What products you'd like to see WiiM produce?

Do you know what a AV pre amplifier is?
I’m sure there are lots of them with lots of differing features, which is why I asked you what features you want that are not in the Ultra. You already listed features you don’t need.

Do you need 7.1 output? Atmos? (I don’t know what that would look like.)

To me, the Ultra is already an AVR. It has two inputs suitable for connecting a TV. But it’s only stereo. Is that why it isn’t an AVR?

I’m sure there are lots of them with lots of differing features, which is why I asked you what features you want that are not in the Ultra. You already listed features you don’t need.

To me, the Ultra is already an AVR. It has two inputs suitable for connecting a TV. But it’s only stereo. Is that why it isn’t an AVR?

The ultra is not a avr. It doesn't support 4k in/out, atmos, HDR, hlg, Dolby hd, DTS hd, regular DD/DTS Atmos .

It's not 5.1 7.1 or more . It's not even 3.1.

It's a stereo device. I think you need to do some research.

My requirements for AV pre would be 16 channel. XLR out for each channel.

The ultra is not a avr. It doesn't support 4k in/out, atmos, HDR, hlg, Dolby hd, DTS hd, regular DD/DTS Atmos .

It's not 5.1 7.1 or more . It's not even 3.1.

It's a stereo device. I think you need to do some research.

My requirements for AV pre would be 16 channel. XLR out for each channel.

That was simple. I started by asking for this information.

I gave up on multi-channel about 10 years ago. I know it’s better now. I never had any source material that was properly mastered for multi-channel.

Would love to see a WiiM produce an AV Preamplifier.

Which would be different to an AV pre-amp + Mini because…?

Seriously, WiiM make streamers. There’s the start of it, then they started making other items with a WiiM streamer built in.

But if you’re talking about a £1,000+ product based on an £80 streamer + extras, I’m not sure that works.

But…

We have AV amps costing as little as £400. Even if the amplification stage costs £200, the pre-amp and processing is only £200.

I could see WiiM doing that.

Seriously, WiiM make streamers. There’s the start of it, then they started making other items with a WiiM streamer built in.

But if you’re talking about a £1,000+ product based on an £80 streamer + extras, I’m not sure that works.

But…

We have AV amps costing as little as £400. Even if the amplification stage costs £200, the pre-amp and processing is only £200.

Video streamers could be next thing? Open source / CoreELEC is a must.

IR control is a requirement, again. RF control is fine, but for multi component control, IR is still needed.

But…

Yes Apple should have stuck with building computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You’re asking wiim to produce AVR which is not many people using them nowadays. Back in a days AVR was hot electronics that every major manufacturers release a new model in yearly basis. People more interested quantity instead of quality. As long it produce sounds is all that matters. There’s only few that are hardcore. If multi channel i is what you like there’s option like denon. Yamaha, onkyo,

You’re asking wiim to produce AVR which is not many people using them nowadays. Back in a days AVR was hot electronics that every major manufacturers release a new model in yearly basis. People more interested quantity instead of quality. As long it produce sounds is all that matters. There’s only few that are hardcore. If multi channel i is what you like there’s option like denon. Yamaha, onkyo,

You could have posted exactly the same message, only replacing ‘AVR’ with ‘stereo’ just before WiiM arrived.

For next Pre-amp product (Ultra evolution) :
- Add another analog out (people asking balanced) so that both a power amp and a headphone amp could be connected while keeping streaming/dac/preamp in one box.
- OR improve headphone options, I'm aware we'll have to wait to see how the headphone amp will perform in the ultra but lots of options (more power, better amplifier, more connections pentacon/balanced xlr..)
- Add hdmi out (ext display)

Will be interested how they will position Pro plus product line. It could get usb out, hdmi out, alu case, screen but at which point does it not make sense and comes to close to Ultra (preamp). The thread shows that for people already owning separates there is a market still for streamer only. But features vs price point vs market share vs other products in the lineup clearly something to define.

A full on integrated streamer/dac/headphone/amp comes up I guess somewhere in the future. Ultra ( headphone, screen) + Amp so all elements present already more or less. Undercut other options on the market with half the price. Add the hdmi out (external display).

Last edited:
AV pre amps are expensive. The cheapest ones are £1500 and they go upto £25,000.

Which is clearly ridiculous. And, you’d think, a hole in the market.

Look at the new Fosi mono power blocks. They’re selling them, in part, with examples for use for surround sound set ups.

Which is clearly ridiculous. And, you’d think, a hole in the market.

Look at the new Fosi mono power blocks. They’re selling them, in part, with examples for use for surround sound set ups.

I agree ridiculous prices. That's why I bought the Tonewinner AT300, at £1050 all in, for 16 channel av pre that's good value. But it's very basic.

Other AV pre Anthem AVM70 at £6300, AVM90 £6000, Marantz AV10 £6000.

Monoblocs in a HT are a bit OTT, as you'll need lots of them. Even though in theory they are a good idea, isolation from other channels etc, myself having fifteen of them is just impracticable

Back