Two Pro Plus devices

Raphaz

Can I use two Pro Plus units at the same time, one as a music server/DAC connected to an old receiver, and the other as a transmitter/ADC from the old receiver to WiFi enabled speakers? What happens in the Wiim app when you have two Pro Plus devices both doing different things at the same time? And what about the remotes?

No what? Yes what?
Reading what where? I couldn’t find that particular information. That’s why I ended up asking the forum. Maybe you can point me to it?

Yes, WiiM devices and their associated remotes are independent unless you link them.

I have four WiiM devices showing in my Devices page in my app and they operate independently with no knowledge of the others until I expressly group them. And since the remotes are Bluetooth paired to a specific WiiM, they similarly don’t interact.

Yes, WiiM devices and their associated remotes are independent unless you link them.

I have four WiiM devices showing in my Devices page in my app and they operate independently with no knowledge of the others until I expressly group them. And since the remotes are Bluetooth paired to a specific WiiM, they similarly don’t interact.
You deleted my comment.

I posted what I did because no matter what you post in reply someone asking such a question has to to understand the technology before they comprehend a reply even if it’s 100% correct.

Are you saying I CAN use two Pro Plus devices at the same time and have them do differing tasks (one WiFi streaming and DAC to the old receiver, the other WiFi transmitting and ADC from the old receiver to wireless speakers)?
You deleted my comment.

I posted what I did because no matter what you post in reply someone asking such a question has to to understand the technology before they comprehend a reply even if it’s 100% correct.

You deleted my comment.

I deleted your comment? If so, I'm sorry – I didn't even know I can do that.
I don't know what I don't know. This is me trying to educate myself, and therefore asking questions about a specific device in a therefore dedicated forum. What then is it that you think I need to understand before I'm allowed to ask questions and can expect help/answers here?

Are you saying I CAN use two Pro Plus devices at the same time and have them do differing tasks (one WiFi streaming and DAC to the old receiver, the other WiFi transmitting and ADC from the old receiver to wireless speakers)?
Whom are you talking to? ;)

Yes, you can, as has been said above. There's no magical connection between the two devices unless you decide to link them (which doesn't make sense in your case).

I deleted your comment? If so, I'm sorry – I didn't even know I can do that.
He didn't talk to you. ;)

What wireless protocol are you desiring to use to send music from a WiiM to wireless speakers? If you are desiring to play a single music source through speakers connected to your old receiver and to your wireless speakers at the same time you might be able to accomplish this with a single WiiM.

You deleted my comment.

Indeed. I don’t find abrupt “do some more reading” type responses at all friendly nor helpful. And if they don’t understand the answer, they can ask for clarification.

Last edited:
Note that the wireless speakers you wish to transmit to from the second WiiM must be compatible e.g support airplay or similar. What models are they?

Indeed. I don’t find abrupt “do some more reading” type responses at all friendly nor helpful.
I apologise but I have to say the WiiM user base is a crazy mixture of complete digital audio novices and snake oil audiophiles who think they know and can measure everything.
Working out which is which isn’t easy.

Because of the former perhaps WiiM should create some guides to digital audio streaming that you as moderator could reference where necessary.

All good. No harm done. I’m grateful for anyone taking the time to read and sharing their wisdom here.

Sounds like what I’m trying to do is doable. That’s good news.

To answer some of the above:
planning to connect the speakers via WiFi - currently testing the LSXs but may swap them for something else, so the protocol is still open, may be AirPlay 2? Not sure yet.

I am having trouble determining how you are going to do this elegantly. The best I could come up with is:

Source into WiiM1, WiiM1 into Old Receiver using (Analog) Line Out on WiiM1. Tape Out(?) on Old Receiver to the Line In on WiiM2. WiiM2 AirPlay, Bluetooth, or Chromecast output to LSX. You could also possibly run a pair of RCA Y splitters on the Line Out of WiiM1 to feed Old Receiver and WiiM2.

I am having trouble determining how you are going to do this elegantly. The best I could come up with is:

Source into WiiM1, WiiM1 into Old Receiver using (Analog) Line Out on WiiM1. Tape Out(?) on Old Receiver to the Line In on WiiM2. WiiM2 AirPlay, Bluetooth, or Chromecast output to LSX. You could also possibly run a pair of RCA Y splitters on the Line Out of WiiM1 to feed Old Receiver and WiiM2.
That’s kind of what I was thinking

Can I use two Pro Plus units at the same time, one as a music server/DAC connected to an old receiver, and the other as a transmitter/ADC from the old receiver to WiFi enabled speakers? What happens in the Wiim app when you have two Pro Plus devices both doing different things at the same time? And what about the remotes?
Do you want to play the same music on two WiiM at the same time in different rooms using one receiver? I still don't understand what you want to do, but do you find these diagrams that I posted earlier helpful?

