Loving the Ultra!

Cal_Cobra

I per-ordered the Ultra eons ago when it was widely marketed as being AirPlay2 ready or whatever, and we all know how that worked out. I'm not married to Apple Music so I decided to try Amazon Music Unlimited, and hit a funky Amazon Music Cloud/WiiM Ultra bug that oddly didn't effect all Amazon Music users, so perhaps it was some weird Amazon cloud regional thing, not sure, but WiiM support did indicate on the trouble ticket it was Amazon Cloud related.

After the latest Ultra and WiiM Home app updates, Amazon Music is working pretty good [occasional hick-up, but tolerable]. For schitts and giggles I decided to try a variety of other music streaming services, and honestly I keep coming back to Amazon. More of the catalog that I listen to is in hi-res there than any other service I've tried, they also have a nice variety of extras like alternate mixes, tons of live recordings, many in 24/96 or better, to my eyes it looks like Amazon is on their A game and I think I can safely cancel all other streaming music services and enjoy Amazon Unlimited for $9.99/month.

Everything sounds fantastic on the Ultra, I mean it really sounds outstanding! In my opinion the Saber DAC on the Ultra sounds every bit as good as my Topping E70 Velvet or SMSL DO200 PRO, so other then trying to jimmy up a DAC with balanced XLR to go balanced out to your amp, or some other niche use case, the onboard DAC is a winner! After adding a 12" sealed AT 300W RMS active sub, and running the room calibration my dedicated 2.1 system sounds fantastic, and that's using a pair of Sony test speakers, which will be replaced by some killer Swans and I'll rerun the room correction routing again for the new speakers.

The more I use the Ultra, the more I'm loving it!! I'm even considering taking the coax or fiber out from my Oppo 105D Blu Ray player and running it to the Ultra. That would make the Oppo attached to THREE different systems haha HDMI out to my Onkyo AVR 5.2.4 Atmos setup, stereo XLR to a Dartzeel NHB-108 reference design [upgraded] Transaudio amp using the Oppo Saber32 9018 Reference DAC, and then a digital out that would use the internal DAC on the Ultra which will likely go to a pair of Fosi Audio V3 mono blocks. It would be interesting to see if there's any difference between the two Saber32 DACs from the same Oppo source.

Over all I'm thrilled with the WiiM Ultra, it's my first WiiM product and it's impressive to say the least. I'll continue adding to it, I have a Dayton Audio turntable I'll hook up to it, and that'll likely do it for a while. Hopefully WiiM will add some fun things, like a variety of VU meters both analog and digital, maybe some cool screen savers, and they have one button space left on the Home screen, what will become of that valuable screen real-estate? A new WiiM Ultra app? Or?

The Ultra is probably the best bang for the buck in audio gear right now, just waiting for the Roon certification... Very happy with mine!
Room certification is done. :)

You just have to wait for the latest firmware on your individual WiiM Ultra now.

I per-ordered the Ultra eons ago when it was widely marketed as being AirPlay2 ready or whatever, and we all know how that worked out. I'm not married to Apple Music so I decided to try Amazon Music Unlimited, and hit a funky Amazon Music Cloud/WiiM Ultra bug that oddly didn't effect all Amazon Music users, so perhaps it was some weird Amazon cloud regional thing, not sure, but WiiM support did indicate on the trouble ticket it was Amazon Cloud related.

After the latest Ultra and WiiM Home app updates, Amazon Music is working pretty good [occasional hick-up, but tolerable]. For schitts and giggles I decided to try a variety of other music streaming services, and honestly I keep coming back to Amazon. More of the catalog that I listen to is in hi-res there than any other service I've tried, they also have a nice variety of extras like alternate mixes, tons of live recordings, many in 24/96 or better, to my eyes it looks like Amazon is on their A game and I think I can safely cancel all other streaming music services and enjoy Amazon Unlimited for $9.99/month.

Everything sounds fantastic on the Ultra, I mean it really sounds outstanding! In my opinion the Saber DAC on the Ultra sounds every bit as good as my Topping E70 Velvet or SMSL DO200 PRO, so other then trying to jimmy up a DAC with balanced XLR to go balanced out to your amp, or some other niche use case, the onboard DAC is a winner! After adding a 12" sealed AT 300W RMS active sub, and running the room calibration my dedicated 2.1 system sounds fantastic, and that's using a pair of Sony test speakers, which will be replaced by some killer Swans and I'll rerun the room correction routing again for the new speakers.

The more I use the Ultra, the more I'm loving it!! I'm even considering taking the coax or fiber out from my Oppo 105D Blu Ray player and running it to the Ultra. That would make the Oppo attached to THREE different systems haha HDMI out to my Onkyo AVR 5.2.4 Atmos setup, stereo XLR to a Dartzeel NHB-108 reference design [upgraded] Transaudio amp using the Oppo Saber32 9018 Reference DAC, and then a digital out that would use the internal DAC on the Ultra which will likely go to a pair of Fosi Audio V3 mono blocks. It would be interesting to see if there's any difference between the two Saber32 DACs from the same Oppo source.

