Which NAS works well with WiiM Pro?

Unfortunately I’ve found my WD MyCloud Home NAS to be incompatible with the WiiM Pro Plus. I tried pretty much everything and even sought professional IT help but couldn’t get the two devices to talk to one another 😔
You should be able to run a DLNA service on it and then "cast" your music to the WiiM via any UPNP app on your phone.

Just a warning though: the MyCloud Home devices cooling is terrible and its slowly frying the drives.. speaking of personal experience. Mine was idling at 55 deg celcius. Switched to a Synology DS220+ and the drives are chilling at 32 - 33 deg. The software experience is amazing as well and if you have a model which works with Docker, it allows you to setup a Logitech Media Server.

Personally I'm looking forward to the support for Plex :)

Last edited:
You should be able to run a DLNA service on it and then "cast" your music to the WiiM via any UPNP app on your phone.

Just a warning though: the MyCloud Home devices cooling is terrible and its slowly frying the drives.. speaking of personal experience. Mine was idling at 55 deg celcius. Switched to a Synology DS220+ and the drives are chilling at 32 - 33 deg. The software experience is amazing as well, but doesn't really add a lot for the WiiM devices - you'd still have to rely on clunky DLNA at the moment.

That's why I'm looking forward to the support for Plex :)
I'm really not sure about the differences between dnla and upnp, but the synology nas should work really well with the wiim using something like minimserver on it.
Or are you really after plex for more than just music on your nas?

Hello! Which NAS do you have that the app on android sees?

I found the default DLNA service on my Synology NAS. Slow, and poor scanning method. When I've used it, it's just horrid. Compared to LMS it's light years behind. I'd never buy another streamer unless it has softsqueeze support. Fortuantly the Wiims do

I would recommend installing LMS on NAS if possible, then using softsqueeze.

If Wiims didn't have softsqueeze I wouldn't even consider them.

Oh I don't have wiim, I'm still using Squeezeboxes.

I found the default DLNA service on my Synology NAS. Slow, and poor scanning method. When I've used it, it's just horrid. Compared to LMS it's light years behind. I'd never buy another streamer unless it has softsqueeze support. Fortuantly the Wiims do

I would recommend installing LMS on NAS if possible, then using softsqueeze.

If Wiims didn't have softsqueeze I wouldn't even consider them.

Oh I don't have wiim, I'm still using Squeezeboxes.
Wiim devices, mini apart, have a built in Squeezelite client which works exceedingly well with LMS - just ask @d6jg

Wiim devices, mini apart, have a built in Squeezelite client which works exceedingly well with LMS - just ask @d6jg

yes I'm aware of that, currently don't see need to change from SB Touches to Wiims.

But if I did I'd get Wiims, for the SS support.

Generally streamers are the same, it's just a box with digital out, it's mostly the host service which makes or breaks a eco system. What I can do in LMS is far more advanced than the stock DNLA service. Album / Artists , Classical branches, and album/single/compilation/live sub branches off each artist.

I haven’t mentioned LMS because it will only install on a modern NAS via Docker. Yes I believe it to be far better than any UPNP/DLNA server but when people are clearly new to streaming it’s probably a step too far in the first instance.

I keep all my music on a NAS but I use a Pi5 as the LMS server and mount the NAS files via NFS. Easy to do if you know how.

Yeah it's a bit of a extra faff, my NAS was realtek so 8.0.0 only EOL support, couldn't update firmware. Was time to get pi and move LMS over, new features, built in firmware update etc

I'm really not sure about the differences between dnla and upnp, but the synology nas should work really well with the wiim using something like minimserver on it.
Or are you really after plex for more than just music on your nas?
I already use Plex/Plexamp for my music, streaming to a Raspberry Pi.

I totally forgot about Logitech Media Server in my previous comment though. It should work perfectly with the WiiM devices.

Plexamp is great for accessing my NAS - stored music on the road though :)

Oh another reason NOT to use Synology music service, for album art it saves a large file for album art in a hidden sub directory. I think it saves a file for every track in a compilation album too! I managed to clean out the entire album art folders, it was about 30GB, had to SSH/telnet to access all the folders, think they started with $ or something like that.

Plus the constant scanning slows the NAS down. Rather prefer the LMS approach, only search for new files when I select it.

... but when people are clearly new to streaming it’s probably a step too far in the first instance.
Amen.

The Synology media server works just well with WiiM. Surely not the most configurable, efficient or polished one. But it's something everyone gets going easily.

Once you find you have higher needs, stepmup from there, @Jabbawocky .

But LMS is so definitely worth it if you have the inclination and patience to set it up properly.

This is the BBC Sounds LMS plugin playing to a group of player (Downstairs) comprising a Raspberry Pi in one room and a WiiM Pro in another. They are in perfect sync.

The screenshot is Material skin on my iPhone. Arguably the best integration of BBC Sounds that exists.

IMG_7197.png

Amen.

The Synology media server works just well with WiiM. Surely not the most configurable, efficient or polished one. But it's something everyone gets going easily.

Once you find you have higher needs, stepmup from there, @Jabbawocky .

