WiiM Ultra with Integrated Amp

stalefish_43

Forgive me for this question as I’m still somewhat a newbie to the world of hifi. I currently have a Yamaha AS501 paired with a turntable and a WiiM Pro for streaming. I mainly listen to vinyl but the rest of the family prefer using the WiiM. I recently picked up a WiiM Ultra as the phono preamp plus better DAC sounded intriguing. My question is as my Yamaha is an integrated, it has a built in DAC (Texas Instruments PCM5101). If I’m running the WiiM Ultra through the analogue input (line 1) of my Yamaha, am I bypassing the internal DAC and hearing the DAC from the WiiM or am I negating the improved DAC in the WiiM and hearing the Yamaha? The AS501 has no option to use it strictly as a power amplifier.

If you're using analogue out on the Ultra, into the Yamaha analogue input then you're using the DAC in the Wiim
If you're using digital out on the Ultra, into the Yamaha digital input then you're using the DAC in the Yamaha

At least on paper the Ultra's DAC is miles ahead of the aging PCM5101 in the Yamaha. You can still try out for yourself, of course.

If you're using analogue out on the Ultra, into the Yamaha analogue input then you're using the DAC in the Wiim
If you're using digital out on the Ultra, into the Yamaha digital input then you're using the DAC in the Yamaha
Thank you for clearing that up!

Forgive me for this question as I’m still somewhat a newbie to the world of hifi. I currently have a Yamaha AS501 paired with a turntable and a WiiM Pro for streaming. I mainly listen to vinyl but the rest of the family prefer using the WiiM. I recently picked up a WiiM Ultra as the phono preamp plus better DAC sounded intriguing. My question is as my Yamaha is an integrated, it has a built in DAC (Texas Instruments PCM5101). If I’m running the WiiM Ultra through the analogue input (line 1) of my Yamaha, am I bypassing the internal DAC and hearing the DAC from the WiiM or am I negating the improved DAC in the WiiM and hearing the Yamaha? The AS501 has no option to use it strictly as a power amplifier.
I have an Ultra and A-S501 too, just a bit of advice / experience. You won't be able to use the sub correction in the room correction settings for the Ultra, you'll either need to manually set it up attached to the sub out on the Yamaha or as I've done, replace the Yamaha with a power amp and use the Ultra as a preamp.

Edit: ignore this advice it's incorrect!!
I'd bought a pair of Fosi V3 mono blocks to replace the A-S501 but realised once I'd got them that I could use the Ultra as a preamp (ie volume control, room correction including sub management) and use the Yamaha as a power amp effectively one with infinitely variable gain.
I returned the Fosi (I actually preferred the sound of the Yamaha) and have a low cost, high performing system. I have long since stopped jumping down the audiophile rabbit holes of spending logarithmically increasing amounts of cash on upgrading hardware, and this setup works perfectly well for me.

Last edited:
Ahh Yamaha AS501 , Was my first beginner amp so this got a little nostalgic too me, enjoy the amp.

Last edited:
Play-Fi is this

Play-Fi is this

Yes, but how does that standard relate to the optical input of the DAC? There's some info missing about the other hardware in use, at least.

Also, the question about different or same optical cable still needs to be answered.

I just received my Ultra and am running it through an analog input in my Yamaha as-801. I find the dac in the WiiM sounds better than the dac in the Yamaha. Should this be the case? The Yamaha has a Sabre ES9010K2M while the Ultra has the ES9038Q2M. Is the Ultra's Sabre dac better than the AS-801s?

I
Is the Ultra's Sabre dac better than the AS-801s?
It’s newer, so ESS presumably think they have made improvements compared to the older version. You can read about the differences on ESS’s website. Whether or not they are responsible for what you perceive to be better sound is debatable. The DAC chip itself isn’t the only part of the circuitry that influences the sound from the digital stream. I understand that the clock parts amongst others matter too.

As @dangermouse said, what you like is all that matters.

If you haven’t already, have a crack at the room correction feature. That is likely to yield an even more noticeable effect.

I just received my Ultra and am running it through an analog input in my Yamaha as-801. I find the dac in the WiiM sounds better than the dac in the Yamaha. Should this be the case? The Yamaha has a Sabre ES9010K2M while the Ultra has the ES9038Q2M. Is the Ultra's Sabre dac better than the AS-801s?
Don’t pay too much attention on which one is newer what matter which one sound better to you and enjoy your music.

Back in the days when wiim working on bit perfect out everyone stick on it. Now with the release of rc majority want rc over bit perfect. It could take rc into the level once independent peq is release.

Back