Room correction

Hi Team,

Thank you for your continued patience regarding the development of the room correction feature and the 10-band Parametric Equalizer (PEQ). Our team is diligently working on these enhancements. We are excited to announce that we aim to release the Beta version in the upcoming two weeks. Please stay tuned!

Can you, at this point, confirm which models you’re working on.

From previous announcements, it initially looked like everything, but then dropped to everything but the Mini.

Is that correct?

I’d go with what the roadmap says, and take the recent mention of ten bands as a typo.

Similar has happened in the past where there’s been optimism that a named feature can be made available on all models, but when implementation of that feature has been fully investigated prior to actual development it’s been found it can’t be squeezed into the Mini due to it only having a quarter of the memory and half the processing cores of its siblings. I think it’s unreasonable to expect any new major feature on the Mini given that.

We’ve only got a couple of weeks till we find out anyway…

I’d go with what the roadmap says, and take the recent mention of ten bands as a typo.

Similar has happened in the past where there’s been optimism that a named feature can be made available on all models, but when implementation of that feature has been fully investigated prior to actual development it’s been found it can’t be squeezed into the Mini due to it only having a quarter of the memory and half the processing cores of its siblings. I think it’s unreasonable to expect any new major feature on the Mini given that.

We’ve only got a couple of weeks till we find out anyway…

Aye, 8 bands will be great. If it’s 10, that’s a Brucie Bonus.

The Pro, Pro Plus and (I believe) Amp all have the same higher level of processing, and I’m sure the Ultra will have that at least.

Do you mean 8 band PEQ as shown n your roadmap?
Hi Brantome,

Apologies for any confusion. We've implemented a 10-band Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) to provide more precise control over EQ settings, enhancing room correction capabilities. Rest assured, the 10-band PEQ is designed to be flexible; it can be adjusted to use fewer bands if your setup requires a simpler configuration.

Can you, at this point, confirm which models you’re working on.

From previous announcements, it initially looked like everything, but then dropped to everything but the Mini.

Is that correct?
Hi Steve,

Wouldn't it be great if we could extend this feature across all models, including the Mini? We are aiming to make this feature available to every model.

Hi Brantome,

Apologies for any confusion. We've implemented a 10-band Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) to provide more precise control over EQ settings, enhancing room correction capabilities. Rest assured, the 10-band PEQ is designed to be flexible; it can be adjusted to use fewer bands if your setup requires a simpler configuration.
That's great news.

I just removed the 😂 emoji from my previous post regarding this topic.

😃

Hi Steve,

Wouldn't it be great if we could extend this feature across all models, including the Mini? We are aiming to make this feature available to every model.

Fantastic. Sorry, for clarity, will this be on time for the beta in a fortnight? Can you confirm which models will be getting the beta?

Many thanks.

Hi Brantome,

Dear Wiim-Team,

that sounds good! I am looking forward to test this firmware as soon as possible! 😍

Best

All the room correction fanatics including myself. Well, once it becomes available to general public, try it out with or without and let your ear to decide. Bottom line, there’s a choice and I like choices especially that you can enable and disable the feature. With that said, wiim superiority on software leave high end high brand finding a way to appeal buyers. Do you want to spend thousands more just to get that remaining 10 percent?

@WiiM Support will the 10-band PEQ be per channel?
As no room is symmetric the current implementation R+L+SUB does only make sense for the SUB frequencies

@WiiM Support will the 10-band PEQ be per channel?
As no room is symmetric the current implementation R+L+SUB does only make sense for the SUB frequencies

I think that’s an overstatement.

Whilst L and R responses may differ, depending on the room, it’s rare that they’re hugely out of whack.

Even if your speakers are set up fully symmetrical, your room most probably is not. This can lead to different frequencies getting reflected differently on each speaker.
O ! Yes ! Of course the natural modes do not change, but the way a speaker reacts in a room is totally linked to its location in the said room. in my case, there is less than a meter difference between the side wall and left speaker and another side wall and right speaker (1.10 from the wall on one side, 2 m on the other side in a rectangular room...) : the behavior of the two speakers is very different under 500 Hz... it's not a coincidence if Audyssey - for example - measures each of them and applies a specific correction... Having 10 identical PEQs on the two channels is much less useful than having 5 per channel...

Having 10 identical PEQs on the two channels is much less useful than having 5 per channel...
Talking from my experience I must agree.

However, since this thread is called room correction, I'd like to point out that ideally I will want both, applied at the same time, but independently: PEQ and room correction.

If room correction works well enough to iron out differences between the left and right speaker (due to placement) then I don't mind PEQ to work on both channels simultaneously.

That's a bold "if" (pun intended), but hey, I can still ask for it to happen. Admittedly, EQ applied to both channels would leave those of us behind who don't trust in automatic room correction and want to apply their filter settings manually. True, but possibly a geek's problem.

But if we are allowed to get geeky, there's one more feature I want: Speaker EQ independent from room correction and general EQ. That's how Lyngdorf do it and I plain love it. In my book this is a much more powerful tool than just heading for any target curve. :)

I appreciate that, even in a perfectly symmetrical room/set up, you can get imbalance due to furnishings and surfaces. But, contrary to popular belief, windows, doors and walls don’t have significantly different reflection characteristics.

And the imbalances, in a reasonably symmetrically room/set up, won’t be hugely different.

You canna change the laws of physics. Or maths.

Open breakthroughs in walls differ vastly from walls. That's in conformance with acoustics, physics and math, I reckon.

So no, I can't really share that point of view.

Back