I really wouldn't waste my time with the synology music service. It's slow, hoggy, limited features.
It's transformed from unusable basic UI, where I'd just prefer to switch to another source (CD) to something I like using. Artist information is worth it alone, then you've got album art downloader, seperate all artists branch were the thousands are in there, to the <1000 in album artist. With UPNP, all artists is a complete mess. I have my music library scanned in my Kodo box just for the sake of it, but it's a joke.

Plus you have PC browser and phone control

A-Z listing
Classical Composer branch
Album/Single/Compilation/Vinyl/EP/Live branch using "release" tag
Not forgetting all the plugins from EQ, to the ones I've mentioned, lyric downloader etc.

I really wouldn't waste my time with the synology music service. It's slow, hoggy, limited features.
It's transformed from unusable basic UI, where I'd just prefer to switch to another source (CD) to something I like using. Artist information is worth it alone, then you've got album art downloader, seperate all artists branch were the thousands are in there, to the <1000 in album artist. With UPNP, all artists is a complete mess. I have my music library scanned in my Kodo box just for the sake of it, but it's a joke.

Plus you have PC browser and phone control

A-Z listing
Classical Composer branch
Album/Single/Compilation/Vinyl/EP/Live branch using "release" tag
Not forgetting all the plugins from EQ, to the ones I've mentioned, lyric downloader etc.
I do for almost six years now.

Does what I need. I'm not using any player, just the DLNA server.

I do for almost six years now.

Does what I need. I'm not using any player, just the DLNA server.

Blech, I'd give up a streamer in that case.

If you have a laptop or low power PC try installing LMS and see what you think. You won't be going back to horrid dnla.

Blech, I'd give up a streamer in that case.

If you have a laptop or low power PC try installing LMS and see what you think. You won't be going back to horrid dnla.
Your personal 24/7 support setting up Docker and configuring the LMS container for @Jabbawocky will be invaluable, indeed.

Go ahead.

Tried it many times. Not flexible enough for local media, not as good as native streaming apps and the UPnP integration isn't as robust as BubbleUPnP.
If you want an all in one solution though it's the cheapest way to go.

Tried it many times. Not flexible enough for local media, not as good as native streaming apps and the UPnP integration isn't as robust as BubbleUPnP.
If you want an all in one solution though it's the cheapest way to go.
I think you should qualify that by saying it’s your opinion and your use case. I can’t say for sure by how much but you are certainly in the minority as far as flexibility goes.
As for UPnP, well LMS doesn’t claim integration as a strong point as it is very much an alternative.

I think you should qualify that by saying it’s your opinion and your use case.
Isn't that assumed with every comment on this forum? I certainly assumed it was @rccarguy's opinion when he stated:

As for UPnP, well LMS doesn’t claim integration as a strong point as it is very much an alternative.
Given the vast majority of Hi-Fi components use UPnP as their primary (non-proprietary) local interface, I'd have thought it's quite important.

Isn't that assumed with every comment on this forum? I certainly assumed it was @rccarguy's opinion when he stated:

Given the vast majority of Hi-Fi components use UPnP as their primary (non-proprietary) local interface, I'd have thought it's quite important.
I didn’t see @rccarguy’s comment.

LMS is very flexible so far as local media is concerned if you install some specific plugins that expand the basic capabilities but for most people the standards are fine. I think your extensive tagging and work to modify Minimserver to your requirements could be replicated in LMS but it would take a lot of work. That’s what I mean by your use case.

Bear in mind that as well as local media LMS has wide ranging support for Internet Radio, BBC Sounds, Radio Paradise etc as well as Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer and Pandora. The only service that’s in WHA but not available in LMS is Amazon.

Your point about UPnP being in use in most components is of course true but it is the very fact that hardly any two implementations are the same that makes other totally predicable protocols a viable and attractive alternative. The alternatives include Roon, LMS and Plex - where two of which are fully supported by WiiM and Plex support has been promised.

My view remains that as matters stand UPnP remains virtually unusable on a WiiM with only the WHA as a control point. You need BubbleUPnP or mConnect to do anything more than basic play. Given the vagaries of the UPnP implementations by various device manufacturers I can’t see this situation ever improving.

The WiiM product range is great for use with LMS but I don’t pretend that LMS is necessarily very easy to setup.

If a audio product only uses UPNP, then I won't use that device for audio streaming. For example my TV, AVR, Kodi box, BD player - they support UPNP. I don't use them for audio streaming because UPNP is lousy. I only use my Squeezebox touches and Squeezebox radio. PC as alternative but it's clunky (Foobar) then issue of getting audio from the computer to the device. It's just secondary source, added a BT receiver to the hifi just to get this feature.

Installing LMS on computer isn't difficult. No more difficult than Wiim home app. How complicated you want it, that's up to you. If you want to install EQ plugin, and measure REW response filters and import into LMS plugin, that's for advanced users

I would have thought/hoped that any high end streamer, like Hifi Rose or whatever or the £10,000 ones I saw at hifi show, multi thousand pound device has a dedicated music scanning APK app and service (for different NAS type) No freaking way would I buy a Hifi Rose and still use UPNP

Software support is absolutely 100% requirement.

As it stands only Wiim and Eversolo is viable option.

Back