Sub crossover setting

TSHRED

My speakers consist of 2 floor standing tower speakers.
A/D/S L1090.

My new sub arrives today.
An RSL Speedwoofer 10E.

I will use the Sub out on the Ultra to an RCA splitter then RCA left/right sub in

My speakers roll off at about 40hz.

Do I set the sub to "bypass" on it's crossover since I'll be using the WiiM crossover settings?

How do I avoid crossover setting redundancy?

Don't use LFE for stereo setup?

Is a good place to start at about 60hz considering my speaker spec?

As you can tell I'm a newbie setting up a sub.

Thanks

My speakers consist of 2 floor standing tower speakers.
A/D/S L1090.

My new sub arrives today.
An RSL Speedwoofer 10E.

I will use the Sub out on the Ultra to an RCA splitter then RCA left/right sub in

My speakers roll off at about 40hz.

Do I set the sub to "bypass" on it's crossover since I'll be using the WiiM crossover settings?

How do I avoid crossover setting redundancy?

Don't use LFE for stereo setup?

Is a good place to start at about 60hz considering my speaker spec?

As you can tell I'm a newbie setting up a sub.

Thanks
I don't think you need an RCA splitter. Just connect the sub out to the RCA left sub in.

I was wondering if that would trigger LFE and if so would that be a problem?
Trigger LFE? The sub just responds to the signal. Most subs with stereo RCA input have one of the inputs labelled to be used with a mono cable, on mine it is actually labelled "Mono" yours has "LFE".

Passive?

Therefore you will need a stereo power amplifier

Wiim Ultra L/R pre out (variable) Into a stereo power amplifier, RCA. Speaker cable from stereo power amp into speakers
Wiim Ultra sub pre out into subwoofer. Disable the subwoofers own low pass

In your Wiim, before you switch on the power amplifier - ENSURE YOU SET VARIABLE LEVEL and set it to very low level to start. Then switch on power amplifier.
Set subwoofer to on, high pass speakers to something like 60hz or something like that, those medium sized floorstanders probably have F3 around 60hz, just guessing without looking at the spec, or knowing room effeects.

Passive?

Therefore you will need a stereo power amplifier

Wiim Ultra L/R pre out (variable) Into a stereo power amplifier, RCA. Speaker cable from stereo power amp into speakers
Wiim Ultra sub pre out into subwoofer. Disable the subwoofers own low pass

In your Wiim, before you switch on the power amplifier - ENSURE YOU SET VARIABLE LEVEL and set it to very low level to start. Then switch on power amplifier.
Set subwoofer to on, high pass speakers to something like 60hz or something like that, those medium sized floorstanders probably have F3 around 60hz, just guessing without looking at the spec, or knowing room effeects.
Yeah it looks like if I take the crossover knob and go all the way down it will bypass it.Screenshot_20240919_081250_Facebook.jpg

Ok, a streamer, pre amp, power amp, passive speakers.

Connect L/R analogue output from Wiim Ultra into "CD" input or similar.
Set Wiim output to fixed, 100%
In Wiim set sub to off
From your Van Alstine preamp, connect Left and right pre out into the subwoofer
Adjust crossover on the subwoofer itself to blend into the speakers.
Van Alstine preamp controls master volume for speakers and subwoofer.

If you want to do something else like high passing between the pre and power then that's more difficult.

What are the hi filter and lo filter knobs on the pre amp?

High passing your speakers means something like this, a high pass device between pre and power.

Attachments

• high.jpg
    high.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 5

In Wiim set sub to off

If you want to do something else like high passing between the pre and power then that's more difficult.

So don't use the sub out on the Ultra?

I tried coming off the other line out on the preamp with my previous sub I had but I can never get the volume I needed out of sub it was too faint.

Also a detail that I've probably should have included.
I have a manual attenuator right next to where I sit and I use that in the subwoofer RCA line in order to add or subtract as needed.

20240919_083932.jpg

In Wiim set sub to off

Presumably he wants to use the subwoofer crossover on the Ultra so will need to use the volume control on the Ultra.

If you use sub from wiim to sub, that would mean needing to adjust volume on the ultra (variable) then matching and changing realative to changing volume on the Van Alstine preamp. Everytime you adjust the Van Alstine preamp, the sub will be set incorrectly. major pain in the backside.

Unless you adjust Van Alstine preamp volume, set wiim sub pre out volume and never touch volume on the Van Alstine preamp. That way the two are matched in volume

One option is connecting the wiim ultra L/R pre out into the power amplifier, variable level of course. Sub pre out into sub.

So the Wiim Ultra acts as a streamer and pre amp.

Yeah it looks like if I take the crossover knob and go all the way down it will bypass it.
Make sure to consult the manual. That would be rather unusual. More likely you have to set it all the way up to get it into the bypass position (which is what you want).

Back