Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three questions about the Ultra.

1) I own a Pro Plus currently, is there an audible upgrade if I move to the Ultra?

2) My turntable has a Moving Iron cartridge by Grado Labs. Does the Ultra provide enough signal for this cartridge? And will it sound as good as my ART DJ II Turntable preamp?

3) Is there any difference between the sub out on the Wiim Pro Plus vs the Wiim Ultra?

I've not watched the vid, but if by visualiser for hdmi you mean the dancing coloured lines at the bottom of the screen then these also appear for line in (and maybe other inputs?), but they bear no relation to the signal.
I noticed that too...

@WiiM Team can we get static displays for the various analog/digital inputs as well please? Just a large icon of the input type instead of an animation would be great. A separate stand-by setting only for the HDMI input would be nice as well! To have the screen turn off after a certain time when using HDMI, but not for the other inputs.

has anyone else besides MJG gotten their Ultra from Amazon US pre-order? Mine still says 'Delivering July 17-22' but hasn't moved into shipping yet.

I have three questions about the Ultra.

1) I own a Pro Plus currently, is there an audible upgrade if I move to the Ultra?

2) My turntable has a Moving Iron cartridge by Grado Labs. Does the Ultra provide enough signal for this cartridge? And will it sound as good as my ART DJ II Turntable preamp?

3) Is there any difference between the sub out on the Wiim Pro Plus vs the Wiim Ultra?

The only WiiMs with a sub out are the Ultra and the Amps, not the Mini, Pro, or Pro Plus.

I received my Wiim Ultra from Amazon pre-order the other day. I’ve had some time with it, though haven’t fully tested every aspect of its functionality yet. A few thoughts:

- I was under the impression that AirPlay was forthcoming when I pre-ordered the device (there are various references to it in the FAQ, and even this forum post seems to indicate that it’s being worked on). I sent a message to support, and their response was: “The current Ultra doesn't have MFI chip, and it's uncertain whether it will be able to support AirPlay via software in the future.” Is it just me, or does that feel more like “don’t get your hopes up”? In any case, if AirPlay isn’t going to be added at some point, that might be a dealbreaker for me.
- To my ears, the DAC sounds excellent, and I’ve enjoyed trying out the EQ for a slightly more colored sound. I also tried room correction, but wasn’t a big fan of how it sounded (totally subjective, but I felt like I lost detail and fullness).
-I thought I was having an issue with the ARC connection (with some dropouts, delays, and pops), but it ended up being user error. It turns out my TV (LG C1) had the eARC setting enabled. Turning that off seems to have solved the issue.

Thanks for the impressions - lack of Airplay would be a dealbreaker for me as well - like you, I thought it was essentially a question of „when“, not „if“. I have it pre-ordered, hohum.

Edit: from WiiM-Audio.de, the official German distributor, „With features like airplay 2…“:

„Mit Funktionen wie AirPlay 2, Chromecast, DLNA und weiteren ist der WiiM Ultra nicht nur ein High-End-Audio-Streamer, sondern ein vielseitiges und unverzichtbares Element in jeder HiFi-Anlage.“

Last edited:
The output voltage of all reasonably priced Grado cartridges (in particular Prestige series) is more than sufficient for the Ultra's phono input. It's working well even with lower output voltages HO MCs like the Denon DL-110.

The Ultra can even be switched to MC, increasing the gain. So far there's no documentation if other changes are applied (in particular input impedance).

I don't own an Art DJ II, so cannot comment on the sound. The Ultra is lacking the Art's continuous gain adjustment and switchable input capacity. In fact, WiiM do not specify the input capacity at all.

Which settings are you currently using and which is your Grado pickup?

has anyone else besides MJG gotten their Ultra from Amazon US pre-order? Mine still says 'Delivering July 17-22' but hasn't moved into shipping yet.
just got charged for my pre-order so that means it should ship soon!

I just got my Ultra, got it setup, and can't play any music. It is not yet Roon Ready (expected) and does not seem to work correctly with AirPlay. I had understood that it would support AirPlay and my plan was to use that until it was Roon certified. I knew it was not going to support AirPlay2 right away, but I thought it would support basic AirPlay like the Pro.

Also, there does not seem to be any option to use the USB as an output.

Broken promises. Very disappointed.

Right now, there is no way for Roon users to stream to the Ultra.

Is Squeezelite / LMS functionality available for Ultra? That’s what I was using for Roon output to my Pro Plus before it was Roon certified - with Hi Res support unlike Airplay

I just got my Ultra, got it setup, and can't play any music. It is not yet Roon Ready (expected) and does not seem to work correctly with AirPlay. I had understood that it would support AirPlay and my plan was to use that until it was Roon certified. I knew it was not going to support AirPlay2 right away, but I thought it would support basic AirPlay like the Pro.

Also, there does not seem to be any option to use the USB as an output.

Broken promises. Very disappointed.

Right now, there is no way for Roon users to stream to the Ultra.
you bought a device that was not Roon Ready, not sure what you were expecting. The Pro Plus wasn't Roon Ready at launch either.

you bought a device that was not Roon Ready, not sure what you were expecting. The Pro Plus wasn't Roon Ready at launch either.

I was expecting AirPlay which was in the feature set when I made my purchase. I was also expecting ChromeCast to work from Roon, but there seems to be a bug with that too. And I was expecting the promised USB output to work, which it does not.

I was expecting AirPlay which was in the feature set when I made my purchase. I was also expecting ChromeCast to work from Roon, but there seems to be a bug with that too. And I was expecting the promised USB output to work, which it does not.
AirPlay wasn't listed as a feature of the Ultra on launch either from what I read? I'm curious your setup... I've never found the Roon software all that useful (certainly not for how much they charge for it anyway), but I don't use local files really, is that how you use it? What do you usually use AirPlay for in your setup w/ Roon? All of my Wiim devices I use to stream directly from the device itself rather than rely on a phone/other device.

At least Tidal Connect works. It stinks no being able to use Roon, but at least I can listen to music while I wait for them to get certified and fix bugs.

AirPlay wasn't listed as a feature of the Ultra on launch either from what I read? I'm curious your setup... I've never found the Roon software all that useful (certainly not for how much they charge for it anyway), but I don't use local files really, is that how you use it? What do you usually use AirPlay for in your setup w/ Roon? All of my Wiim devices I use to stream directly from the device itself rather than rely on a phone/other device.

I don't really have any interest in debating you about Roon. That is how I play music in my home and have used it for years.

Edit: No offense intended, but when you start by saying "What did you expect?," I don't see good intentions so lets drop it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back