Support for plex

Agreed.
Why do people keep saying it’s not supported though?
Is it not the other way round people are wanting I.e. Plex being able to send audio over UPNP to the WiiM as a target renderer rather than WiiM browsing the Plex DLNA server?

Agreed.
Why do people keep saying it’s not supported though?
Let's compare it to how LMS is working via upnp right now. Using upnp with LMS you can essentially use Wiim as an endpoint with LMS material skin as the remote. Right now with the Plexamp app there is no way to do this with the Wiim other than Chromecast. So it's not as seamless.

Plexamp has a headless client (similar to how we use squeezelite) that acts as an endpoint for Plex music. So with their Plexamp app you can remotely control the Plexamp headless client. I think this is what people are asking for. Similar to our ask for the wiim to support squeezelite.

Last edited:
So how is LinkPlay supposed to implement Plexamp client proprietary code (or is plexamp opensource)? You all need to be talking to Plex. Squeezelite is open source.

Last edited:
So how is LinkPlay supposed to implement Plexamp client proprietary code? You all need to be talking to Plex. Squeezelite is open source,
Can the Plexamp headless client, which is Linux based, be installed on the wiim? I don't know. Does a license or agreement with Plex need to be in place for Wiim to do this? I don't know. For users it does require a Plex pass subscription to use. But I assume the ask of Wiim is to add the Plexamp headless client to the wiim so Plexamp users can select it as a player. Similar to the ask of the roon client and squeezelite. For all I know none of this is possible. If Plex was smart they would be on board with this idea. But I'm not sure they would feel the same way we do.

Can the Plexamp headless client, which is Linux based, be installed on the wiim? I don't know. Does a license or agreement with Plex need to be in place for Wiim to do this? I don't know. For users it does require a Plex pass subscription to use. But I assume the ask of Wiim is to add the Plexamp headless client to the wiim so Plexamp users can select it as a player. Similar to the ask of the roon client and squeezelite. For all I know none of this is possible. If Plex was smart they would be on board with this idea. But I'm not sure they would feel the same way we do.
And for clarification to the Wiim folks, I'd much rather have squeezelite support added before Plex.

Just had a little read about Plexamp. Is that what Plex people really want? As far as I can make out it would result in HiRes files being transcoded / downsampled to Opus audio codec which seems to be a highly compressed low res format intended for playback on mobile devices although I note there is a Pi client.
Could someone explain is this what is being asked for?

And this is because it seems Plexamp’s original design goal was to be a mobile app that provided users with an on the go “Spotify” like experience from their own library. And it would push users to a plex-pass. As they provided desktop clients (because all Plexamp clients are node/react and they could easily port) it has started to become something beyond original intentions. But, I’m guessing Plex is figuring out how to go forward with it. Plexamp is basically their node code on top of MPD. They don’t market bit perfect playback quality - they market the UI experience and meta data they pull from Music Brainz. Unlike Roon, their business model so far is not about partnering with other hardware devices. All the Plex clients out there are their own and only on “App Store” devices. That opus codec is going to be a problem.

Does @WiiM Team have a LMS implementation up and running in test with UPnP, Material and Radio Paradise plugins? You should check out how amazingly awesome your under $100 device works with it already. It wowed me. I only bought one to test with at first not believing something this affordable could be any good. And then I said, “I need 3 more.” It should make you reconsider Samba support which will be a total nightmare (just ask Sonos).

I totally endorse this statement.
The only change you need to make to the default settings of the UPnP/DLNA Bridge in LMS is to increase the max sample rate to match your DAC when using Optical out.
Adding Squeezelite would further improve things to give Replay Gain and Smart Crossfade support.

Which is why I, as King, would prioritize Squeezelite support over samba. Unlike Roon, the only competitor for the LMS device market are Pi’s and minimally Sonore. LMS users are hungry for a consumer device like this. Not to mention a WiiM mini pulls 24/192 over Wi-Fi in my house like no Pi 3/4 could.

Can't wait to try out LMS properly once I get my hands on the WiiM Pro. Also, I'm asking myself what else there is to add from WiiM's side as it already seems to work pretty well? I don't care about crossfades and other gimmicks. Only gapless 👀

It's those things like "sweet fades" and dsp like eq and limiter that the Plex developers use as arguments why handing off the playback through UPnP offers an "inferior" experience compared to a headless native Plexamp client. None of these extra features really matter for anyone who just wants to listen to the music, in its original, unaltered form.

Still, I'd like to do all my listening using one single app, being Plexamp, but we've been through this quite a few times now 😅

Can't wait to try out LMS properly once I get my hands on the WiiM Pro. Also, I'm asking myself what else there is to add from WiiM's side as it already seems to work pretty well? I don't care about crossfades and other gimmicks. Only gapless 👀

It's those things like "sweet fades" and dsp like eq and limiter that the Plex developers use as arguments why handing off the playback through UPnP offers an "inferior" experience compared to a headless native Plexamp client. None of these extra features really matter for anyone who just wants to listen to the music, in its original, unaltered form.

Still, I'd like to do all my listening using one single app, being Plexamp, but we've been through this quite a few times now 😅
You are right but wrong. Smart Crossfade is a very clever mechanism but perhaps not that important if you are an album person. Replay Gain on the other hand makes a massive difference. No sudden jumping for the volume control because the new album has much more gain than its predecessor.

Which is why I, as King, would prioritize Squeezelite support over samba. Unlike Roon, the only competitor for the LMS device market are Pi’s and minimally Sonore. LMS users are hungry for a consumer device like this. Not to mention a WiiM mini pulls 24/192 over Wi-Fi in my house like no Pi 3/4 could.
There are a couple of other native players - Polyvection’s DAC32 and DIGI32. I have both now back in boxes as their 2.4Ghz WiFi didn’t play nice with Qobuz 24/192.

@d6jg - you live on a magical island 💂‍♀️ where you can buy things we don’t see in ‘Merica - like cheese and wine and weird little devices.
Actually Polyvection are German and I think they are available your side of the pond via Audiostore. Same guys who sell Sonore.
Replay Gain doesn’t do the Mambo with my single flac/cue sheet rips so thank the gods for remote control volume knobs.
I have never understood the attraction of cue sheets over individual files given a system that properly supports gapless?

Back