you galvanic isolation
They do offer isolation but noise can creep in into those conversions.

Back