Sub integration via digital outputs?

bamyasi

Hi,

WiiM told us sub integration is also supported in the digital domain but how it does it work? Which digital output is used for the separate LFE/subwoofer channels? Is this "SUB OUT" RCA switched to carry S/PDIF signal? Please, is there any WiiM Ultra owners who maybe tried it already?

Thanks,

Bamyasi

Hi,

WiiM told us sub integration is also supported in the digital domain but how it does it work? Which digital output is used for the separate LFE/subwoofer channels? Is this "SUB OUT" RCA switched to carry S/PDIF signal? Please, is there any WiiM Ultra owners who maybe tried it already?

Thanks,

Bamyasi
Hi,

I don't know if my answer is the answer you are looking for, but this is an overview of the sub out.

1. Sub Out
The volume, low-pass, and Phase (0/180) of the Sub are adjusted by the WiiM DSP and reflected in the subwoofer. Therefore, the subwoofer side uses the LFE input, low-pass set to maximum, phase set to 0, and volume adjusted appropriately.

2. Main Out
High-pass is applied to all outputs except the USB output.
(Currently the USB Out does not allow sub, but the WiiM team says they are looking into whether this is possible.)

The low-pass and high-pass will vary according to the crossover adjusted in the subwoofer settings in the WiiM app. The crossover range is 30Hz-250Hz. The slope is 24 dB/1 octave.

The delay between the main speakers and the subwoofer can also be adjusted.

2. Main Out
(Currently the USB Out does not allow sub, but the WiiM team says they are looking into whether this is possible.)

This, we haven’t got any answer. If its not possible atlist they could inform us instead of speculating.

2. Main Out

This, we haven’t got any answer. If its not possible atlist they could inform us instead of speculating.

No guesses. Currently it is not possible to output USB and sub at the same time.

Also, the support team stated here "We will carefully evaluate the feasibility of supporting USB out together with sub out."

No guesses. Currently it is not possible to output USB and sub at the same time.

Also, the support team stated here "We will carefully evaluate the feasibility of supporting USB out together with sub out."

Was not asking about the USB, was asking about S/PDIF (coax & optical) outputs. Or any other way to output sub and mains digital signals separately, but not via USB since one will need a multi-channel DAC for USB anyway, even if WiiM implements multi-channel USB output eventually.

Was not asking about the USB, was asking about S/PDIF (coax & optical) outputs. Or any other way to output sub and mains digital signals separately, but not via USB since one will need a multi-channel DAC for USB anyway, even if WiiM implements multi-channel USB output eventually.
I replied to @Smartplug not you. 🙂

Do you want to use the digital output as a Sub-Out?
If so, you cannot.

I replied to @Smartplug not you. 🙂

Do you want to use the digital output as a Sub-Out?
If so, you cannot.
No idea. I was asking how to do this because Wiim Support have confirmed earlier on multiple occasions that it would be possible to do sub integration in digital domain only, with no analog outputs involved and bypassing the internal WiiM DAC completely. E.g., using two external DACs instead. However, they never told us how this is supposed to work. Now, it looks like in fact, this is not possible with the WiiM Ultra.

Dear @WiiM Support, now that the WiiM Ultra has been officially released and orders are being placed, I would really appreciate a definitive answer to my question.

Thank you,
Bamyasi

No idea. I was asking how to do this because Wiim Support have confirmed earlier on multiple occasions that it would be possible to do sub integration in digital domain only, with no analog outputs involved and bypassing the internal WiiM DAC completely. E.g., using two external DACs instead. However, they never told us how this is supposed to work. Now, it looks like in fact, this is not possible with the WiiM Ultra.

Dear @WiiM Support, now that the WiiM Ultra has been officially released and orders are being placed, I would really appreciate a definitive answer to my question.

Thank you,
Bamyasi
Raise a ticket via the settings/feedback section in the app if you want a direct answer from WiiM - they only frequent the forum occasionally

Raise a ticket via the settings/feedback section in the app if you want a direct answer from WiiM - they only frequent the forum occasionally
I haven't ordered my WiiM Ultra yet, that's the reason I was asking. If a digital 2.1 crossover is not doable then I am not interested.

Purely in the digital domain? I've never seen such a statement, can you please quote?
Open "WiiM Ultra Questions & Answers" link in the top post for the "Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music" thread, then check Q. #12. I posted this question, actually. Quoting answer from the WiiM Support below as well:

"The audio is output either through analog or digital channels, but not simultaneously. EQ, room correction, and subwoofer settings can be applied to either the analog or digital output."

There was another post on this thread with the similar question (and answer) which I cannot find at the moment. The thread is so big, but I will try and update if I find it. However, it was also worded vaguely, just like the answer quoted above.

Nope, they specifically said this would not be possible. Either analog our digital but not a combination of both.
I think you’re misinterpreting the answer. It is correct to say that you can’t have the main analog output and a digital output active at the same time (nor any two main outputs for that matter). The second part of that answer is saying that EQ, room correction or subwoofer settings can be used in the app irrespective of which main output you use I.e, analog or digital, but I don’t see anything there that would suggest that the sub output is digital - the sub out isn’t a main but subsidiary output I.e you can’t choose sub output without choosing a main output…

I think you’re misinterpreting the answer. It is correct to say that you can’t have the main analog output and a digital output active at the same time (nor any two main outputs for that matter). The second part of that answer is saying that EQ, room correction or subwoofer settings can be used in the app irrespective of which main output you use I.e, analog or digital, but I don’t see anything there that would suggest that the sub output is digital…
Again, that's your interpretation vs my interpretation. What I would like to hear before ordering is the WiiM version of the answer ;-). Although I might just bite the bullet and place my order with Amazon, then return it if it does not work. But I do not like wasting resources. Unless it's the only way to find out.

Again, that's your interpretation vs my interpretation. What I would like to hear before ordering is the WiiM version of the answer ;-). Although I might just bite the bullet and place my order with Amazon, then return it if it does not work. But I do not like wasting resources. Unless it's the only way to find out.
I think your interpretation is the way you want it to work. Which interpretation is more likely?

No, that’s my experience
Great, then thank you very much for confirming it. I would proceed with my order knowing that at least it has a good chance to actually work. Your unit is pre-production, correct?

Great, then thank you very much for confirming it. I would proceed with my order knowing that at least it has a good chance to actually work. Your unit is pre-production, correct?
I’ll retract that as I don’t have a sub, but I’ve never considered the sub out to be digital as there’s no indication in the app that it is, such as setting its resolution etc as there is for the coax and spdif outputs.

Last edited:
Nope, they specifically said this would not be possible. Either analog our digital but not a combination of both.
A combination digital output plus sub output has been confirmed by WiiM as the implemented one, it's an exception for the common rule that only one output can be active the same time.

Back