First of all, it would be nice if you could post the model names of all the devices you have here and explain what you want to do a little more clearly. 🙂

And I'm still confused...

Assume Wiim 1 is playing something to the receiver.
If Wiim 2's source is set to line in (the receiver), how can that be independent?
Surely the receiver can only output to Wiim 2 what is coming in from Wiim 1?

Edit: @Wiimer's post came in while I was typing!
Great minds think alike.... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The first solution is what sounds about right. Since I want as much as possible of the sound signature of the old receiver and play all sources through it (not just streaming but also CD, phono, tuner…) and since the split Y out of the Wiim 1 would bypass the receiver, that solution is less desirable to me.

The first solution is what sounds about right. Since I want as much as possible of the sound signature of the old receiver and play all sources through it (not just streaming but also CD, phono, tuner…) and since the split Y out of the Wiim 1 would bypass the receiver, that solution is less desirable to meI think you'll
OK, so if streaming via wiim 1 into receiver then receiver out into wiim 2 means that the wiims are not in a wiim group.
I might expect that wiim 2 would be out of sync with wiim 1.
CD etc out of receiver to wiim 2 might also be out of sync with the receiver.

Basically, as the wiim 2 will digitise the incoming analog signal it may well cause enough of a delay that your two sets of speakers won't be in sync this way, even before adding another potential delay due to bluetooth / airplay casting out of wiim 2 to speakers.

Last edited:
Yes. The delay is what I am afraid of now. And I wonder how bad it is.
I guess I’ll find out.

I heard the Wiims offer delay correction but I’m guessing that’s just adding delay to the Wiim devices, and if anything, the speakers that are wired directly to the receiver and don’t require digital/analog conversion may be the ones needing delay added (as they are probably more immediate) - just like you pointed out.

Hmmm… whatever I try…

I didn’t expect it to be so complicated!
All I wanted was to reduce footprint, and play a main set of wired speakers at the same time as a set of wireless secondary speakers further away in the same large space. And I wanted to keep using my old receiver ‘cause I like its sound signature (and looks).
Crazy ideas, too much asked it seems. I thought I wouldn’t be the only one wanting to do something like that though.
I was hoping to at least get rid of the speaker wires that run all across the space (for the secondary speakers).

Maybe I should either stick with my current setup, with all speakers wired to my two vintage receivers, plus one Wiim as music services source and DAC - wires seem unavoidable anyway.
Or I try to find a good sounding newer receiver with built-in WiFi transmitter and go all WiFi - if that’s easier and the sound decent enough.

Also, at some point I may want to stop researching, posting all kinds of questions in different forums and waste peoples (and my) time.

Someone asked for a gear list:

Main:
Yamaha R-2000
2 x KEF Q500
Klipsch 12” sub

Secondary:
Nikko 1219
6 x Minimus 7
Speaker switch box

Sources:
Wiim Pro Plus
Technics TT
Denon CD
Plus, every once in a while::
Nakamichi Tape
Sony Mini Disc

Recently acquired:
2 x KEF LSX
A second Wiim Pro Plus
A set of Audioengine W3 receiver/transmitter

Also avail:
iPhone
2 x MacBook Pro

The TV has its own sound bar - no extra audio need there.

You seem in effect to have three sets of speakers - the KEF Q500 attached to your main system; the Minimus 7s attached to the Nikko (I take this is the 'old receiver'; and the wireless KEF LSX speakers. Which do you want to be playing the same audio at the same time?

For example, I could envisage your sources feeding the first WiiM Pro Plus (WiiM 1) with that connected to your Yamaha and the Q500s, grouped wirelessly in a Linkplay group with the second WiiM Pro Plus (WiiM 2) which could be feeding (from its line out, say) the Nikko and the Minimus 7s OR (but not at the same time) using Airplay or optical out to play on the LSX's. That could also work in reverse - the Nikko's tape out could be feeding its signal to WiiM 2 which could feed the LSX's, and being grouped with WiiM 1 would allow playback on the Yamaha.

Grouping WiiM 1 and WiiM 2 in a Linkplay group while choosing the appropriate inputs would do away with the need for the W3 receiver/transmitter as well. Think of the grouped WiiMs as just not being streamers but switches where you can choose one of their inputs and one of their outputs.

Last edited:
Back