WiiM Amp Pro - user evaluation

adias

Major Contributor
A WiiM Amp Pro arrived for evaluation today.

The well done package which includes the unit, remote control, 120V US plug/cord, toslink, line RCA pair, and HDMI cables and a brief User Manual.

IMG_0036.JPG

Configuration is the usual WiiM app-driven process - plug the unit to power, open the WiiM open app and add the device. Very straightforward, especially if the app already manages other WiiM devices. During that process the app also did a firmware update.

IMG_0037.JPG

Connect the Amp Pro to a pair of speakers and music plays. My evaluation focus is on using the Amp Pro as a streamer/amp connected to a pair of passive speakers used as a self-contained compact audio system. This can be used in a variety of environments, including office, small room, garage, etc. Compact and remotely controlled.

I am evaluating its performance with two 'book-end’ types of speakers - a high end 6 Ohm Magneplanar on one end, and on the other a fairly compact Neumi BS5 (6 Ohm, 2-way, 5” woofer, 1” tweeter) sold at Amazon for the incredibly low price of US$110. The main focus of the evaluation is using the Neumi pair. I connected the Amp Pro to the Magneplanar first and it behaved well, but bear in mind Magneplanars prefer high current high power speakers, so this is not the ideal load for the Amp Pro. The unit matched well with the Neumi BS5 and I am sure it will match well with a variety of speakers such as Klipsch (high efficiency), Elac, PSB, etc.

The Neumi BS5 is an 86dB efficient speaker, but even so the Amp Pro did not have any issue to drive it to a good distortion-free 80dB SPL in a fairly large room.

IMG_0044.jpeg

I used a variety of wide frequency range tracks, classical mostly, to check imaging, dynamic range and speed. I tend to concentrate on piano tracks, large symphony orchestras and small jazz and close-mic voices. Here are a couple of examples:

IMG_0038.jpegIMG_0046.jpeg

The Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2 is good to appreciate the delicate passages of the slow movement against the wide ranging forces of the orchestra. Here is a live in-room acoustic spectral analysis of that piece, where we can see a fairly smooth frequency range with the desirable in-room slope (no EQ, no Room Correction) at a peak 77.6dB SPL:

IMG_0040.PNG

The piano image is solid and well separated from the orchestra. The orchestra image field is wide and stable.

The Jennifer Warnes recording is excellent to showcase closed-mic female voice and bass. Bass is quite good in-room for this combo (Amp Pro/Neumi BS5). Another track on the same recording - Lights of Lousianne - is very good to evaluate high frequency extension and detail. The Amp Pro performed very well there too.

I played a bit with EQ and Room Correction. All worked well. I am not a fan of electronic signal intervention and typically prefer natural acoustics - assuming the boundary interactions are taken care of and the speakers are well balanced, which is the case here.

The unit operational temperature is 103F in my 78F ambient temperature room:

Untitled.jpg

I will continue to evaluate this system and will report here, should I note something worth mentioning.

Note: Adding the Amp Pro to the WiiM Home App requires setting streaming accounts’ credentials and re-entering Presets/favorites as currently these items are set per device. I hope WiiM will work on an option to make those settings common to all devices managed by the app.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi adias,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your suggestion to offer an option for applying settings across all devices managed by the app. This feature is already on our to-do list, and we aim to release it in early Nov., 24.

as will it seem often connected to a television.... what about latency?
;-)

Have not tried it but it should not be an issue. That capability was already available on WiiM Pro and I used it to connect a TV panel via toslink to it and coax out to an external dac — no issues.

Last edited:
A WiiM Amp Pro arrived for evaluation today.

The well done package which includes the unit, remote control, 120V US plug/cord, toslink, line RCA pair, and HDMI cables and a brief User Manual.

View attachment 12251

Configuration is the usual WiiM app-driven process - plug the unit to power, open the WiiM open app and add the device. Very straightforward, especially if the app already manages other WiiM devices. During that process the app also did a firmware update.

View attachment 12253

Connect the Amp Pro to a pair of speakers and music plays. My evaluation focus is on using the Amp Pro as a streamer/amp connected to a pair of passive speakers used as a self-contained compact audio system. This can be used in a variety of environments, including office, small room, garage, etc. Compact and remotely controlled.

I am evaluating its performance with two 'book-end’ types of speakers - a high end 6 Ohm Magneplanar on one end, and on the other a fairly compact Neumi BS5 (8 Ohm, 2-way, 5” woofer, 1” tweeter) sold at Amazon for the incredibly low price of US$110. The main focus of the evaluation is using the Neumi pair. I connected the Amp Pro to the Magneplanar first and it behaved well, but bear in mind Magneplanars prefer high current high power speakers, so this is not the ideal load for the Amp Pro. The unit matched well with the Neumi BS5 and I am sure it will match well with a variety of speakers such as Klipsch (high efficiency), Elac, PSB, etc.

The Neumi BS5 is an 86dB efficient speaker, but even so the Amp Pro did not have any issue to drive it to a good distortion-free 80dB SPL in a fairly large room.

View attachment 12254

I used a variety of wide frequency range tracks, classical mostly, to check imaging, dynamic range and speed. I tend to concentrate on piano tracks, large symphony orchestras and small jazz and close-mic voices. Here are a couple of examples:

View attachment 12255View attachment 12256

The Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2 is good to appreciate the delicate passages of the slow movement against the wide ranging forces of the orchestra. Here is a live in-room acoustic spectral analysis of that piece, where we can see a fairly smooth frequency range with the desirable in-room slope (no EQ, no Room Correction) at a peak 77.6dB SPL:

View attachment 12257

The piano image is solid and well separated from the orchestra. The orchestra image field is wide and stable.

The Jennifer Warnes recording is excellent to showcase closed-mic female voice and bass. Bass is quite good in-room for this combo (Amp Pro/Neumi BS5). Another track on the same recording - Lights of Lousianne - is very good to evaluate high frequency extension and detail. The Amp Pro performed very well there too.

I played a bit with EQ and Room Correction. All worked well. I am not a fan of electronic signal intervention and typically prefer natural acoustics - assuming the boundary interactions are taken care of and the speakers are well balanced, which is the case here.

The unit operational temperature is 103F in my 78F ambient temperature room:

View attachment 12259

I will continue to evaluate this system and will report here, should I note something worth mentioning.

Note: Adding the Amp Pro to the WiiM Home App requires setting streaming accounts’ credentials and re-entering Presets/favorites as currently these items are set per device. I hope WiiM will work on an option to make those settings common to all devices managed by the app.

Re: Operating temperature. Is the USB connection on the back a two-way? If so, and a user is not using it for actual data transmission, I think one of those old-school, USB-powered tiny fans would dissipate the ambient heat pretty easily. They're available on Amazon and aliexpress for less than 5 bucks last I looked.

Nothing wrong with the operating temperature. No need for a fan. The 103F operating temp was doing a long period with the amp playing quite loud. Idling temperature is a cool 89F.

Last edited:
buy a device of this type, not designed to be hidden, to stick a small external fan on it..where will we go?
the situation we encounter with the latest fosi is quite terrible... and worse seems accepted...:rolleyes:

the precaution of sticking to 60w and efforts on the dissipation side of wiim seems well-timed...
;-)
( even if more complicated, i have just crossed the impedance measurements of your little speakers used..seems to be a good fit for this kind of situation and will not highlight any possible complications with this kind of approach ..even without pffb it could have worked I think... ;-) )

Attachments

• Neumi BS5_FR_vs_Impedance_2.83v.png
    Neumi BS5_FR_vs_Impedance_2.83v.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back