WiiM Ultra HDMI Input - Can a player with HDMI Out be connected directly?

pjorgenunes

Hi,

I have a DENON DVD-3910 Player that I only use for audio (universal player) and I can set the HDMI output to PCM-2 channel.

Can I connect the HDMI output of my Denon player to the HDMI IN of WiiM Ultra and get the sound via Ultra <-> power AMP, since the output of the player is not HDMI ARC?

I assume my complete ignorance on this matter, and done some web searching and I did not become certain of it. I could just connect the player and test it but I'm not sure if this could arm my Ultra (and I assume some laisiness since my player is now not in use and I have to go get it)...

Thanks in advance.

BR,
Paulo

WiiM Ultra supports HDMI-ARC (not the full HDMI specification nor the full Audio capabilities), so the answer is NO.
HDMI-ARC is a special subset of the HDMI Spec which uses two discrete wires of the cable not used for standard Audio-Video transport.

WiiM Ultra supports HDMI-ARC (not the full HDMI specification nor the full Audio capabilities), so the answer is NO.
HDMI-ARC is a special subset of the HDMI Spec which uses two discrete wires of the cable not used for standard Audio-Video transport.
Thank you. So I will just have to stick with my current BR/DVD player (a Sony BR player) connected to the TV and use my TV HDMI ARC to the Ultra...

1- It would be great if the TV could send HDMI ARC back even if it is in standby mode...
2- Really never tried it, but does an HDMI ARC output send the TV audio (regardless of it is HDMI input or not) to the HDMI ARC?

- That way I could use the Optical OUT of my DENON :). If 2 condition is no met, I can use the Ultra optical in output since it's the one I use to connect my TV to Ultra...

Thank you. So I will just have to stick with my current BR/DVD player (a Sony BR player) connected to the TV and use my TV HDMI ARC to the Ultra...

1- It would be great if the TV could send HDMI ARC back even if it is in standby mode...
2- Really never tried it, but does an HDMI ARC output send the TV audio (regardless of it is HDMI input or not) to the HDMI ARC?

- That way I could use the Optical OUT of my DENON :). If 2 condition is no met, I can use the Ultra optical in output since it's the one I use to connect my TV to Ultra...
All of the above will be dependent upon your Make/Model of TV, and probably even some of the setup choices that you make.
Overall, far too many aspects of the HDMI Standard are left to Manufacturer Interpretation and Implementation.

If your TV has and HDMI ARC port and it is activated in the TVs settings (which might be hidden behind a number of strange proprietary names), then any TV sound (no matter what the source is) will be outputted, indeed. This is the basic ideal of HDMI ARC. Sending audio and video to the TV through an HDMI cable just to send it back to the same source using two different wires on the same cable would be really pointless. :)

Finding the right settings can be a struggle.

Back