Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Does room correction work on the connected subwoofer and on every input, including RCA inputs and Optical in?

Does room correction work on the connected subwoofer and on every input, including RCA inputs and Optical in?
WiiM room correction is currently in beta stage and the Ultra has not been released, yet, obviously.

WiiM have announced that RC will finally cover the connected subwoofer as well. You can most probably expect it to support all inputs, since RC in the end is noting but applying PEQ filters and the current 10 band PEQ feature on existing products does support all respective inputs.

This is not an official statement, of course. This is me thinking out loud.

Ok let say you want top tier dac from either ess or akm, so you connect it from ultra to dac via usb or optical and from dac out which either rca or xlr, so from there which one will be controlling the volume dac or ultra?

Ok let say you want top tier dac from either ess or akm, so you connect it from ultra to dac via usb or optical and from dac out which either rca or xlr, so from there which one will be controlling the volume dac or ultra?
I will control volume on DAC rather than Ultra because it is closer to amp side. If there is a volume control after DAC such as pre-amp or volume controller, I will set the DAC volume at 100% and control volume there. That's my preference.

Neither / either / both.
Depends on whether the dac can be a preamp, and what else is downstream.

Just confirmed my poweramp to be working with the WiiM Pro's 12v trigger output. Guess I'll be getting the WiiM Ultra to use as a digital preamp for a fully automated setup 😁

For anybody still looking for a well-built, budget-friendly and plenty powerful class AB amplifier: it's a Rotel RB-06.

Last edited:
For an HDMI noob like me.
Once the Ultra is here and I wanna have the TV sound on the stereo (what I never had before):
HDMI out from the Ultra to the TV or to the Sky Q Box?
Thank you!

Added: The Sky box has "normal", (2.2 whatever that means) HDMI, the TV eARC/ARC

The Amp/Ultra require HDMI ARC (audio return channel) so the link is normally between an hdmi arc socket on the TV into the Amp/Ultra.

That way TV audio (whether that’s from a TV channel or an external source like a Sky Box connected to the TV) gets delivered to the Ultra and then into your stereo setup. The TV has to be set to output PCM audio as well.

As @Brantome states but dumbing it down a bit further.

Sky -> HDMI -> non ARC input on TV

TV -> ARC HDMI -> Ultra
OR
TV -> Optical Out -> Ultra

Set Audio Out on TV to be explicitly PCM

The best choice between using ARC or Optical will be determined by which performs best. ARC is the preferred route but may not always work depending upon the TV implementation. Optical should always work but may not auto-switch ON.

As @Brantome states but dumbing it down a bit further.

Sky -> HDMI -> non ARC input on TV

TV -> ARC HDMI -> Ultra
OR
TV -> Optical Out -> Ultra

Set Audio Out on TV to be explicitly PCM

The best choice between using ARC or Optical will be determined by which performs best. ARC is the preferred route but may not always work depending upon the TV implementation. Optical should always work but may not auto-switch ON.
And won’t optical be lower resolution, say 16/48? I forget the resolution HDMI ARC can support…

Our good old Sonos ARC is connected via optical. No issues, but my wife has a different beau ideal than I 😂

Ultra supports Dolby Audio, but do I need to set my TV output to PCM?

It could be but TV audio isn't usually encoded at more than 16/48 is it?
Not sure tbh, maybe for PCM, but I’d guess the hi res video stuff needs a fair amount of bandwidth. Just hand a quick google and it seems the ARC spec contrains things more than HDMI itself, and that’s where eARC steps in to up the limits. But for audio and to replace the use of the TV speakers, ARC or optical from the TV should definitely improve matters.

(As an aside, I do all my tv watching thru a fire tv cube which is plugged into an hdmi socket on my Linn amp, which in turn feeds the video to the TV, so I don’t use optical or ARC from the tv for audio, my amp already has it…)

Not sure tbh, maybe for PCM, but I’d guess the hi res video stuff needs a fair amount of bandwidth. Just hand a quick google and it seems the ARC spec contrains things more than HDMI itself, and that’s where eARC steps in to up the limits. But for audio and to replace the use of the TV speakers, ARC or optical from the TV should definitely improve matters.

(As an aside, I do all my tv watching thru a fire tv cube which is plugged into an hdmi socket on my Linn amp, which in turn feeds the video to the TV, so I don’t use optical or ARC from the tv for audio, my amp already has it…)
That is basically what I also do.
Sky Stream, Amazon Fire TV and a Blu-Ray connected directly to AVR HDMI inputs. The AVR strips audio and only sends video to the TV.
I do have an ARC connection supposedly for Aerial based TV but it doesn't always work. We don't often watch that way anyway.

I also have a fiddle in play on the Fire TV Cube. It goes out to an HDMI splitter with one output to the AVR and the other to an HDMI sender.
There is an HDMI receiver attached to another TV about 20 feet away in my Dining Room - there are separating doors but usually open. I don't have the audio switched on on the Dining Room TV as it is out of sync but this lets me have the same TV on in two rooms - the picture is very close to synced but not quite but this does't matter. The audio from the AVR can be heard in the Dining Room.

Ultra supports Dolby Audio, but do I need to set my TV output to PCM?
Interesting question.
With the Amp you have to select PCM on TV because the Amp can't deal with more than 2 channel audio. Dolby Atmos almost implies multi-channel support downscaled to 2:0 or 2:1.
One for the Ultra q&a spreadsheet I’d say…
Agreed.

Back