Room correction

Some questions.

1. do you have a subwoofer? If so, what are the crossover frequency, Phase, etc. settings?
2. do you get the same results with multiple RCs?
3. what happens if you narrow the frequency range of the RC to just the bass and measure again?
4. after making manual adjustments, is the sound better than before?

It may be helpful to refer to the RC results posted on this forum by other members. My recollection is that I was under the impression that the WiiM RC did not adjust the bass very extremely well. Unfortunately, I'm an Android user so I haven't used the RC yet, so I am not familiar with the room correction accuracy of WiiM.
I don't have a subwoofer. If I repeat rc a number of times the results are quite similar. I will try narrowing the frequency range. I find it difficult to decide which is better. My manual adjustment is having an effect. This can easily heard listening to white noise and switching RC on and off.

Last edited:
I don't have a subwoofer. If I repeat rc a number of times the results are quite similar. I will try narrowing the frequency range. I find it difficult to decide which is better. My manual adjustment is having an effect. This can easily heard listening to white noise and switching crap on and off.

Generally it's best to only correct what needs correcting, not boosting, not going OTT, and not doing full range correction. Also as I understand it narrow filters aren't ideal.

It's best to manually enter numbers, using REW and calibrated mic. With a generic phone mic, you have no way of knowing the accuracy of the mic. Also you want per speaker correction, not pair. The better room EQ does correction over time/reflections or something like that.

The Auto EQ in my AV processor is similar in principle as the Wiim (but a bit better as it's per speaker and comes with calibrated mic) However it attempts to apply too much correction, applying several 10 and 12dB boosts to get it as close as possible as the flat response. It sounds utterly crap with auto EQ.

Has anyone compared iphone/ipad inaccuracy to calibrated mic? Would be interesting seeing a few samples, compared to umik1

What's the point of room correction if the mic is inaccurate, poor accuracy across the range, etc.
I haven’t received my Ultra yet, but I have done room correction with REW and a calibrated mic. But I’m confused with the Wiim manual saying the sub frequencies aren’t yet in the software so it is required to turn off the sub or not include frequencies lower than the sub crossover. My sub is now wired in parallel with the mains but I will be changing to low level when I get the WiiM.

I am using WIIM RC with my ipad, but not sure what actual mic (front, back, top) is used in measuring. In housecurve app it is possible even to choose which mic will be used, but I see nothing similar in wiim. Does anyone know? I noticed significant difference in measurement on same ipad in housecurve vs wiim, so this could be due to different mic in use, but not sure.

I am using WIIM RC with my ipad, but not sure what actual mic (front, back, top) is used in measuring. In housecurve app it is possible even to choose which mic will be used, but I see nothing similar in wiim. Does anyone know? I noticed significant difference in measurement on same ipad in housecurve vs wiim, so this could be due to different mic in use, but not sure.
Hi mtk,

Great question. Currently, the top mic on the iPad and the bottom mic on the iPhone are used. We'll make this clearer in the app.

Easy to test. Place a finger over the mic covering and see how response changes when you run it.

Easy to test. Place a finger over the mic covering and see how response changes when you run it.
Have you actually tried it? In my experience it gives very ambiguous results. Also, the team already said the answer.

Have you actually tried it? In my experience it gives very ambiguous results. Also, the team already said the answer.

Covering the mic with your finger doesn't change results?

Just test each mic in turn to determine which one it uses.

Covering the mic with your finger doesn't change results?

Just test each mic in turn to determine which one it uses.
I am not saying that the results will not be different. Even if the results are different, other factors may make it difficult to determine. At the very least, the microphone hole should be sealed with soundproofing tape or similar and tested in a room with no people present. However, even in that case, the low-frequency changes are likely to be less.

I am not saying that the results will not be different. Even if the results are different, other factors may make it difficult to determine. At the very least, the microphone hole should be sealed with soundproofing tape or similar and tested in a room with no people present. However, even in that case, the low-frequency changes are likely to be less.

And as others noted, 15cm differences closer or further away from a sofa or other Item in the measurement position do make a difference! So the similar position must be used.

МТК,

Great question. Currently, the top mic on the iPad and the bottom mic on the iPhone are used. We'll make this clearer in the app.
Oh, so WiiM is still monitoring this forum and promptly making changes.

Then could you please clarify whether the function for importing equalization profiles from third party programs such as EAPO or REW will be open? It is VERY inconvenient to enter many numbers manually

Last edited:
Importing files would be way cool.

Any word on external mic support?

Did two evaluation at the exact same spot. Did one yesterday and did one today. I feel theyre completely different. Can someone put their two cents on this. Not sure i understand the output either.

Attachments

• IMG_6428.PNG
    IMG_6428.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6429.PNG
    IMG_6429.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Did two evaluation at the exact same spot. Did one yesterday and did one today. I feel theyre completely different. Can someone put their two cents on this. Not sure i understand the output either.
Made another one and got this. Two of em are pretty close. Feel its pretty random.

Attachments

• IMG_6430.PNG
    IMG_6430.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Back