Ultra - Sub cuts out at low volume

No, it couldn't. :) .Not in a sensible way.

But you can easily set the volume level in the WiiM Home App to +10 dB and further decrease the volume on the sub.

Why would you ask for some miracle solution without trying the obvious one, first? ;)
Because for some songs, if I would like to increase the sub volume from the app, I cannot go higher than 10. I have to go to sub then

No, it couldn't. :) .Not in a sensible way.

I still think it's possible. My subwoofer used to work with NAD 356 before. I used the speaker outputs (via adapter) and the subwoofer was activated from the minimum volume. When there was no music playing, it didn't activate.

Because for some songs, if I would like to increase the sub volume from the app, I cannot go higher than 10. I have to go to sub then
For that you have EQ ...

And isn't the sub volume setting up to 15 dB?

Reactions: sNc
I still think it's possible. My subwoofer used to work with NAD 356 before. I used the speaker outputs (via adapter) and the subwoofer was activated from the minimum volume. When there was no music playing, it didn't activate.
Totally different setup, no comparison. It might have this single advantage but also a lot of disadvantages.

I have same issue you have so what I did play pipe organ then sub would turn on then change to preferred music.

That sounds more like a sub issue than a WiiM issue.
I agree, it is a sub issue. I had the exact same thing happening with an AVR receiver, and it's carried over to the Wiim Ultra. The only thing the same between the two... is the SUB. It's a SUB issue, not the Wiim ULtra. I do remember a loudness button on older receivers just for this issue.

I finally figured it out... For me, attaching an external DAC via Coax.. at any sound level, the sub out works as advertised.
PXL_20240907_224828200.jpg

I still have the subout from the Wiim Ultra, working like a charm. (currently on 2 vmrs)
Yes, I understand that. But your external DAC also has a certain output voltage, of course. That's what I wanted to know.

Btw., you cannot set the sub output voltage directly with the WiiM Ultra and you cannot set it to 2 Vrms. The maximum value is 1 V.

@staticV3 has been kind enough to share his measurements over on AudioScienceReview:

Yes, I understand that. But your external DAC also has a certain output voltage, of course. That's what I wanted to know.

Btw., you cannot set the sub output voltage directly with the WiiM Ultra and you cannot set it to 2 Vrms. The maximum value is 1 V.

@staticV3 has been kind enough to share his measurements over on AudioScienceReview:
Good to know, if and when using the Wiim Ultra alone (without an external DAC) the vrms will still have an effect on the overall sound, Less output from left right channels (when dropping the vmrs) will give that perceived additional output from the Sub.

I had to look that up for you. The micro iDSD Black Label has a 6.3mm RCA line out with a fixed 2V output and a variable 2V-5V output. The Direct line out is 2V... the Preamp out is variable 2V-5V, I'm on Direct, sounds the cleanest for my setup.

The important thing to remember is that that right output level balance between mains and sub must be found for each system and setup individually. Different sensitivity of passive main speakers and different volume settings and gain on different subwoofers will all have an effect nobody can foresee for all possible combinations. That's one reason why the WiiM Home App subwoofer out level can be adjusted from -15 dB to + 15 dB. 0 dB is not magically "right" but just a value WiiM took as a reasonable default. If a subwoofer's auto-on feature doesn't work as expected with low volume music it's a good idea to increase the level fed to the sub, which makes it necessary to reduce the volume on the sub itself.

I had to look that up for you. The micro iDSD Black Label has a 6.3mm RCA line out with a fixed 2V output and a variable 2V-5V output. The Direct line out is 2V... the Preamp out is variable 2V-5V, I'm on Direct, sounds the cleanest for my setup.
Thanks for looking this up. So, effectively the output of your external DAC at 0 dBFS should be the same as the default output of the Ultra's DAC. I don't know why it makes a difference then, but the most important thing is that this did indeed solve the issue in your setup. Nice.

Last edited:
The important thing to remember is that that right output level balance between mains and sub must be found for each system and setup individually. Different sensitivity of passive main speakers and different volume settings and gain on different subwoofers will all have an effect nobody can foresee for all possible combinations. That's one reason why the WiiM Home App subwoofer out level can be adjusted from -15 dB to + 15 dB. 0 dB is not magically "right" but just a value WiiM took as a reasonable default. If a subwoofer's auto-on feature doesn't work as expected with low volume music it's a good idea to increase the level fed to the sub, which makes it necessary to reduce the volume on the sub itself.

Thanks for looking this up. So, effectively the output of your external DAC at 0 dBFS should be the same as the default output of the Ultra's DAC. I don't know why it makes a difference then, but the most important thing is that this setup did indeed solve the issue in your setup. Nice.
Thanks, I'm relieved it's working out, I was ready to pony up for a Musician Pegasus R2R DAC, but am happy with the iFi, the only (obvious) difference is that I'm using the coaxial out vs the RCA outputs. I still might get that other DAC, much later though. Content for now.

And then the bass cuts out again... 🤣🤣 Ok, I quit... Maybe it is just the subwoofer. I'll probably try that 5w output with a RCA splitter from the DAC at some point. 😒
Edit* if I raise volume slight then lower it the sub holds.

Last edited:
Back