Room correction

FYI here's the image of what the UMIK1 calibration file does.
As I have meddled in calibration both audio and video, I always find it amusing how equipment for calibration, needs it's own calibration to even give you an actual improvement over the default ;)

Not sure if using the iphone's microphone is actually worse, they conform to a more specific standard and are mass produced so should have very small tolerances for errors/differences in freq. response.

As I have meddled in calibration both audio and video, I always find it amusing how equipment for calibration, needs it's own calibration to even give you an actual improvement over the default ;)

Not sure if using the iphone's microphone is actually worse, they conform to a more specific standard and are mass produced so should have very small tolerances for errors/differences in freq. response.

Yeah you need to calibrate the calibrator.

My microphone calibration line is proof a calibration file is needed, if I was to use the UMIK1 without that correction it would be out. Not a massive amount, +/- 1.5db, but still out, 20-200hz, and 3k-7k

I mentioned it severl times already: the iphone mic is not at all that bad!
For me it works for the lower departments (up to 400Hz), where 80% of the serious room mods are, very well! 👍🏻

I mentioned it severl times already: the iphone mic is not at all that bad!
For me it works for the lower departments (up to 400Hz), where 80% of the serious room mods are, very well! 👍🏻
You can also use the REW app for room correction. If you have Roon, you can include it as a convolution file.

My microphone calibration line is proof a calibration file is needed, if I was to use the UMIK1 without that correction it would be out. Not a massive amount, +/- 1.5db, but still out, 20-200hz, and 3k-7k
I look at your calibration curve and conclude its proof a calibration file is not needed.

The curve you posted is flat +/- 0.5db.
My own UMIK calibration is also +/- 0.5db and the curve is shaped largely the same as yours.
I don't see where you're arriving at +/- 1.5db unless you are referencing a different mic or calibration.

I would welcome the addition of calibration files by Wiim, but even without calibration, a decent mic with +/- 0.5db variations is hardly an obstacle to effective corrective filters that are often targeting 5-10db room nodes.

I look at your calibration curve and conclude its proof a calibration file is not needed.

The curve you posted is flat +/- 0.5db.
My own UMIK calibration is also +/- 0.5db and the curve is shaped largely the same as yours.
I don't see where you're arriving at +/- 1.5db unless you are referencing a different mic or calibration.

I would welcome the addition of calibration files by Wiim, but even without calibration, a decent mic with +/- 0.5db variations is hardly an obstacle to effective corrective filters that are often targeting 5-10db room nodes.
I'm thinking the same as you.
My IMM-6C is +/- 0.35dB 40hz-1khz, which is good enough for me. I also think that some mic calibration can be done with manual PEQ if needed.

My UMIK-1 is exceptionally bad by comparison.

UMIK-1 Calibration 2.png

But it's still within +/- 1dB from 22 Hz to 3.2 kHz. I'd have more trust in this for room mode correction even without the calibration being applied than in any smartphone mic.

Here's the 90 degree calibration file for the mic pointing to the ceiling:

UMIK-1 Calibration 90deg.png

Last edited:
Why are the lines so smooth on UMIK-1?
That's the way REW renders the calibration files. These files consist of 615 data points (frequency and level), ranging from 10 Hz to 20 kHz.

What resolution calibration files does Dayton Audio provide?

Theres actually a very important point wiim left out in the guide. There a feature. in the iphone for the “mic mode” (accessible in the control center while speaker on, on a call). Theres 3 settings. Voice isolation, normal and wide spectrum.

Since release the wiim room correction didn’t work for me. Collapsed everything into speaker sound like a small Bluetooth speaker. it was because I had voice isolation on the mic mode (because I prefer it on phone calls filters out the background noise.) Once I turn to normal everything in room correction started working. I wonder if wide spectrum would yield better results even or same problems

Theres actually a very important point wiim left out in the guide. There a feature. in the iphone for the “mic mode” (accessible in the control center while speaker on, on a call). Theres 3 settings. Voice isolation, normal and wide spectrum.

Since release the wiim room correction didn’t work for me. Collapsed everything into speaker sound like a small Bluetooth speaker. it was because I had voice isolation on the mic mode (because I prefer it on phone calls filters out the background noise.) Once I turn to normal everything in room correction started working. I wonder if wide spectrum would yield better results even or same problems

Interesting and good point! 👍🏻
I guess WiiM aims at the standard setting if they communicate „nothing“ on that issue…

I wonder if wide spectrum would yield better results even or same problems
If this holds true ...
... I'd expect wide spectrum to introduce other, but not less severe problems. :) Standard should be best.

I'm presuming that useful RC for a sub will only work with an ultra or similar where the timing changes to align phase can be effected. In my case my Pro plus is connected to a Yamaha amp that has a sub out with no way of adjusting phase. The sub has a basic 0 deg and 180 deg switch. I can't see how the RC function can separate sub from speakers in that setup, at best I can effect a FR correction only?

Does that mean, that the IMM-6C is not going to 20kHz or is that just the frequency range in which you get 0.35dB?

The latter.
This is a spreadsheet graph of my IMM-6 and IMM-6C calibration files, 20hz-20khz

1000000853.jpg

Is the Room correction feature an auto EQ or is something more sophisticated going i',m

Is the Room correction feature an auto EQ or is something more sophisticated going on?
I'm wondering if it is just a placebo feature. Like you said, a simple equalization. Is it included in the internal Akm dac??? I guess no!! because this feature appeared recently with the latest version of wiim home app. I mean it is just an added software.
I don't need to use it anyway.
Greetings

Back