Wiim Ultra with large powered hard drive

You can browse the database, but I can't remember if there's a field that identifies when the track was added.
Doesn’t seem to work very well for me. Ended up deleting the wiim cache and let it think it’s a new usb and rescan from start. Was hoping it would recognise changes and amend accordingly.
That’s not how it should work.

You can browse the database, but I can't remember if there's a field that identifies when the track was added.
It could depend on HOW the files were added as some methods maintain the original file creation date and other methods write new dates.
In computing terms "moving" is not the same as "copying" as regards file creation dates.

I think that’s a little unnecessary.

I can look at my music how I want to, you can do the same, and we can discuss the pros and cons. No need for that sort of language.

No you can't you have to do everything I say. Also I recommend growing a thicker skin
:ROFLMAO:

There is very little pros by browsing by folder - the only benefit is for freshly encoded music where you haven't done a rescan, and want to play it straight away (but since I have folder option in LMS I can do that anyway) A good tagging system should replicate folder structure and provide more positives

Also I can go straight to "Heartbreak Express" album under Dolly Parton I don't need to scroll down several pages, As there is A-Z on the left (for both artists and album branch) , I can just click "H" on the left and it'll zip straight to the first album with "H"

Of course that works for artist branch as well, Click "S" and it zips to "Sade"

\A\"A"Artist\album\track - title

is my ripping/encoding layout by folder which is same as LMS structure. Plus it's faster.

I'll have to check if gapless works by playing by folder

Database/plugins allow this. With folder you have nothing. Plus with folder browsing you don't have image on the artist, nor cover art of that album within that artist branch, you'll only see it once you go into that album directory. I'll check whether it reads in cover.jpg and/or embedded album art, my guess is embedded album art won't be shown, so if most of your music is embedded you'll just have empty image.

Oh you've forgotten to mention issue, seperate drives, folder structure does not work, you'd have two or more seperate listings. Wheras just by database you have one.

In your method Flash Gordon would NOT appear by folder structure, as it's on a seperate drive (on a NAS) and a seperate directory to HD1\music\Artists\Q\Queen as it's under \HD2\music\soundtracks\flash gordon

With filename, you have set number of characters. For some classical this is a problem, I've had to shorten filenames. Again not a problem with tagging, you can have filename litteraly this 1- Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphonie No. 9 d.flac but tag for title will be

Symphonie No. 9 d-Moll, Op. 125: V. Presto - 'O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!' - Allegro assai - Allegro assai vivace. Alla marcia - Andante maestoso - Allegro energico, sempre ben marcato

That long filename could be a problem with certain partition systems, as that file might also be under \Classical\Ludwig van Beethoven directory, so the total file path could be too long

Attachments

• 84402316-ade6-48ab-992b-8782f2a501ee.png
    84402316-ade6-48ab-992b-8782f2a501ee.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot (239).png
    Screenshot (239).png
    565.8 KB · Views: 3
No you can't you have to do everything I say. Also I recommend growing a thicker skin

There is very little pros by browsing by folder - the only benefit is for freshly encoded music where you haven't done a rescan, and want to play it straight away (but since I have folder option in LMS I can do that anyway) A good tagging system should replicate folder structure and provide more positives

Also I can go straight to "Heartbreak Express" album under Dolly Parton I don't need to scroll down several pages, As there is A-Z on the left (for both artists and album branch) , I can just click "H" on the left and it'll zip straight to the first album with "H"

is my ripping/encoding layout by folder which is same as LMS structure. Plus it's faster.

Database/plugins allow this. With folder you have nothing. Plus with folder browsing you don't have image on the artist, nor cover art of that album within that artist branch, you'll only see it once you go into that album directory. I'll check whether it reads in cover.jpg and/or embedded album art, my guess is embedded album art won't be shown, so if most of your music is embedded you'll just have empty image.

Oh you've forgotten to mention issue, seperate drives, folder structure does not work, you'd have two or more seperate listings. Wheras just by database you have one.

In your method Flash Gordon would NOT appear by folder structure, as it's on a seperate drive (on a NAS) and a seperate directory to HD1\music\Artists\Q\Queen as it's under \HD2\music\soundtracks\flash gordon

With filename, you have set number of characters. For some classical this is a problem, I've had to shorten filenames. Again not a problem with tagging, you can have filename litteraly this 1- Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphonie No. 9 d.flac but tag for title will be

Symphonie No. 9 d-Moll, Op. 125: V. Presto - 'O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!' - Allegro assai - Allegro assai vivace. Alla marcia - Andante maestoso - Allegro energico, sempre ben marcato

That long filename could be a problem with certain partition systems, as that file might also be under \Classical\Ludwig van Beethoven directory, so the total file path could be too long
As a keen supporter of LMS I agree but @Steve Woodhouse doesn't so I suggest you both agree to disagree.

When you say “Very little pros…”, I think the very first thing anyone ever needed when they first built digital music collection was to browse it in the same way they did their physical collection.

Now you may or may not be able to do this in other views, depending on all manner of things, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a pro.

Browsing my collection like this is how I look at my music 99% of the time. If it does exactly what I want it do 99% of the time, you can’t say that there are very few pros.

