Which NAS works well with WiiM Pro?

It's rather a DLNA service software to be considered, not NAS hardware itself.

At the moment: any NAS which can have a DLNA server running (which is pretty much all of them you can buy today)

In the future, WiiM will implement the SMB file transfer protocol in their app so you can let the app itself do the indexing/searching of files (instead of the whole file tree being built by the server). Again, SMB is supported by pretty much any NAS available today.

I got a Synology DS220+ in september last year and it's been a dream so far. Another big advantage of this particular Synology model is that it has an intel processor, allowing you to run virtual machines in Docker. This turned out to come in handy to run Logitech Media Server.

Just wondered if anybody knows if the Wiim Pro wiil work with the WDMyClould which is a nas device attached to my BT router.... I've installed the Twonky Media Server which is a DLNA media server I think. I don't have my wiim pro yet (expected Friday from Amazon.de - I got fed up waiting for UK stock!). I use the WDMyClould as a backup device and would like to use it to store my music library.

At the moment: any NAS which can have a DLNA server running (which is pretty much all of them you can buy today)

In the future, WiiM will implement the SMB file transfer protocol in their app so you can let the app itself do the indexing/searching of files (instead of the whole file tree being built by the server). Again, SMB is supported by pretty much any NAS available today.

I got a Synology DS220+ in september last year and it's been a dream so far. Another big advantage of this particular Synology model is that it has an intel processor, allowing you to run virtual machines in Docker. This turned out to come in handy to run Logitech Media Server.
Thank you!

Just wondered if anybody knows if the Wiim Pro wiil work with the WDMyClould which is a nas device attached to my BT router.... I've installed the Twonky Media Server which is a DLNA media server I think. I don't have my wiim pro yet (expected Friday from Amazon.de - I got fed up waiting for UK stock!). I use the WDMyClould as a backup device and would like to use it to store my music library.
Yes it would work perfectly!

You can either browse the DLNA server through the WiiM Home app itself OR if you're using Android, there's an app called BubbleUPnP. In BubbleUPnP you can either connect to the DLNA service or just browse the file locations through SMB and then cast to the WiiM through upnp. (I forgot to mention this in my previous response @Bosie 🙂)

Yes it would work perfectly!

You can either browse the DLNA server through the WiiM Home app itself OR if you're using Android, there's an app called BubbleUPnP. In BubbleUPnP you can either connect to the DLNA service or just browse the file locations through SMB and then cast to the WiiM through upnp. (I forgot to mention this in my previous response @Bosie 🙂)
Thank you for the advice. I'll look into the BubbleUPnp suggestion.

Received my wiim pro yesterday. Just wanted to confirm that I can browse all my music files stored on my WDMyCloud NAS drive using 'twonky' via 'my music share' in the Wiim app. Great😊

I word about the forthcoming SMB support. If you have a lot of local music files then I wouldn't expect the SMB route to perform very well if the WiiM has to index everything. TBH I am surprised it is even being considered - seems daft to me. I'd opt for a media server of some description everyday.

I use Logitech Media Server over DLNA and for those that might wonder why, it is to do with the way the music library is presented and the ease of managing a playlist queue. DLNA has always been very limited in this regard.

I word about the forthcoming SMB support. If you have a lot of local music files then I wouldn't expect the SMB route to perform very well if the WiiM has to index everything. TBH I am surprised it is even being considered - seems daft to me. I'd opt for a media server of some description everyday.

I use Logitech Media Server over DLNA and for those that might wonder why, it is to do with the way the music library is presented and the ease of managing a playlist queue. DLNA has always been very limited in this regard.
Yes, I still wonder how this is going to work..

Maybe indexing happens on the phone/application side?

Strongly agree - in this day and age, why anyone would be satisfied with just browsing folders is crazy when there are very capable, reasonably priced (if indeed not free) media servers like LMS, AssetUPNP, Minimserver and even Plex

Strongly agree - in this day and age, why anyone would be satisfied with just browsing folders is crazy when there are very capable, reasonably priced (if indeed not free) media servers like LMS, AssetUPNP, Minimserver and even Plex
Thinking about this further I think it is indicative of WiiM's wish to be "all things to all men". On the one hand we have a push to support Roon because some notable people in the audiophile community think its the bees knees - it must be good because it is expensive!! - and on the other an idea that WiiM should support SMB which isn't a music server at all. There is a danger of failing on both fronts.

Maybe Linkplay has no intention of doing anything besides browsing files/folders on an SMB share. That would be pretty useless. If they index the files/tags, that db would have to be stored on a WiiM - what if you use more than one device as a controller? Sonos limits local SMB libraries (at least on gen 1 Sonos) to 65k tracks because of memory issues. Not to mention Linkplay will have to deal with all the differences in tagging and such, cover art, so on. When Sonos is asked about the shortcomings in their SMB and indexing support, their response is less than 15% of our users access local libraries. So I would expect SMB support to result with about 1 in 5 or 6 WiiM users just bitching.

Makes no sense with LMS, Roon, and UPnP. Other than ticking off a marketing slide checkbox.

As I’ve just replied in another thread, I tend to view the WiiM roadmap as a list of stuff they’ll look into and see if they can implement it rather than committed developments.

On their roadmap, they sensibly have added “Dates and features listed below may change or be removed at any time without any notification.” SMB support might end up not being worth their while.

Received my wiim pro yesterday. Just wanted to confirm that I can browse all my music files stored on my WDMyCloud NAS drive using 'twonky' via 'my music share' in the Wiim app. Great😊
Unfortunately I’ve found my WD MyCloud Home NAS to be incompatible with the WiiM Pro Plus. I tried pretty much everything and even sought professional IT help but couldn’t get the two devices to talk to one another 😔

I have a music library on a Wiim Amp USB drive. Would I be able to access the music folders from a network connected Wiim Pro Plus?

It's available as a source in the WiiM Home app for any WiiM device, but also to third party controllers like BubbleUPnP, Hi-Fi Cast and mconnect.
And even to those build into other makers' hardware products, of course.

Back