Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have an Ultra yet.

The ‘plan’ (possibility) is rca out to sub, optical out to balanced DAC, so I can use the balanced outs on the DAC to connect to the balanced ins on an amp, but obviously I’m wanting to maintain exactly the same functionality as if I used rca outs for L&R: volume control on the Ultra, bass management works the same, PEQ works the same, etc., etc.
This is my desired use case as well.

A bit of MacGyvering, but at the end of the day, if it works as advertised, it should do the trick nicely. Not that the onboard DAC isn't a fine DAC, it is, but it's fun to experiment with various external DACs.

I've not watched the vid, but if by visualiser for hdmi you mean the dancing coloured lines at the bottom of the screen then these also appear for line in (and maybe other inputs?), but they bear no relation to the signal.
What's their purpose then? A light show, or something useful?

I don't really have any interest in debating you about Roon. That is how I play music in my home and have used it for years.

Edit: No offense intended, but when you start by saying "What did you expect?," I don't see good intentions so lets drop it.
I guess I just thought it was pretty widely known that Wiim devices don't ship as 'Roon Ready', it's a certification process that takes some time and has with the Pro and the Pro Plus, wasn't trying to be insulting. And my question about Roon was a legit one, I want to like it but beyond having a Roon device to play local files I've not really understood what makes it worth $15/month for the software side on top of streaming services, that's all, I want to like it.

Yeah ... for sure ... that's what software developers love hearing.
Not. But if I had a pound for every time I heard that or “surely it’s just a line of code”, I’d be dictating my reply to my butler while I reclined on the private beach of my Seychelles mansion…

But why the hell the shortest period I can use for dev estimation is 4 hours? I don't get it.

I guess I just thought it was pretty widely known that Wiim devices don't ship as 'Roon Ready', it's a certification process that takes some time and has with the Pro and the Pro Plus, wasn't trying to be insulting. And my question about Roon was a legit one, I want to like it but beyond having a Roon device to play local files I've not really understood what makes it worth $15/month for the software side on top of streaming services, that's all, I want to like it.
I'm not a Roon user myself, but I've seen it in action at a friend's who also listens to local music from his NAS, Tidal, Spotify... Roon does a great job of bundling search results of these different sources and making it a seamless browsing experience. The user interface on an iPad or computer is pretty nice with tons of info about what's playing... You can also dive deep into your signal chain, add DSP etc. All in all it seems like the ultimate music geek's music player. I just wished it wasn't so expensive + I've already invested in a lifetime Plexpass to access my local music with Plexamp.

I'm not a Roon user myself, but I've seen it in action at a friend's who also listens to local music from his NAS, Tidal, Spotify... Roon does a great job of bundling search results of these different sources and making it a seamless browsing experience. The user interface on an iPad or computer is pretty nice with tons of info about what's playing... You can also dive deep into your signal chain, add DSP etc. All in all it seems like the ultimate music geek's music player. I just wished it wasn't so expensive + I've already invested in a lifetime Plexpass to access my local music with Plexamp.
Thanks. Yeah it is pretty slick and does a neat job for what it is, just can't justify that added monthly cost. I'd maybe think about paying for a lifetime license if it were closer to like $250 or something...

I msged you with my thoughts on Roon so as to not go too off topic here. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was in a bad mood struggling with my new toy and misinterpreted what you were saying. I knew that it would not be Roon Ready, but I had thought that AirPlay would work and Roon supports AirPlay devices. I had read here about some issues with AirPlay2, but thought standard AirPlay would be ok. I also ran into several other issues, but I already described them earlier, so I won't repeat. I'm using Tidal Connect right now and I'm reasonably happy, but also hoping that Roon Certification happens soon.

I msged you with my thoughts on Roon so as to not go too off topic here. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was in a bad mood struggling with my new toy and misinterpreted what you were saying. I knew that it would not be Roon Ready, but I had thought that AirPlay would work and Roon supports AirPlay devices. I had read here about some issues with AirPlay2, but thought standard AirPlay would be ok. I also ran into several other issues, but I already described them earlier, so I won't repeat. I'm using Tidal Connect right now and I'm reasonably happy, but also hoping that Roon Certification happens soon.
I'm guessing AirPlay 2 support won't be too far off, certainly sooner than Roon Ready usually takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back