What are you listening to?

FLAC from my original vinyl copy. One of many compilations licensed by Allen Klein to milk every last drop he could from the Stones back catalogue. This one was released to coincide with the film but has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Side 1 is normal studio recordings and features some of the most popular tracks of the time. Side 2 is live recordings from various sources.

♪ Playing Jumpin’ Jack Flash by The Rolling Stones from Gimme Shelter (1971) (Local • 808kbps VBR 16bit 44.1kHz FLC)

IMG_6348.jpg

In other places of this nature I have often posted about this artist. One of my favourite male vocalists of all time. Lauded by his peers at the time - people like Robert Plant - as one of the absolute best white soul/R&B singers. Although he had quite a long career starting off with an early incarnation of Mott The Hoople followed by a stint as lead vocalist for Alan Bown and then for two albums with a UK band called Bronco he had very little commercial success. This is his first solo album from 1974 which was delayed by a year or so as after leaving Bronco he was persuaded to join Robbie Kreiger and Alan Bearsmore in The Butts Band which they formed post Doors.

Until very recently the only album by Jess Roden that you could find on the streamers was a Best of. This I am pleased to say is the original UK version of his self named debut solo album. (The US version had an extra track from sessions by the Jess Roden Band which does sound out of place if you know).

Listen to this with a nice glass of something and play it back to back.

He’s probably the best male vocalist you’ve never heard of.

IMG_6349.png

@d6jg
Thank you very much. Thought I would never have a chance to listen to this guy, being not aware he is available in streaming. I remember an interview from Robert Plant where he was talking about him. Again, love this thread!
Let me know what you think 😀

You’ve put your name down for an LP12 50 no doubt!
Two 😂😂

I’m afraid at that price it’ll appeal to those with deep pockets who probably don’t listen to music but like to show it off as a symbol of their supposed status :(

One of the first Jazz albums I ever bought. If not the first. I remember seeing it at a local shop called Rumbelows at a knock down price.

Turned out to be on a German label and the SQ is superb.

IMG_6351.jpg

Veto! I loved my more than 20 years old Majik everyday. It was the "entry level" 😉 but I did it even without deep pockets. As the pockets got deeper during the time it went to the dealer every time the Majik ex works was updated, so it was an actual magic all the time. A little tremor forced me to change the turntable, but it went to my son and will hopefully last another 20 years. All in all it was a reasonable invest..
Yeah but the 50th anniversary LP12 is retailing at £50k partly because it’s been breathed upon by Jony Ive, ex Apple chief design officer who has given its top plate rounded corners and a round power button…

B
@d6jg
My early bird album today was your Jess Roden recommendation. Not with a good drink, they was one to much yesterday. But coffee did the job. The voice really is impressive. Tbh, I did not expect such a "complete" voice. For sure he regards more attention. The technique of his singing sounds tremendous. As far as technique can sound, hope you know what I will say. For me it is more soul than R/B. But to hell with this drawers. Very often singers with great knowledge about singing and its technical, educated parts loose authenticity what he did not. But is it possible he learned it not only on stage?
Good stuff! (A not expensive, but nm/vg+ copy is ordered. Shipping from Germany, didn't expect it.
And of course again a huge amount of cross-connections. So less time, even for an old retired 😉
That sounds like you liked it. I am a big fan I have all his released work except for an album by Carol Grimes (English folkie) where he sings backup vocals. Its difficult to find but one day ....

Again something completely different. In Germany this sector of vocal music is named "Kunstlied", what means more or less a simple song, but for performing on stage. Schubert is a great example, so are Mahler and Hugo Wolf. In Great Britain the incomparable Benjamin Britten is one of many composers doing that.
For all those not understanding German: The booklet delivers all necessary information including quite good translations.
One of my favorite lines: Pure joy 😉View attachment 1320
I MUST give it a try 😊

Surely not, he is outside each ranting of mine 😉
But you know my problems with so many modern hyped mainstream small boring playing after scores bass piano horn silent swinging ambient esoteric "jazz" ensembles 😇
😂😂😂😂😂

Again something completely different. In Germany this sector of vocal music is named "Kunstlied", what means more or less a simple song, but for performing on stage. Schubert is a great example, so are Mahler and Hugo Wolf. In Great Britain the incomparable Benjamin Britten is one of many composers doing that.
For all those not understanding German: The booklet delivers all necessary information including quite good translations.
One of my favorite lines: Pure joy 😉View attachment 1320
Listening now. A joy! Great voice! Great suggestion 👏 👏;)

Tonight’s needledrop.

I’ve had this for years but it was an early needledrop to mp3 so redoing to 24/96 FLAC

Brilliant and perhaps the start of a genre - Jazz Funk

IMG_6355.jpeg

@d6jg
Is it a 1050 with a 2M Blue?
Good spot.
Yes. A very underrated deck when it was new. Now goes for 3 times what I paid for it if you can find a new one. I’m considering 2M Bronze but first I’m going to try an AT VM95ML which should be here this week.

Back