Over all I'm thrilled with the WiiM Ultra, it's my first WiiM product and it's impressive to say the least. I'll continue adding to it, I have a Dayton Audio turntable I'll hook up to it, and that'll likely do it for a while. Hopefully WiiM will add some fun things, like a variety of VU meters both analog and digital, maybe some cool screen savers, and they have one button space left on the Home screen, what will become of that valuable screen real-estate? A new WiiM Ultra app? Or?
Your Ultra/Fosi mono setup is exactly what I’m planning as well. I have the Monos on pre-order through Amazon. After having tested the regular WiiM amp for the last few weeks and being so impressed with it, I decided to get the Ultra and Fosi amps, and I’ll move the WiiM amp to another room. How are you planning to connect the amps to the ultra? There’s only a single RCA out, right?

Your Ultra/Fosi mono setup is exactly what I’m planning as well. I have the Monos on pre-order through Amazon. After having tested the regular WiiM amp for the last few weeks and being so impressed with it, I decided to get the Ultra and Fosi amps, and I’ll move the WiiM amp to another room. How are you planning to connect the amps to the ultra? There’s only a single RCA out, right?
Yes one RCA out, but other outputs that could be used with additional gear if needed. I'm debating if I want to go RCA or XLR. I might use the RCA>XLR cables :) LIke these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0D1TNRWBD

The DAC is so good on the Ultra that I hate to sacrifice a stand-alone DAC just to get balanced XLR. I'm on the fence if I'll use the Fosi V3 monos or my Transaudio Dartzeel NHB-108 amp (an amazing amp). I'll test the V3's for sure. Too many choices :unsure:

Last edited:
Yes one RCA out, but other outputs that could be used with additional gear if needed. I'm debating if I want to go RCA or XLR. I might use the RCA>XLR cables :) The DAC is so good on the Ultra that I hate to sacrifice a stand-alone DAC just to get balanced XLR. I'm on the fence if I'll use the Fosi V3 monos or my Transaudio Dartzeel NHB-108 amp (an amazing amp). I'll test the V3's for sure. Too many choices :unsure:
Please report back on how you test. When are you supposed to get the Fosis? I’m showing Aug 10 for mine.

Reactions: sNc
Please report back on how you test. When are you supposed to get the Fosis? I’m showing Aug 10 for mine.
I already have the V3Ms, I got them on their Kick Starter drive along with their new SP601 speaker package (that may end up being a mistake?). They shipped me two V3Ms, PSUs, and 3 MUSE02 opamps (speakers are still being designed apparently), so I guess I'll swap opamps out to see if I can hear any difference. Most folks on ASR claim their snakeoil, but seems how they came with the package, I'll round up one more and take the Pepsi Challenge 🥤

Reactions: sNc
I'm debating if I want to go RCA or XLR. I might use the RCA>XLR cables
It's not worth it, I think. No matter what adapter cable you use, the connection still isn't balanced, so the genuine benefit of comon-mode interference rejection does not apply. Also, the V3 Monos will not show the better SINAD value as measured e.g. by Amir.

Just stick with good quality RCA cables and you are fine.

This depends on the speaker sensitivity, room size and desired volume, but I found the 25 dB setting on the V3 Monos perfectly suitable with the Uktra's max output voltage set to 2 Volts.

Last edited:
It's not worth it,.I think. No matter what adapter cable you use the connection still isn't balanced, so the genuine benefit of comon-mode interference rejection does not apply. Also, the V3 Monos will not show the better SINAD value as measured e.g. by Amir.

Just stick with good quality RCA cables and you are fine.

This depends on the speaker sensitivity, room size and desired volume, but I found the 25 dB setting on the V3 Monos perfectly suitable with the Uktra's max output voltage set to 2 Volts.
But it’s one RCA out, right? So just attach a basic splitter and run “good” RCA cables off Of it to the amps or what? Genuine question. I’ve never had separates.

I already have the V3Ms, I got them on their Kick Starter drive along with their new SP601 speaker package (that may end up being a mistake?). They shipped me two V3Ms, PSUs, and 3 MUSE02 opamps (speakers are still being designed apparently), so I guess I'll swap opamps out to see if I can hear any difference. Most folks on ASR claim their snakeoil, but seems how they came with the package, I'll round up one more and take the Pepsi Challenge 🥤
How are you liking the Fosis? You got the 5 or 10amp bricks? What speakers?

How are you liking the Fosis? You got the 5 or 10amp bricks? What speakers?
Right now I'm running the Ultra with a Transaudio Dartzeel NHB-108 amp, I don't have the V3M amps setup yet. I'm running on temporary Sony bookshelf speakers with an AT 12" 300W RMS sealed active subwoofer and it sounds pretty amazing as is, but I plan to swap the Sony speakers for my much better Swans. My V3Ms came with the 5A power supplies, but I already have a pair of 48V 7.3A PSUs I'll use:

1722743664388.png

But it’s one RCA out, right? So just attach a basic splitter and run “good” RCA cables off Of it to the amps or what? Genuine question. I’ve never had separates.
Maybe I misunderstood your question, but it's a pair of left and right stereo RCA outs, so you'd run the RCA left out and RCA right out to each mono block.

