Wiim Ultra with large powered hard drive

I am impressed with this Ultra, I tested it with a 4TB HD with 60,000 songs, 4600 CDs and everything works perfectly. Fast
I used a 1 tb ssd and it worked but took a few hours to scan initially.
I have a 20 tb powered hd but have a feeling it might take a day to scan.
I guess as long as updates after changes doesn’t take too long I could live with it.

I guess as long as updates after changes doesn’t take too long I could live with it.
mine didn't even take 1 hour, I think it might be the type of HD you're using, I used a USB 4 with 4TB M2.

It’s not the size of the files; it’s the number of files.

719,000 on my main music drive.
Will be interesting to see what browsing and searching performance you get with that size of a collection, and the size of the files.db
I guess all we can ask is that it degrades gracefully.

Out of interest, what are you currently using to serve that collection and on what hardware?

Will be interesting to see what browsing and searching performance you get with that size of a collection, and the size of the files.db
I guess all we can ask is that it degrades gracefully.

Out of interest, what are you currently using to serve that collection and on what hardware?
20 tb hard drive connected to Mac pro and minimserver.
Works fine once it had been left overnight.
I view by folder as system is Artist/Album.
I use BubbleUpnp.
Now when I add or delete albums takes around five mins to update.
Searching is quick by folder using an android tablet.

I use BubbleUpnp.
I do have five backups as that’s my fear that one will obviously fail over time. Carbon Copy is great to backup the drives.

I use BubbleUpnp.

That is a big collection

Do you navigate using the database that should be better than by folder

I use BubbleUpnp.
I use the same server and control point but with a fraction of the collection.

That's a lot of folders to browse through, I thought you might have benefitted from the alphaGroup functionality of MinimServer for Artist indexes.

That is a big collection

Do you navigate using the database that should be better than by folder
Folder. It’s easy to go from A to Z and choose an artist and then an album. I like to see the album folder title as I can see if its one I ripped from my cds or my vinyl or a hd download I bought.

Folder. It’s easy to go from A to Z and choose an artist and then an album. I like to see the album folder title as I can see if its one I ripped from my cds or my vinyl or a hd download I bought.
Though I don’t mind filling my 1 tb SSD and using that for a month say and then changing the files on it. Then I can leave my MAC and Hard drives off. It’s what I do in the car, or with my DAP so why not at home with the Ultra.

A good music database system does that. This is LMS database branch

Tagging will allow you this also, to separate into other ie live , singles , compliations etc. You won't get that by browsing by folder nor will you get it linking to other albums in other directories ie you won't see Madonna tracks from 80's directory album but database layout will.

Plus artist info, lyric download etc

Music search is also instant IE search by song title, artist and again it'll list linking other items including composer, performer, or other band IE if artist has George Harrison and Paul McCartney, it'll show that track when you do George or Paul search. Again you don't get that under folder layout.

Browsing by folder is from the 90's ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240807-211423.png
    Screenshot_20240807-211423.png
    752.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240807-211552.png
    Screenshot_20240807-211552.png
    925.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Though I don’t mind filling my 1 tb SSD and using that for a month say and then changing the files on it. Then I can leave my MAC and Hard drives off. It’s what I do in the car, or with my DAP so why not at home with the Ultra.
Do you know how much RAM MinimServer uses for its database? A Rpi could probably handle it.

Do you know how much RAM MinimServer uses for its database? A Rpi could probably handle it.

Depends on the size..my database is about 16gb that include album art, which is from my collection in the hd and I use lms album cover art download

A good music database system does that. This is LMS database branch

Tagging will allow you this also, to separate into other ie live , singles , compliations etc. You won't get that by browsing by folder nor will you get it linking to other albums in other directories ie you won't see Madonna tracks from 80's directory album but database layout will.

Plus artist info, lyric download etc

Music search is also instant IE search by song title, artist and again it'll list linking other items including composer, performer, or other band IE if artist has George Harrison and Paul McCartney, it'll show that track when you do George or Paul search. Again you don't get that under folder layout.

Browsing by folder is from the 90's ;)
Folders is 2024 for me. I only ever play albums and I kinda know all about the artists.
None of the info you suggests interests me.
I tried Roon once and it was just a waste for me. Horses for courses.

Depends on the size..my database is about 16gb that include album art, which is from my collection in the hd and I use lms album cover art download
I have about 33k tracks and MinimServer uses ~200MB of RAM, but that's with a lot of tags indexed.
During scanning memory increases to 500MB so that's the likely point of failure, although if only a handful of tags are indexed 8GB might be enough.

I couldn't imagine giving up control of the scanning process to a black box like the Amp/WiiM.

Back