Ultra - Sub cuts out at low volume

No sub issues. I set the sub volume at 70 db and the same with the mains and then ran the room eq. So far it’s been great.

Was busy over the weekend, so this morning I started listening for the first time after a firmware update (5.2.624365). Like last week, I just worked away but this time I didn't notice anything and realized it was a couple hours later. I don't see anything in the firmware notes about this, but maybe something got reset or changed for the better. I'm at a loss otherwise, so crossing my fingers this is a non-issue. Maybe I'm just crazy - I'm absolutely open to that. :) I also think I never once "rebooted" the Ultra since the initial power-on (and immediate firmware update). Like all computers, maybe a reboot fixed it?

After thinking about it later last week, I realized the biggest annoyance that I noticed without noticing was stereo imaging. I have my single sub exactly in the middle of the 2 mains, so when the sub was seemingly cutting out, the stereo imaging would shift (wider). I couldn't put my finger on that initially... So far so good though right now.

It still seems that at low volumes, the bass goes too quiet too soon relatively to the mains, as if there is a separate slope. In general, this could be chalked up to the fact that we perceive bass/treble volume differently (think "loudness" button here.) Although, one volume click down (usually around 20%) and the mains seem to reduce that one click, but my perception is that the sub reduces 5 clicks or so. I just don't seem to notice that on my WiiM Amp, but it is a different speaker/sub setup in a different room. I think I'll still swap the WiiM amp in with my office setup to more closely compare.

Net-net, in case anyone was trying to make a determination to buy the WiiM Ultra, it seems to be a keeper.

Anyone hear mention or ask if he's using a digital coaxial cable to the sub? I had the exact same thing happening with my Denon AVR so I'm sure it's not a WIIM thing. Could never figure it out or try that coaxial cable to be honest, just started using the Wiim Ultra and that fixed it, maybe adjusting the sound output (Vrm) on the Wiim might help. following!

eDIT: So I'm seeing that a coaxial cable is not needed for sub outs and that any rca cable is good to go, I will share what I changed that might have helped with the low volume shut off scenario, I've never tried it with my Denon but just throwing it out there for something to try with the WiiM. On the subwoofer itself, dial the cross over frequency all the way up and let WiiM handel the cross over on its end.

Last edited:
Although, one volume click down (usually around 20%) and the mains seem to reduce that one click, but my perception is that the sub reduces 5 clicks or so. I just don't seem to notice that on my WiiM Amp, but it is a different speaker/sub setup in a different room.
I cannot detect any difference in behaviour between WiiM AMP and WiiM Ultra. I also cannot confirm any relative difference between mains and sub volume.

To be honest I still don't understand how you control the volume, though. The setup you described in your opening post doesn't make much sense to me:
WiiM Ultra (Fixed volume at 50%)
  • RCA to Fosi ZA3 (100% volume)
    • KEF Q150
  • RCA to SVS 3000 Micro (-2db volume)
    • LFE (LP crossover disabled on sub)
  • Crossover set at 120hz (but isue repros wherever this is set)

If you want to use the Ultra's sub out it must be the only device having full and exclusive control over the volume. Anything else leads to a mismatch in level whenever you change the volume in any other way.

Last edited:
Has anyone using sub has this problem?
Well... I relocated the sub and, now I'm having the same problem..LMFAO.. wondering if it's the cable now. Have a "nicer" cable coming in tomorrow. See what happens.

For anyone still here, I figured out how to fix my similar problem with the subwoofer not playing during low volume. It was doing it with my Denon receiver and the Wiim Ultra, so I'm sure it's not a Wiim Ultra problem. It's the subwoofer. The fix? Elevated the 5.3db EQ .. and boom .. now working.
Screenshot_20240826-102051.png

For anyone still here, I figured out how to fix my similar problem with the subwoofer not playing during low volume. It was doing it with my Denon receiver and the Wiim Ultra, so I'm sure it's not a Wiim Ultra problem. It's the subwoofer. The fix? Elevated the 5.3db EQ .. and boom .. now working.
If that fixes the issue for you (and I have no doubt it does) you could just as well have increased the sub level in the WiiM Home App by 5 dB and reduced the volume on the sub by the same amount.

If you like the new EQ better anyway you can leave it like that, of course.

If that fixes the issue for you (and I have no doubt it does) you could just as well have increased the sub level in the WiiM Home App by 5 dB and reduced the volume on the sub by the same amount.

If you like the new EQ better anyway you can leave it like that, of course.
I tried that and found when I did raise the music volume the bass would be too elevated... But, lowering the bass unit itself would've helped as you stated, Kinda wished my new amp had a bass out right now. The EQ thing is helping out with how I like my sound (warm) too so huge win for me.

I tried that and found when I did raise the music volume the bass would be too elevated... But, lowering the bass unit itself would've helped as you stated, Kinda wished my new amp had a bass out right now. The EQ thing is helping out with how I like my sound (warm) too so huge win for me.
You're using the WiiM Ultra as the only pre-amp, no other device with its own volume control?

Yes, Wiim Ultra (is my preamp ) straight to the amp. No in between, not yet anyway. Dam tempted to grab the Denefrips 12th-1 to put in between the two
The dac built on ultra will satisfy casual listeners but the hardcore audiophile.

The dac built on ultra will satisfy casual listeners but the hardcore audiophile.
It's good but I got used to my headphone tubed amplifier, I have a heavily modified Darkvoice336 with some premium tubes. I do like the sound of the Wiim. It's with certain tracks I miss the vocal tone of some jazz artists. But for EDM. Banger. Wiim Ultra sounds great.

View attachment 10906
I see 5.3dB boost is set for 125H. What crossover frequency have you for sub cutoff?

Not if the Wiim is controlling it, it cuts off where I have it set. Right now (I think) I have the cutoff at 40, I play with it, sometimes at 130, sometimes at 80, but never maxed. (Using bookshelf speakers that drop to rated 40 low)

Not if the Wiim is controlling it, it cuts off where I have it set. Right now (I think) I have the cutoff at 40, I play with it, sometimes at 130, sometimes at 80, but never maxed.
So, you mean your sub is set to 250 Hz so it doesn't interfere with the Ultra's bass management? That's OK.

But your idea of adjusting the crossover frequency within the WiiM Home App based on whatever music you are playing is not going to work out. You cannot change just this single parameter and expect the sub integration to work well. Whenever you change the crossover frequency you will have to also re-adjust the delay, the level, the EQ.

Yes, Wiim Ultra (is my preamp ) straight to the amp. No in between, not yet anyway. Dam tempted to grab the Denefrips 12th-1 to put in between the two
I’m the same thinking about trying an r2r dac. Heard the fiio is coming out with the k11 r2r. Not sure on the quality though. But might be worth trying if nothing else to dip my toes in the r2r dac world.

Back