Which NAS works well with WiiM Pro?

LMS is very flexible so far as local media is concerned if you install some specific plugins that expand the basic capabilities but for most people the standards are fine. I think your extensive tagging and work to modify Minimserver to your requirements could be replicated in LMS but it would take a lot of work. That’s what I mean by your use case.
I have looked briefly at Custom Tag Importer but the documentation isn't great, and I don't think the customisations are tightly integrated into the standard browse tree, but I'm sure that can cover off some of the customisations.

Your point about UPnP being in use in most components is of course true but it is the very fact that hardly any two implementations are the same that makes other totally predicable protocols a viable and attractive alternative.
So attractive, that in the 23 years since its inception we now have one manufacturer that has chosen to support Squeezelite :)
On a serious note though, a modern open standard is well overdue, but unlikely.

My view remains that as matters stand UPnP remains virtually unusable on a WiiM with only the WHA as a control point. You need BubbleUPnP or mConnect to do anything more than basic play. Given the vagaries of the UPnP implementations by various device manufacturers I can’t see this situation ever improving.
The WiiM's are first and foremost streaming endpoints, so to get the best user experience you're always going to have to use third-party apps, but I don't think that's any different from any other system really, and I think it's only going to get worse with companies keen to own the interface (advertising space)/data.

I do appreciate LMS but its sprawling nature makes it feel/look very fragile.

If a audio product only uses UPNP, then I won't use that device for audio streaming. For example my TV, AVR, Kodi box, BD player - they support UPNP. I don't use them for audio streaming because UPNP is lousy.
And it's your prerogative to feel that way. You're not right, but whatever helps you get through the day.

I would have thought/hoped that any high end streamer, like Hifi Rose or whatever or the £10,000 ones I saw at hifi show, multi thousand pound device has a dedicated music scanning APK app and service (for different NAS type) No freaking way would I buy a Hifi Rose and still use UPNP
Whilst I think most of the high end manufacturers do have server components (to fill in the product line) I think anyone with all but the most basic indexing requirements use UPnP servers, supported by the manufacturers control points e.g. Linn, Naim e.t.c. MinimServer even comes preinstalled with Melco.

Back