Server Recommendations & General setup Help

HAPPY1

Hi Team,

So i pulled the pin and got the pro plus but I am struggling to set up a server to work effectively.

Apologies up front that i am new to servers and music streaming so some of this might be down to me not doing things properly!!

I have my music on a mac mini and tried the following:
- Plex as a server - This was easy to add but the wiim app couldnt see a lot of music (i.e album folders were empty)
- Logitech media server - tried this but the Wiim App couldnt see it as a source
- Minimserver - tried this one which worked but I cant figure out how to change the tags so it was really off putting when trying to navigate throgh genres, tags etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a server that is easy to use, simple interface at the source end and works well with the wiim app?

I supposed i am used to using itunes and setting up the tags there so some of the server software looks daunting

Last edited:
Hi Team,

So i pulled the pin and got the pro plus but I am struggling to set up a server to work effectively.

Apologies up front that i am new to servers and music streaming so some of this might be down to me not doing things properly!!

I have my music on a mac mini and tried the following:
- Plex as a server - This was easy to add but the wiim app couldnt see a lot of music (i.e album folders were empty)
- Logitech media server - tried this but the Wiim App couldnt see it as a source
- Minimserver - tried this one which worked but I cant figure out how to change the tags so it was really off putting when trying to navigate throgh genres, tags etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a server that is easy to use, simple interface at the source end and works well with the wiim app?

I supposed i am used to using itunes and setting up the tags there so some of the server software looks daunting
If using LMS then you 'push' the files to the wiim from lms rather than 'pull' them from lms in the wiim app.
i.e. you should see the wiim as an endpoint within lms.

re minimserver, on windows I'd use a program like mp3 tag to fix up the file metadata.
Note that I think minimserver requires a manual rescan to pick up the changes.
Don't know what an equivalent is for mac!

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Ee,

Sounds like LMS isn't going to work whilst sing the WiiM app

I can't see what the metadata files via minimserver on the Mac so not are what to change and keep.

I think I am missing something about the functionality of minimserver

I can't see what the metadata files via minimserver on the Mac so not are what to change and keep.
When installed, MinimServer will scan the configured music directory. What are you seeing in the WiiM app?

Plex pulls metadata from the internet whereas MinimServer uses the metadata from your files. I hope that iTunes stores your changes in the files but I have heard instances where it stores album art in its database.

Last edited:
If you right click the MinimServer icon (running in the system tray) and choose 'Properties', is the path in 'contentDir' correct?

If it isn't:
  • correct the path, click OK, then right click on the MinimServer icon and choose 'Rescan'.
If it is:
  • Click OK, then right click on the MinimServer icon and choose 'Show log'. Does it contain any warnings or errors? The last few lines should read:
Code:
Library contains {n} audio files in {n} folders
{name of music server} is running

If the log doesn't contain any warnings or errors and the 'Library contains {n} audio files in {n} folders' numbers are broadly correct then it might be useful to see some screenshots of what you're seeing in the WiiM app as you should see:
Code:
{n} albums
{n} items
{n} playlists
Artist
Date
Genre
All Artists

Last edited:
Thanks simbun,

I will re check the settings and confirm what I am seeing.

Another quick question i could, the server files are going to be my main source so is there anyway to reduce the number of clicks to access it?

for exaple, i think yo need to go to home sharing, server, etc. is there any way to add the server to the preset buttons?

for exaple, i think yo need to go to home sharing, server, etc. is there any way to add the server to the preset buttons?
This has been requested many times before but at the moment there's no way to do this, other than to use a dedicated UPnP app like BubbleUPnP (Android) or mconnect (iOS).

Thanks simbun,

I will re check the settings and confirm what I am seeing.

Another quick question i could, the server files are going to be my main source so is there anyway to reduce the number of clicks to access it?

You could try the bookmark feature instead of presets

You could try the bookmark feature instead of presets
That only works for index selections and albums though.
Even if you could bookmark the root it's still more clicks that just selecting the music server (at least with MinimServer it is) :)

To take you somewhere specific it's useful.

Back