As I’ve said, other views are available pretty much immediately, for the very odd instance I need them.

If something works exactly as it I want it to 99% if the time, and other options are pretty much immediately available the other 1%, I’m really not sure how that can be characterised as having very few pros.

Happy to agree to disagree. I’m not criticising whatever you do at all.

Only one person here who wants to insist someone else is doing it ’wrong’.

A video example demonstrating how quickly you can find and insert a track into current playlist using a database driven media server.
Doing similar utilising the folder structure will take significantly longer. This is where a media server scores.

Attachments

• IMG_7443.mov
    53.6 MB
I have never seen the point in creating playlists, and am a fan of folder view to navigate through my music, where I select an artist, then select an album, and listen to it.

I can't see how it could be any simpler.

It could depend on HOW the files were added as some methods maintain the original file creation date and other methods write new dates.
In computing terms "moving" is not the same as "copying" as regards file creation dates.
I interpreted "having removed and added various albums" to mean that some albums were removed and some albums that have not previously been on the USB were added. If that's the case it shouldn't matter what dates the files have as they're new to MiniDLNA/WiiM.

I can't remember if copy vs sync affects modification dates, but as long as you always transfer the same way it should be fine, even though it may be scanning unnecessary. This assumes you're not one of those people that configures the tagger to persist modification dates.

I interpreted "having removed and added various albums" to mean that some albums were removed and some albums that have not previously been on the USB were added. If that's the case it shouldn't matter what dates the files have as they're new to MiniDLNA/WiiM.

I can't remember if copy vs sync affects modification dates, but as long as you always transfer the same way it should be fine, even though it may be scanning unnecessary.
Do you know how MiniDLNA recognises new/changed files and what action triggers a rescan? Is it only on insertion of the USB? Does the WiiM always know the current correct date/time?
This assumes you're not one of those people that configures the tagger to persist modification dates.
I know some people that swear that this is necessary but I suspect its only the likes of you and me that know why that might be :)

I have never seen the point in creating playlists, and am a fan of folder view to navigate through my music, where I select an artist, then select an album, and listen to it.

I can't see how it could be any simpler.
Actually I am generally an Album person but the playlist in the video was auto-created after I had finished playing an album but hadn't had a chance to choose something else so the server added some similar stuff for me.

Also other things missing with folder method can't display by

Genres
Play a random album
Play a random artist
Classical music by composers or by Orchestra (since your folder will only show one)
By year
Decade
And of course Random mix
Search for a specific song, which then shows other cover versions.

Folder structure is fine for a USB stick with very limited collection, or where the player has no database function.

When you say “Very little pros…”, I think the very first thing anyone ever needed when they first built digital music collection was to browse it in the same way they did their physical collection.

Now you may or may not be able to do this in other views, depending on all manner of things, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a pro.

Browsing my collection like this is how I look at my music 99% of the time. If it does exactly what I want it do 99% of the time, you can’t say that there are very few pros.

As I’ve said, other views are available pretty much immediately, for the very odd instance I need them.

If something works exactly as it I want it to 99% if the time, and other options are pretty much immediately available the other 1%, I’m really not sure how that can be characterised as having very few pros.

Happy to agree to disagree. I’m not criticising whatever you do at all.

Only one person here who wants to insist someone else is doing it ’wrong’.
I only use my library to select tracks for playlists. Folders are the easiest way to find stuff.

Genres
Play a random album
Play a random artist
Classical music by composers or by Orchestra (since your folder will only show one)
By year
Decade
And of course Random mix

Folder structure is fine for a USB stick with very limited collection, or where the player has no database function.
I have Never wanted to display by Any of those choices, that's why folder view remains the best, and only option for me.

This thread is called "Wiim Ultra with large powered hard drive".

Wouldn't it be just fair to leave it to those who plan to do exactly that, attaching a large (potentially powered) mass storage media to the WiiM Ultra, and are consequentially willing to deal with what the integrated media server has to offer? Hint: This includes but is not limited to folder view.

There are more than enough spaces for discussions (just as endless as fruitless) about what is the only real media server, tagging software, general use of technology and what not?

Genres
Play a random album
Play a random artist
By year
Decade
And of course Random mix

Not of those interest some of us.
I search by folder artist and album.
Don’t give a stuff about the others.
Folder view is beautiful in its simplicity.
I only play albums.
Random Anything is anathema to me.
Each to their own.

Not of those interest some of us.
I search by folder artist and album.
Don’t give a stuff about the others.
Folder view is beautiful in its simplicity.
I only play albums.
Random Anything is anathema to me.
Each to their own.
Back to the question though. Usb removed from Ultra. Albums added and albums removed.
Ultra doesn’t pick up changes when usb plugged back unless I delete wiim cache.

Do you know how MiniDLNA recognises new/changed files and what action triggers a rescan? Is it only on insertion of the USB? Does the WiiM always know the current correct date/time?
On a proper system it can use inotify or on demand which has two options, incremental or rebuild.

I don't have an Amp/Ultra but it looks like you need to initiate a scan from the WiiM Home App, which will be a rescan. Removing files.db is the same as a rebuild

I would hope it knows the current date time, but can't confirm that.

Back