What are you listening to?

Every new item must pass this one...and a few others. One of the albums in a for me unusual genre I know every single note, I guess 😉
it really does not answer my question.. :oops:
what do you observe thanks to him? thanks to this type of music? the differences if "sensitive" what plays on what? are you testing the sources? the amplifications? the pregnant? but on what points?

But it's true...
Things I see / read / hear make me think of specific songs, and I then often just have to find / listen to them.
This Garbage is good stuff!
(I have a number of their albums, and phrase toned down as swearing would be frowned upon).

it really does not answer my question.. :oops:
what do you observe thanks to him? thanks to this type of music? the differences if "sensitive" what plays on what? are you testing the sources? the amplifications? the pregnant? but on what points?
- Have my experience or listening history with certain (many) records.
- Listen to it quite often.
- Know, how it should sound.
- Know, how it can sound.
- Know, f.e. where instruments, in this case the more or less electronically made sounds, or voices should stay.
- For this special record it is a "channel separation" thing. Decent stereo lets the music "flow" around. Bad stereo shows ping-pong effects.
- Feels good or not.
- On CD or Vinyl, streaming is for background or having a first impression only.
- Build me an overall picture.

It is my way to decide. No measurements. Only feeling. As Miles Davis said: "Listen!"

Last edited by a moderator:
From the new album of Icelandic singer-songwriter Laufey. Release Sep 8.

Screenshot_2023-08-22-14-29-16-343_com.amazon.mp3-edit.jpg

A soothing beautiful voice full of kindness and tolerance.

Screenshot_2023-08-22-14-29-45-581_com.amazon.mp3-edit.jpg

Bossa, Jazz, Piano, Guitar, Pop

- Have my experience or listening history with certain (many) records.
- Listen to it quite often.
- Know, how it should sound.
- Know, how it can sound.
- Know, f.e. where instruments, in this case the more or less electronically made sounds, or voices should stay.
- For this special record it is a "channel separation" thing. Decent stereo lets the music "flow" around. Bad stereo shows ping-pong effects.
- Feels good or not.
- On CD or Vinyl, streaming is for background or having a first impression only.
- Build me an overall picture.

It is my way to decide. No measurements. Only feeling. As Miles Davis said: "Listen!"
on vacation, I could not really listen to it, nor notice the characteristics of stereo effects etc.. my reaction was correct in relation to the very electronic and not acoustic aspect.. difficult to observe precisely a verisimilitude aspect, the dynamic microphone, the quality of the timbre and a certain respect for these .... etc
but I will listen to it on my return out of curiosity
;-)
but I can well understand that we "find ourselves" there more or less on this kind of piece...!
(ps you are in hr? jbl altec or tad etc?)

on vacation, I could not really listen to it, nor notice the characteristics of stereo effects etc.. my reaction was correct in relation to the very electronic and not acoustic aspect.. difficult to observe precisely a verisimilitude aspect, the dynamic microphone, the quality of the timbre and a certain respect for these .... etc
but I will listen to it on my return out of curiosity
;-)
All this technical stuff does not touch me.
I like what I hear. Or I do not like what I hear. Believe me or not, answering a "why" question is not my target.
And very freely adapted from Mozart: Gear has to be the obedient daughter of music. 😉

Add to make it more precise. My target is always the best possible (for my budget) reproduction of a record on my turntables. So these meanderings on this special recording are important. Also the dynamic "jumps" on this more or less electronic recording is challenging for the cartridge, the phono pre, the amp and the speakers. So, if looking for any replacement for one of this components it has to pass this and a few more records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete Townsend named the album his "Catcher in the Rye" and "Clockwork Orange". The whole presentation of this gatefold double-LP was somehow state-of-the-art in those times.
Keith Moon's drumming is wild as usual but he presents his Cockney accent very obviously in "Bell Boy" 😉

20230822_100744.jpeg

The answer is probably evident from the posts, but how much of your listening is albums v song mixes/ playlists? Have your listening habits changed with the advent of streaming?

The answer is probably evident from the posts, but how much of your listening is albums v song mixes/ playlists? Have your listening habits changed with the advent of streaming?
Indeed it has changed. I have my for music only dedicated time. I reckon then 75 % is still vinyl and CDs. Streaming is more or less the chance to discover. But for pure convenience it has increased slowly and somehow tiptoeing. And so is zapping 😉 There are even "mixtapes", a thing I could not imagine lets say 2 years ago. Panta rhei...

I've long been a fan of mixtapes since the early seventies, and then bought a lot of albums and CDs. I think I'm almost out of the habit of sitting down and listening to an album from beginning to end, something I know I really should rectify, but I tend to flit from thing to thing these days and seldom just listen to music on its own. Turning off my ipad for a while would certainly help ;)

My wife said once that my iPad is hardwired with me...
So yeah, but the time is available and has to be filled 😉

To end the day. This CD I bought unheard in 1997. The producer Stephen Lipson was reason enough for me. Became one of the records which accompanied me often to dealers and exhibitions over the years for testing new stuff. (And especially for @canard it simply thrills me 😉)
Try "Frail", starting calm and peaceful with acoustic guitar, a bit later voices and growing up to a somewhat monumental drum with very big toms and leading to "orchestral" dimensions. Still goosebumps.

Screenshot_20230822_201416_USB Audio Player PRO.jpeg

This was the second, if not indeed the first LP I ever bought, for £2 1s 6p back in 1969/70. Listened to it end to end today from Amazon Music, but did miss the little click I had at the start of Baby Driver that was present on the LP ;)

IMG_8121.jpeg

This was the second, if not indeed the first LP I ever bought, for £2 1s 6p back in 1969/70. Listened to it end to end today from Amazon Music, but did miss the little click I had at the start of Baby Driver that was present on the LP ;)

View attachment 2208

Indeed, it is funny how we can remember a pop, a skip or even a track change on a Rush 8-track. :cool:

To start the day with a Diva. Very good album!

By the way because another thread I revitalized a Sony BT LDAC headphone. As an infamous BT blamer it is not easy for me....but have to confess it sounds indeed not so bad at all. Will still be only used for exceptions, because a cable is still my way to go and there is no personal need for mobile music. But, not so bad at all 😉

Screenshot_20230823_063310_Qobuz Bta.jpeg

Back