I'm very happy with my Wiim Ultra. I have better imagiing and a larger soundstage and most of the singers sound more centered. Also my bass seems to be tighter. I'm running it through an older Denon amp in Direct Mode but will eventually replace that with something new, maybe monoblocks. I have a pair of Def Tech Towers and a Speedwoofer 10. It fills my 12x20x18 foot room and the room correction has really helped with an odd shaped room. I've played a little with the EQ, but need to spend more time with it. And I'm using Tidal Connect, works great, no pops at all.

Maybe I misunderstood your question, but it's a pair of left and right stereo RCA outs, so you'd run the RCA left out and RCA right out to each mono block.
Ah, good. For some reason I was thinking it would be like the WiiM amp, which I think has a single RCA out. Going off memory though. My bad.

Right now I'm running the Ultra with a Transaudio Dartzeel NHB-108 amp, I don't have the V3M amps setup yet. I'm running on temporary Sony bookshelf speakers with an AT 12" 300W RMS sealed active subwoofer and it sounds pretty amazing as is, but I plan to swap the Sony speakers for my much better Swans. My V3Ms came with the 5A power supplies, but I already have a pair of 48V 7.3A PSUs I'll use:

View attachment 9886
What are the details on those PSUs? Where’d you get them? Will they have the right connection to plug into Fosis?

Ah, good. For some reason I was thinking it would be like the WiiM amp, which I think has a single RCA out. Going off memory though. My bad.
The WiiM Amp has one monophonic RCA subwoofer out. The WiiM Ultra has stereo RCA outs and the monophonic RCA subwoofer out.

What are the details on those PSUs? Where’d you get them? Will they have the right connection to plug into Fosis?
Originally I was going to go with a pair of Aiyima A07 Max in mono mode and I ordered these PSUs for them, but when the Fosi V3 Kick Starter launched, I decided to go with the Fosi V3 instead. This was before I had any idea I was going to be getting an Ultra.

These are the PSUs I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799825157862.html

They have the correct power plugs, but if you want to go all out, you can even order upgraded power cables: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804474916867.html

Room certification is done. :)

You just have to wait for the latest firmware on your individual WiiM Ultra now.

I installed the Roon upgrade and have the Ultra running it with the Roon Nucleus One, just incredible what this little $329 streamer is doing. It is darn close to matching my Volumio Rivo network bridge streamer. The Rivo still sounds a bit better, but not enough to send the Ultra back, it is staying.

I've had my WiiM Ultra for about a week now and am quite impressed by it, especially for the price of an easy-to-setup-and-use commercial product. I was up and running in 10 minutes and half of that time was a firmware update out of the box. I also have a Mini and Pro elsewhere in my systems, though the Pro is currently replaced by the Ultra. My wife has always been frustrated by my RPi based players (whether pCP or HFB OS) so probably the biggest "like" about the Ultra is just how easy it is to use for her, especially with the Alexa capable voice remote.

Here's a short summary of my likes, annoyances, and suggestions.

LIST OF LIKES: excellent sounding DAC - better than expected; ease of setup; can select & play songs via WiiM app, screen, voice remote or as Squeezelite player using LMS -- switching between these options is very easy; respectable quality headphone output (shy of my several dedicated Schiit headphone amps but not bad); EQ ease of use and multiple custom presets; voice remote is easy to use. The room correction feature (beta on my setup) is turning into a game-changer for a $329 device. The subwoofer out, choice of crossover frequency and integration of sub and main speakers is very well done -- it has made my setup much simpler.

LIST OF ANNOYANCES: no add'l gain available beyond unity when used as preamp (need depends on power amp used); clock display often hard to read with many of the constantly changing backgrounds (poor or so-so contrast with many of the backgrounds); cover art doesn't always come up like it does with LMS; volume knob requires a lot of rotation; others complain about restrictive size of RCA connections though not an issue for me -- I'm not a fancy cables guy; switching to headphone requires manual change on screen or app (others like this since it lets them leave headphones plugged in all the time); the list of preset EQ options from WiiM are fairly worthless to me as they are overly dramatic (but its easy enough to create your own custom presets and since then they've added a beta option for room correction that is working extremely well for me)

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS: web page control that can run on any browser ala LMS/Material Skin and act as a WiiM app, not a Squeezelite endpoint (applies to all WiiM players); add feature to phone app to mute or reduce volume when phone rings (switchable off/on); choice to add a fixed background of your choice to the clock screen when in off/standby mode.

And the WiiM development staff has been very responsive in terms of listening to issues people are having and addressing them. I'm impressed.

Back