Support for plex

OK, I can see that may be a compelling reason for some, but as I don't have any stored music files, listening away from home is the same as listening at home, via Tidal.
Wait so you don't have any locally stored music? :) I've already got LMS running - material skin and all, but still prefer Plexamp (not just Plex) for my own music stored on my NAS. The Overall interface feels better and as mentioned before it's great for listening remotely. Also, the intelligent playlists like song radio or mood are spot on actually! Very Spotify-ish.

Agreed, there's no support for plugins for integration of services like Tidal or internet radio, but it's not trying to be an all-in-one app like LMS.

But yes, it's a shame they took the effort to implement Chromecast, but not just standard UPnP

Also, unless you have a computer to use as a server, on the NAS side of things, a lot more devices support to run Plex server. LMS on the other hand had to be installed as a virtual machine in Docker, which can only run with an Intel processor.

But hey, Squeezebox support is on the roadmap! I will give it a better look once I can get my hands on the WiiM Pro

LMS on the other hand had to be installed as a virtual machine in Docker, which can only run with an Intel processor.
Not true at all. I'm running LMS on a Raspberry Pi, and have successfully tested it on the $29 Inovato Quadra.

I run LMS and Plex. LMS runs on everything that Plex does plus a fair more few besides.

Not true at all. I'm running LMS on a Raspberry Pi, and have successfully tested it on the $29 Inovato Quadra.
Yes, but talking about more consumer oriented devices. A raspberry can run pretty much everything of course :)

Is there any h/w audio streamer at any price that currently has native plexamp client support? Otherwise it seems that it’s a moot point.🧐
No
Yes, but talking about more consumer oriented devices. A raspberry can run pretty much everything of course :)
Is a NAS “consumer oriented”? My wife doesn’t even know what it is.

No

Is a NAS “consumer oriented”? My wife doesn’t even know what it is.
Mine already does in the meantime 😅
I meant they are a more ready-to-use solution. But my point about "NASsez" specifically was: even a 100$ single bay Western Digital with ARM processor can run Plex server (even though it won't do any real time video encoding). Not so with LMS.

I don't see why it's a moot point. Yes, the WiiM would probably be one of the first (if not THE first) streamers to be a native Plex endpoint, but hey why not? 🙂 The music oriented Plexamp app is still pretty young & Plex is still an active company with a large user base. WIN-WIN?

Mine already does in the meantime 😅
I meant they are a more ready-to-use solution. But my point about "NASsez" specifically was: even a 100$ single bay Western Digital with ARM processor can run Plex server (even though it won't do any real time video encoding). Not so with LMS.

I don't see why it's a moot point. Yes, the WiiM would probably be one of the first (if not THE first) streamers to be a native Plex endpoint, but hey why not? 🙂 Plex is still an active company and has a large user base. WIN-WIN?
I have nothing against Plex. I use it for video. I agree that it does seem to be available on even low grade hardware whereas LMS these days can really only run on NAS when in a Docker. That’s because LMS is now a community project whereas Plex seems to be something else with an income stream although I will admit I’m not sure what it really is. There is really no argument and a place for both.

You can’t say the same for Roon where a big argument has kicked over there -> or is it there <- in the Roon Ready Beta thread. I’m saying nothing.

I have nothing against Plex. I use it for video. I agree that it does seem to be available on even low grade hardware whereas LMS these days can really only run on NAS when in a Docker. That’s because LMS is now a community project whereas Plex seems to be something else with an income stream although I will admit I’m not sure what it really is. There is really no argument and a place for both.

You can’t say the same for Roon where a big argument has kicked over there -> or is it there <- in the Roon Ready Beta thread. I’m saying nothing.
Plex has their so called Plex pass of 5$/month which enables real-time transcoding (only really needed for watching videos remotely) and the use of Plexamp.

Ooofff just had a quick read through the Roon Ready thread 😅😅

Didn't suspect Roon would be such a pain to implement. Maybe it's the same with Plex(amp). :/

If only they would just implement UPnP... There's so many people on their forums asking for the same thing

The Overall interface feels better and as mentioned before it's great for listening remotely. Also, the intelligent playlists like song radio or mood are spot on actually! Very Spotify-ish.
Plex’s artist radio, time travel radio, etc. are awesome! It’s a great way to listen to music if you’re not sure exactly what you want to listen to from your library. I would love to have this integration in WiiM for that one-stop shop experience. The Plexamp app experience is really really nice … (hopefully Roon’s ARC app will get there eventually, but I digress).

Ooofff just had a quick read through the Roon Ready thread 😅😅

Didn't suspect Roon would be such a pain to implement. Maybe it's the same with Plex(amp). :/

If only they would just implement UPnP... There's so many people on their forums asking for the same thing
Hi Pieterv1, UPnP render has been supported. Do you refer to some particular type of UPnP that we haven't supported yet? Please help elaborate. Thank you!

Hi Pieterv1, UPnP render has been supported. Do you refer to some particular type of UPnP that we haven't supported yet? Please help elaborate. Thank you!
I read that as upnp support on Plex which would allow it to integrate with any upnp renderer, not just WiiM which as you say already is…

Yes
Yes sorry, I meant for Plex to implement UPnP in their software :) That would open up their software to so many existing streamers and receivers, including the WiiM of course

I’m confused.
I have a Plex server but I don’t use it for music.
As a test I popped an single album onto it and can see and play it via WiiM Home App / Home Music Server - surely that means Plex does support upnp or am I missing something?

I’m confused.
I have a Plex server but I don’t use it for music.
As a test I popped an single album onto it and can see and play it via WiiM Home App / Home Music Server - surely that means Plex does support upnp or am I missing something?
Yeah that's the Plex DLNA server. It serves up the Plex contents to Wiim. Not a very good user experience.

Back