Room correction

Buchardt audio s400 mk2. Amp: Nad c3050. Sub q-acoustics 3060s.
Mic: Iphone 11.

That was a weird result using the internal microphone. I think a few of us saw similar responses.

Will be interesting once I get my wiim, compare built in measurements, phone mic, then with umik1, with my REW/UMIK1 results, and other people doing the same with iphone mics.

If there is massive difference between the two it might be best not to use phone for measurements.

Just received an Amp firmware update today and noticed that I've now got independent PEQ for L/R and also have a Room Correction option in the Android app. At least I think this is all new . . . or has the RC been available on Android for a while and I never noticed??

When doing correction, during the Acoustic Measurement step, the screen says "using the Built In Microphone for acoustic measurement" and the "built-in microphone" is in green font. This suggests to me that I could be using something other than the built-in microphone?

Just received an Amp firmware update today and noticed that I've now got independent PEQ for L/R and also have a Room Correction option in the Android app. At least I think this is all new . . . or has the RC been available on Android for a while and I never noticed??
It's relatively new (for Android), but really related to the WiiM Home App version.

This suggests to me that I could be using something other than the built-in microphone?
Yes, you can. We don't know for sure yet if all USB mics are supported, but I can tell from first hands experience, that e.g. the very popular MiniDSP UMIK-1 works flawlessly (and certainly a lot better that any built-in mic).

When doing correction, during the Acoustic Measurement step, the screen says "using the Built In Microphone for acoustic measurement" and the "built-in microphone" is in green font. This suggests to me that I could be using something other than the built-in microphone?
Answering my own question.

Found my mis-placed USB-A/USB-C adapter and plugged my UMIK-1 into my Pixel 3. Initially I got the same readings, and still had the "built-in microphone" statement. But then I gave the adapter a wiggle, the blue light lit up on the UMIK, and I did another measurement. This time, the app said "using UMIK-1 -18db gain microphone". Voila!

Clearly the Wiim Home app can find/recognize the UMIK. There is no provision in the app for entering a calibration file directly or a serial number to find find a calibration file, but my understanding is that the calibration file has only negligible impact on things like room measurement, and is more necessary for more sensitive work like measuring drivers.

FWIW, the measurement curves were substantially different w/ UMIK than w/ the native mic. The SPL levels are significantly different, for example. This was with my phone "flat" but elevated above a counter, very close to the placement of the UMIK. \

Top image is UMIK. Bottom image is native phone mic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240804-134524.png
    Screenshot_20240804-134524.png
    410.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20240804-134207.png
    Screenshot_20240804-134207.png
    456.4 KB · Views: 56
But then I gave the adapter a wiggle, the blue light lit up on the UMIK, and I did another measurement.
Oopsie, what kind of adapter? All you need is a matching cable. Depending on the age of your UMIK-1 either USB-C to USB-C or Mini USB to USB-C.

Even if there is no way to import the calibration file yet, I'd surely trust the UMIK-1. Have a look at your calibration file. Corrections are rather minimal.

Yes, you can. We don't know for sure yet if all USB mics are supported, but I can tell from first hands experience, that e.g. the very popular MiniDSP UMIK-1 works flawlessly (and certainly a lot better that any built-in mic).
Is this being discussed in some other thread somewhere? I thought I had been following this fairly closely but hadn't noticed discussions of Android w/ external mics.

Do we know if Wiim "wants" the UMIK to be placed pointed at the ceiling vs pointed at the speakers? Pointed to the ceiling is the more typical orientation when measuring rooms w/ REW, isn't it?

Is this being discussed in some other thread somewhere? I thought I had been following this fairly closely but hadn't noticed discussions of Android w/ external mics.
Yes, it's been discussed already. Please don't ask me for details. :)

Do we know if Wiim "wants" the UMIK to be placed pointed at the ceiling vs pointed at the speakers? Pointed to the ceiling is the more typical orientation when measuring rooms w/ REW, isn't it?
No, not really. MiniDSP provide different calibration files fo 0° and for 90° and AVRs usually want you to have their mics pointing to the ceiling. But there's absolutely no reason to believe WiiM wants us to do so.

Oopsie, what kind of adapter? All you need is a matching cable. Depending on the age of your UMIK-1 either USB-C to USB-C or Mini USB to USB-C.
Didn't have a C-to-C cable handy and the UMIK ships w/ only a C to A. So I found a Google A to C adapter in a drawer.

Didn't have a C-to-C cable handy and the UMIK ships w/ only a C to A. So I found a Google A to C adapter in a drawer.
If this is really just a passive adapter you should be fine. After giving bit a wiggle. :)

Answering my own question.

Found my mis-placed USB-A/USB-C adapter and plugged my UMIK-1 into my Pixel 3. Initially I got the same readings, and still had the "built-in microphone" statement. But then I gave the adapter a wiggle, the blue light lit up on the UMIK, and I did another measurement. This time, the app said "using UMIK-1 -18db gain microphone". Voila!

Clearly the Wiim Home app can find/recognize the UMIK. There is no provision in the app for entering a calibration file directly or a serial number to find find a calibration file, but my understanding is that the calibration file has only negligible impact on things like room measurement, and is more necessary for more sensitive work like measuring drivers.

FWIW, the measurement curves were substantially different w/ UMIK than w/ the native mic. The SPL levels are significantly different, for example. This was with my phone "flat" but elevated above a counter, very close to the placement of the UMIK. \

Thanks for your feedback.
However, it proofs also that the iphone mic works pretty well from a „room perspective view“. A sidemark: for you this means, if the UMIK results would be better, that a) you need to correct even more (which might be a problem) and b) that the previous results should have also very positive impact already…

FYI here's the image of what the UMIK1 calibration file does.

Attachments

• cal.jpg
    cal.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 50
Back