New Ultra

I think the underlying issue is money. Apple wants everyone to be able to receive Airplay, because it sells iPhones.

Broadcasting Airplay is trickier. That competes with iOS and MacOS devices. So money needs to change hands.

ID chips are tricky. See Windows 11. Apple does the same thing. Apple won’t upgrade MacOS on older Macs, and banks won’t trust older Macs. The ID chips need to be surface mounted, or more ideally, imbedded in the CPU.
WiiM was broadcasting AirPlay at one point in the Pro/Pro+, but that is not the issue here. The issue here is Ultra to act as a AirPlay receiver (and yes that should sell iPhones).

What you have is Shairport Sync, which is a software-based AirPlay emulator.
It does work quite well on RPi distros such as RoPieee, Moode, Volumio, piCorePlayer... etc. but it's not actually the AirPlay that a commercial product would need to license.
Let's just hope the WiiM Ultra gets hacked real soon... 🏴‍☠️😁

It's really all speculation (and personally I only spotted one location ;)), so we better stick with known facts.

One fact: The Ultra is an attractive package either way.
I just stumbled upon this comment on Matt Coykendall's review on YouTube... I asked which dealer it is. Probably to be taken with a pinch of salt, but if it's a matter of weeks, I might just cancel my preorder after all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240801-162436.png
    Screenshot_20240801-162436.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 57
I just stumbled upon this comment on Matt Coykendall's review on YouTube... I asked which dealer it is. Probably to be taken with a pinch of salt, but if it's a matter of weeks, I might just cancel my preorder after all.
The big question is, end point, broadcaster, or both?

End point, I imagine, should not require any special chip. I see no point in the broadcast aspect.
End point, I imagine, should not require any special chip. I see no point in the broadcast aspect.
Airplay 2 is the only non-Roon, non-Sonos, protocol for multi-room synchronized wireless, with ad hoc groups.

Brilliant once EQ and time alignment comes in, with profiles.

I use "pure" mode on my processor, that disables all EQ, time alignment, levels. I also use two different speakers So if there is options for two sets of time alignment and PEQ, for my two pair of main speakers, that would be brilliant.

The End point does require a special chip though which has been confirmed by WiiM many times.
You might see no point in the broadcast aspect but clearly many others do or they wouldn't have complained so vociferously when the feature was removed.

Airplay 2 is the only non-Roon, non-Sonos, protocol for multi-room synchronized wireless, with ad hoc groups.
What about WiiM MRM? :)

@pieterv1, thanks for sharing. I just don't think that even more rumours based on YouTube comments (the lowest form of written communication between humans ... and bots ;)) will help much to clarify the situation.

Whoever rather wants to wait with their purchase should clearly do so. Just be prepared that this rumour might or might not manifest itself in facts. Not much lost, except for some time and enjoyment.

PS:
The part stating that WiiM has the "wrong chip" in the Ultra is particularly fishy.

I keep reading on here (and Amazon reviews etc) that the lack of AirPlay only matters to Apple Music users, but that’s not true - I am a Tidal user, but I also have an iPhone. I need AirPlay for Bandcamp, for example. Or the odd video. It‘s important enough not to downgrade from my Pro Plus, so I canceled my Ultra order.

I keep reading on here (and Amazon reviews etc) that the lack of AirPlay only matters to Apple Music users, but that’s not true - I am a Tidal user, but I also have an iPhone. I need AirPlay for Bandcamp, for example. Or the odd video. It‘s important enough not to downgrade from my Pro Plus, so I canceled my Ultra order.
If airplay is a must feature, ultra won’t be for you at this point in time. There maybe future revision that will include it. I hardly use it if ever so not really affecting me. Your miles may vary!

I manage to fix the issue of overly sensitive volume by lowering line level voltage from 2V to 800mv. I guess my amp has high gain input. Good thing wiim provided wide range all the way to 200mv if needed.

It would be cool if choosing the "Fixed Volume Output" option in the app, the physical volume knob would become a skip/back control.

It would be cool if choosing the "Fixed Volume Output" option in the app, the physical volume knob would become a skip/back control.
Indeed...
From the ultra faq page; maybe it's just in the development backlog ;)

Will it be possible to deactivate the volume control on the knob/wheel of the Ultra, and what will the options be, if so? Same as Pro plus - skip between tracks?Yes, it's possible.

Sounds pretty nice, even though the placements is yet to come once the speaker stands are build. Using the internal DAC. I'm happy. (Switched off the SUB until ready with the stands etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
Sounds pretty nice, even though the placements is yet to come once the speaker stands are build. Using the internal DAC. I'm happy. (Switched off the SUB until ready with the stands etc.
I'm having a similar problem with placement. All my old stuff was hidden behind the couch and I would like to show this off! Using Tidal Connect and loving this replacement for my Sony 190H that I got for around $100 a few years ago.

Back