Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

So, I connect pro to sml do200 mkii and act as preamp as well as dac. DO200 mkii uses dual 9068 chip and 5x dual opa 1612a. ASR rank this dac among the best in measurement and mid tier. The sound is in fact neutral and transparent so my silly question can wiim ultra match or outperform this?

So, I connect pro to sml do200 mkii and act as preamp as well as dac. DO200 mkii uses dual 9068 chip and 5x dual opa 1612a. ASR rank this dac among the best in measurement and mid tier. The sound is in fact neutral and transparent so my silly question can wiim ultra match or outperform this?
Pretty sure it can match it. Neutral and transparent is the goal.

I am sure a lot of headphones have a 3.5 mm jack and come with a 3.5 mm to 0.25 inch adaptor.

Yes but lower quality connector plus an adaptor...6.5mm is typically standard for full size gear. 3.5mm for portables...
6.5mm is tougher socket, less prone to damage to lateral force damaging it.

Yes but lower quality connector plus an adaptor...6.5mm is typically standard for full size gear. 3.5mm for portables...
6.5mm is tougher socket, less prone to damage to lateral force damaging it.
And yet neither of my full size headphones have 6.5mm ;)
In fact, the A&Ks have a 2.5mm balanced connector with a 3.5 unbalanced adapter.
Maybe rather than xlr outputs we should be petitioning for balanced headphone outputs...

Last edited:
All my Sennheisers were delivered with adaptors. Sometimes tricky with a few unbalanced ones of the HD500/600 range is the 2.5 mm plug with this lock mechanism at the headphone side.
For sure some golden eared people will claim a loss of sound quality due to such adaptors 😂 and also for sure there will be a bunch of high end manufacturers telling you their esoteric adaptors for the bargain of a few hundred Euros will solve the issue.

They've been around for a long time, so I assume that there have been variations over the years, but mine have with a 3.5mm plug with a 0.25" adaptor.
Sounds like it. I can't imagine what a 0.25" to 3.5mm reducer looks like but it must put more stress on the 3.5mm connector. Unless there is a small piece of cable between the two parts of course.

Way to cheap.

OTOH you cannot update the Ultra's built-in SPS with a $400 linear power supply, anyway. Consequently, it can never sound any good, no matter how refined the headphone adapter might be ... 😛

We should blame WiiM for this C7 socket. They bar us to use the real expensive stuff. This is the most expensive C7 item my dealer offers. It would be much nicer to have the opportunity spending thousands. 😉
(By the way, my power stuff is also a bit above entry class. But only for safety, haptic, optic and build quality. Not for sound.)

IMG_3194.jpeg

Sounds like it. I can't imagine what a 0.25" to 3.5mm reducer looks like but it must put more stress on the 3.5mm connector. Unless there is a small piece of cable between the two parts of course.
I have one somewhere.

Will the Wiim Ultra show volumelevel on the display when you turn the volume up or down?
If so, do you have pictures of what it looks like (a preview)?

Will the Wiim Ultra show volumelevel on the display when you turn the volume up or down?
If so, do you have pictures of what it looks like (a preview)?
Yes the screen will show you the volume level in numbers when you turn the knob up or down and fade back to the original screen. We will display more images of the UI later.

Yes the screen will show you the volume level in numbers when you turn the knob up or down and fade back to the original screen. We will display more images of the UI later.
Thx for the reply. I'm curious. Can't wait :)

Back