Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
TVs have adjustments for lip synch. Can they compensate for lags in audio gear? My LG documentation strongly suggests it can.

You are correct, but it was me, not him, who mentioned the TV - if he connect the PC's Optical output to the Ultra, it does not go through the TV (or display). Also, TV lip-sync may not be applied depending on the input source.

I'd use toslink, but I guess it might be the same regardless of input/output... but dependent on frequency and bitness.

My more precise (well, expanded) question is "can you use this for general computer sound output without any streaming and casting". I think I read somewhere that a certain WiiM device - I don't know which one - had 150+ ms latency before a firmware update. You can't quite watch youtube stuff or play computer games if sound is heavily delayed.

This is just a test on my system, but the amount of delay was about 100 ms.

Edit:
This test was removed due to inadequate TV setup.

Last edited:
You are correct, but it was me, not him, who mentioned the TV - if he connect the PC's Optical output to the Ultra, it does not go through the TV (or display). Also, TV lip-sync may not be applied depending on the input source.
The title of the thread is pretty generic, and I asked about TV lip synch. I’m trying to think about all the delays in the audio chain, and whether anyone has experience using all the available settings to synch the audio.

The title of the thread is pretty generic, and I asked about TV lip synch. I’m trying to think about all the delays in the audio chain, and whether anyone has experience using all the available settings to synch the audio.

Sorry, I may have misread your post.

Here's my experience: when using the built-in YouTube app on my TV (Hisense U7E), adjusting lip sync made no difference.

Sorry, I may have misread your post.

Here's my experience: when using the built-in YouTube app on my TV (Hisense U7E), adjusting lip sync made no difference.
LG docs say you can make the sound faster or slower, whatever that means.

Here’s my understanding: video processing takes more time than audio processing, so the audio needs to be delayed.

But once you introduce things like DSP into the audio chain, you have more delay. Sonos also introduces delay.

So somewhere you have to be able to add or reduce delay.

This is just a test on my system, but the amount of delay was about 100 ms.

Play the test video on the Youtube app on the TV.
TV >> (Optical) >> WiiM Ultra >> (Optical) >> DAC >> Amp >> Speaker

Thanks! 100 ms is a lot, but some of it may be added through the extra DAC you have after the Ultra.

Thanks! 100 ms is a lot, but some of it may be added through the extra DAC you have after the Ultra.

The previous test was flawed. I disconnected all HDMI cables connected to the TV and tested again after rebooting.

[TV Hisense 55U7E]
PCM
Lip Sync Off
YouTube app built in TV

TV > (Opt) > Ultra > (Line-out) > Amp > Speaker
View attachment 1000006340.mp4

TV > (HDMI ARC) > Ultra > (Line-out) > Amp > Speaker
View attachment 1000006343.mp4

*This is the result on my system. Different results may be obtained under different conditions.

Anyone planning to pair the Ultra with Fosi Audio V3 mono amps and an external DAC? If so which external DAC?

I'm actually curious and planning to try out the Wiim Ultra with the Fosi Audio V3 mono amplifiers (along with my current speakers and subwoofer)

Currently, I have the NAD C700 paired with Dali Ikon 1 mk1 speakers and a Jamo S808 subwoofer. Honestly, that setup has been working best for me so far in my situation.

But I'm always on the lookout for better sound on a tight budget.

I tried a Wiim Amp (as a replacement for the NAD C700), but personally, it didn't come close in terms of sound quality. Then I tried a Wiim Mini with a Fosi Audio ZA3 amplifier, and that was already a bit better. After adding an SMSL SU-1 external DAC, I have to say it came pretty close to the NAD C700 however, the NAD C700 still sounds a bit smoother/warmer.

If I were to go for the Wiim Ultra and Fosi Audio V3 mono amplifiers (in combination with the rest of my current setup), which (affordable) external DAC would you guys recommend?

As I said, I already liked the sound quality of the Wiim Mini together with the Fosi Audio ZA3 and SMSL SU-1 DAC, but it could perhaps be just a little bit smoother/warmer/more musical. Soundstage of this combo also seemed slightly less wide than the NAD C700.

I think/hope/expect that with the Wiim Ultra + Fosi Audi V3 mono amplifiers and the right (affordable) external DAC, I will be able to match or surpass the sound quality and soundstage of the NAD C700. But which external (affordable) DAC would you guys recommend? The SMSL SU-1 wasn't bad in principle, but it sounded a bit too bright/analytical for me (given my setup and situation).
I am planning to run it with the Fosi Audio V3 monos (they just arrived from the kickstarter campaign) and use a DAC with XLR out so I can effectively make the WiiM Ultra a balanced preamp. I have a few DACs, but I'll probably go with either the SMSL DO200 PRO or the Topping E70 Velvet, both have XLR out. As WiiM for some odd reason doesn't support USB audio input, I'll use optical or coax in, and Bluetooth once they get Airplay sorted out.

That said, if you don't care about XLR, the Ultra already has a solid DAC, which I see no need to "upgrade." There's nothing wrong with the SABRE ES9038 DAC, I just have a self created special needs case :sneaky:

Is it known if/how the volume knob is configurable if we want to keep the Ultra volume at max level?

if you set it as fixed in the app, the volume knob has no effect
Indeed..
Yet it disagrees with their own answer...
Maybe it'll be available in the future.

Will it be possible to deactivate the volume control on the knob/wheel of the Ultra, and what will the options be, if so? Same as Pro plus - skip between tracks?Yes, it's possible.

Another preview/review in Korean according to Google Translate ;)

There are some interesting pics.

There’s clearly some sort of visualiser for the HDMI input, but it’s unclear if this can be selected for other inputs.

That VU meter. Look, I don’t want to sound ungrateful, and it’s a nice inclusion, but I’m struggling to imagine how it could have been any more basic.

That aside, yes my Korean is a little rusty, too. ;)

There are some interesting pics.

There’s clearly some sort of visualiser for the HDMI input, but it’s unclear if this can be selected for other inputs.

That VU meter. Look, I don’t want to sound ungrateful, and it’s a nice inclusion, but I’m struggling to imagine how it could have been any more basic.

That aside, yes my Korean is a little rusty, too. ;)
I've not watched the vid, but if by visualiser for hdmi you mean the dancing coloured lines at the bottom of the screen then these also appear for line in (and maybe other inputs?), but they bear no relation to the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back