Wiim Ultra with large powered hard drive

Just an update. Following recent update now seems to work and additions picked up. But rescan seems to scan the whole drive again so is not the fastest.
I kept an USB key with deleted files to make experiences.
It doesn't work for me with the last firmware.
I have to delet wiim_cache to force the re-scan, and deleted files are always counted during the scan

I have to delet wiim_cache to force the re-scan, and deleted files are always counted during the scan
If you physically deleted the files from the USB drive and you physically deleted the wiim_cache folder (containing files.db) the there is only one place left where the outdated information may be stored: The cache of your WiiM Home App on your phone.

Depending on what your OS offers either delete the app's data or uninstall and then reinstall WiiM Home on your phone.

And keep your fingers crossed that it will work better with upcoming versions.

Last edited:
If you physically deleted the files from the USB drive and you physically deleted the wiim_cache folder (containing files.db) the there is only one place left where the outdated information may be stored: The cache of your WiiM Home App on your phone.

Depending on what your OS offers either delete the app's data or uninstall and then reinstall WiiM Home on your phone.

And keep.your fingers crossed that it will work better with upcoming versions.
Thanks.

I hadn't thought about that.
I'm going to try this.

I assumed it was the Wiim Home App update that fixed the problem not the Ultra firmware.
Certainly deleted folders are now deleted on my usb sdd.

I've only tried it with a small quantity of music but in terms of indexing it did the basics well. I was using it over DLNA with WHA/BubbleUPnP rather than Core, trying to find a simple solution for newbies that would work with the WHA and offered artist image scraping. It can even be run on a phone/tablet, at least on Android.

There's a toggle in the UI to switch to an Album Artist index, but if you also want a track artist index it's a little more work (from memory it's an xml change). I haven't found the time/motivation to try it but I believe the xml configuration offers a lot of customisation.

I've just enabled UPNP media sharing in the Kodi box, so Bubblepnp can see the Kodi server.

Browsing is way slower than the LMS server, ie go into artist or album and it just sits there for about 20 seconds. With LMS it's instant.

I've just enabled UPNP media sharing in the Kodi box, so Bubblepnp can see the Kodi server.

Browsing is way slower than the LMS server, ie go into artist or album and it just sits there for about 20 seconds. With LMS it's instant.
Is that with a massive collection? I guess I could load 30k+ through it and see, not that it's really worth it as it's not a headless installation anyway.

Like I said I was trying to find a newb friendly media server with artist scraping that works with WiHA, which LMS doesn't. I wouldn't use it personally.

Is that with a massive collection? I guess I could load 30k+ through it and see, not that it's really worth it as it's not a headless installation anyway.

Like I said I was trying to find a newb friendly media server with artist scraping that works with WiHA, which LMS doesn't. I wouldn't use it personally.
Yes correct artist branch, 30,000. LMS is instant going into artists, 30,000

Plus doesn't have branches like LMS

Yes correct artist branch, 30,000. LMS is instant going into artists, 30,000

Plus doesn't have branches like LMS
I assume that's track artists? I doubt many people would be browsing that index when a search would be much quicker.

I had it scan mine and loading the albums index, which consisted of about ~1800, was almost instant, given the album artwork is loaded as you scroll, so I'd say it's perfect for the vast majority of users - assuming at most double that.

BubbleUPnP requests 500 items at a time so it can display something to the user before it has all the data, so no idea what happended your end, maybe just the size of the collection.

I did try JellyFin thinking that it should be at least as good as KODI (but headless) but it had all sorts of trouble with multi disc artwork. I think it's just very picky about file layout.

Last edited:
I assumed it was the Wiim Home App update that fixed the problem not the Ultra firmware.
Certainly deleted folders are now deleted on my usb sdd.
I have actually got a bit fed up with the Ultra.
First the USB input rescan didn’t work with additions and deletions.
Then Wiim fixed it, albeit it being awfully slow.
Now after the Ultra update it doesn’t appear to rescan anymore.
I may just return it as it’s somewhat annoying now.

Maybe better just use offboard server. NAS/Pi/PC etc

A full rescan of my 300,000 tracks takes about 8-10 hours, but most of that is the album art downloader/resizer build into LMS. If I disable that it would probably be around 2 hours.

My Kodi box full rescan is slow as well probably a day, not sure I just left the Kodi box running , much much slower than LMS.

Wiim have quad core, so probably fast enough, but the low amount of RAM could be a issue.

Also I have a audio streamer that is much much older than yours, it's basically a box, 99% of the things is UI and server. I could have a Hifi Rose, but if the UI/server is slow/buggy/useless it doesn't matter how great the Rose is.

I'd be happy with a Squeezebox Duet/Wiim pro, those are basically a black box that you don't physically touch. Look at what the Sonos, their latest software has broken it.

A media player scanner is just an additional bonus feature. if it was sold as a music server outright yeah sure, but it's not.

I don't have a Wiim myself.

Oh my SB Touch also has a music scanner/folder scan option with direct USB HDD to the rear, but that is painfully slow also. I tried it to test and determined it's a useless feature due to CPU power on the SB.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem, first the scan didn't work. Then, they fixed it. Now there is another update and it stopped working. I am also fed up with it

I have the exact same problem, first the scan didn't work. Then, they fixed it. Now there is another update and it stopped working. I am also fed up with it

I'd stick with external server service , why get annoyed with a beta service- wait six months and try again. I've been happy with LMS, it's rarely had issues. A couple of revisions suffered slow down, but that was fixed.

Plenty of other scanner services around.

Back