WiiM Amp Firmware v5.0.630342 Update - Sep 24, 2024

WiiM Team

Administrator
Staff member
Please review the WiiM Amp update release notes below. If you encounter any issues, feel free to reach out to us.

5.0.630342 (In Progress)

Release date:
9 / 24 / 2024

What's New:
  1. USB Output (S24_3LE): Added support for S24_3LE audio format output via USB.
  2. Plex Support (Beta): Integrated Plex for direct music access and playback in the WiiM Home app (iOS 2.11.6 required; Android support coming soon).
  3. Playback Enhancements:
    • Fixed occasional no sound issues with Alexa Multi-room and Bluetooth Input.
    • Corrected metadata for custom radio stations and reduced cracking noise in some MP3 files.
    • Improved real-time playback after resuming from radio streams.
  4. Advanced Subwoofer Controls (requires app version 2.11.7 or later):
    • Subwoofer Bypass Mode: Allows main speakers to output bass even when the subwoofer is active.
    • Full-Range Subwoofer Audio: Sends full-range audio to the subwoofer without applying a crossover
  5. Graphic EQ Optimization: Reduced CPU usage for improved performance.

Bug Fixes:
  1. USB Index Fix: Fixed missing metadata for certain WAV files and resolved an issue preventing complete music file scans on USB media.
  2. Alarm Time Fix: Corrected rare incorrect alarm issue.
  3. General Enhancements: Various bug fixes and performance improvements.

Last edited:
I might like this. I have a subwoofer behind the couch, on the left side against the wall. When I have the crossover set to 80 I can hear the direction from which the stronger upper bass hit comes from. If I let the speakers play their full range, there may be a chance that the bass will fill the room better, and that its source will not be unidirectional

I might like this. I have a subwoofer behind the couch, on the left side against the wall. When I have the crossover set to 80 I can hear the direction from which the stronger upper bass hit comes from. If I let the speakers play their full range, there may be a chance that the bass will fill the room better, and that its source will not be unidirectional
I understand, but why not use a lower crossover to get rid of this issue?

I would not go lover than 70, and even with 70 you can hear the kick. There are many tracks / movies with bass above 60 Hz, where my speakers do not handle it as well as I would like to.

Theory says "below about 80Hz the sound is no longer directional", but I don't agree with this statement. Maybe this is the case when the subwoofer is in line with the speakers, but not when it is reasonably close to the listener, definitely to the left or right of the listener.

Let's see if it sounds better

In Subwoofer Bypass mode does the the high pass filter still work on the main speakers? If it did you could use the Sub lpf at a different frequency from the high pass.

In Subwoofer Bypass mode does the the high pass filter still work on the main speakers? If it did you could use the Sub lpf at a different frequency from the high pass.
I have not tried this yet, but yes, I believe so. Thus, there is a separate switch for the main speakers to output full range.

Hi Slartibartfast,

Two options are now available for the Subwoofer: 1. Subwoofer Bypass Mode 2. Main Speakers Output Bass. Please review the output frequency settings for both the Subwoofer and Main Speakers:

Subwoofer Bypass Mode: On
Main Speakers Output Bass: Off
The subwoofer will output full-range frequency audio, while the main speakers will output audio frequencies above the crossover frequency.

Main Speakers Output Bass: On
Both the subwoofer and main speakers will output full-range frequency audio.

Subwoofer Bypass Mode: Off
The subwoofer will output only audio at the crossover frequency, while the main speakers will output full-range frequency audio.

The subwoofer will output only audio at the crossover frequency, and the main speakers will output audio frequencies above the crossover frequency.

There are many tracks / movies with bass above 60 Hz, where my speakers do not handle it as well as I would like to.
If you speakers cannot handle this bass ...
If I let the speakers play their full range, there may be a chance that the bass will fill the room better, and that its source will not be unidirectional
... then letting them play full range won't improve the situation.

You could increase the sub out to a somewhat higher then normal level and then use a shelf EQ (or RC) to reduce the overall level again. That way the main speakers would only partly support the subwoofer. But this it a bit tricky to dial in.

The biggest advantage of high pass filtering the main speakers is to reduce the thermal load and distortion, in particular IMD in the case of typical 2-way speakers. With Main Speakers output Bass: On this is no longer the case, of course. Depending on actual speakers, room size, desired listening level running the mains full range might turn out advantageous at times. In most cases I don't think it does.

Hi Slartibartfast,

Two options are now available for the Subwoofer: 1. Subwoofer Bypass Mode 2. Main Speakers Output Bass. Please review the output frequency settings for both the Subwoofer and Main Speakers:

The subwoofer will output full-range frequency audio, while the main speakers will output audio frequencies above the crossover frequency.

Both the subwoofer and main speakers will output full-range frequency audio.

The subwoofer will output only audio at the crossover frequency, while the main speakers will output full-range frequency audio.

The subwoofer will output only audio at the crossover frequency, and the main speakers will output audio frequencies above the crossover frequency.
👍 #3

Back