Wiim Ultra with large powered hard drive

Did you rescan?
Yes many times. It would still show albums i had deleted but obviously wouldn’t play them.
If you delete wiim cache it thinks ok new usb and does a proper scan. However that’s a chore.
Would expect it to recognise changes but doesn’t appear to do so.

On a proper system it can use inotify or on demand which has two options, incremental or rebuild.

I don't have an Amp/Ultra but it looks like you need to initiate a scan from the WiiM Home App, which will be a rescan. Removing files.db is the same as a rebuild

I would hope it knows the current date time, but can't confirm that.
The rescan doesn’t work. It appears to scan but doesn’t add or subtract changes.
Only deleting wiim cache seems to initiate a full new scan.

On a proper system it can use inotify or on demand which has two options, incremental or rebuild.

I don't have an Amp/Ultra but it looks like you need to initiate a scan from the WiiM Home App, which will be a rescan. Removing files.db is the same as a rebuild

I would hope it knows the current date time, but can't confirm that.
In files.db there appears to be only one single timestamp field in the PLAYLISTS table.

The SETTINGS table contains a key named UPDATE_ID. The value is currently 0 in my 1 TB stick. I will try to add some more files and see if that value actually changes.

Within the wiiim_cache folder there is also a (Linux) hidden (and empty) file .scandone. The system might check its modified date/time but I don't see how that would be helpful.

Yes many times. It would still show albums i had deleted but obviously wouldn’t play them.
If you delete wiim cache it thinks ok new usb and does a proper scan. However that’s a chore.
The date/time question was rhetorical but I do know that SBC such as Pi is prone to issues when it can’t keep time sync.

In files.db there appears to be only one single timestamp field in the PLAYLISTS table.
File modification dates are stored in DETAILS, which must be how it identifies files that have been added/removed/updated.

File modification dates are stored in DETAILS, which must be how it identifies files that have been added/removed/updated.
Sorry, you're correct, there's a TIMESTAMP in DETAILS as well and a DATE column. DATE seems to refer to the YEAR tag and TIMESTAMP appears to equal the modified date taken over from the original file system. Both fields don't look helpful for detecting new, even less deleted files.

The rescan doesn’t work. It appears to scan but doesn’t add or subtract changes.
Only deleting wiim cache seems to initiate a full new scan.
Unfortunately I can now confirm the same behaviour with my WiiM Amp FW 5.0.625359. Features should be very similar to the Ultra. I added one new album containing 10 songs and one new playlist. The rescan took about 8 minutes. The screen was updated to reflect 2000 song steps during the process and everything looked good. However, no new content was found during the rescan.

Ironically, wiim_cache\files.db got a new and current last modified timestamp in the file system. But no new rows in the DETAILS table for the added songs, folder paths, or album were created. No new entry in PLAYLISTS as well. The hidden wiim_cache\.scandone file did not get an updated timestamp.

I power cycled the Amp and tried another rescan. Much faster, no difference.

I manually deleted just the file wiim_cache\.scandone and tried one more rescan. No difference.

New ticket filed through the WiiM Home App (and that's what everybody facing this problem should do).

The same succeed to me. As the usb input is a feature under improvement, it's understandable.

Be carefull, somethimes the deleting of Wiim_cache make errors on the key. And after it's a lot of troubles. I had to make a long format of 512 go. I hope you will not have these kind of trouble.

:ROFLMAO: Database versus folder. Artist photo, years active, with album covers, artist information, showing genres, A-Z album listing on the left

It's just better. Guess some people like horrid music selection experience :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Screenshot (240).png
    Screenshot (240).png
    721.2 KB · Views: 12
:ROFLMAO: Database versus folder. Artist photo, years active, with album covers, artist information, showing genres, A-Z album listing on the left

It's just better. Guess some people like horrid music selection experience :ROFLMAO:
No it’s just some of us have zero interest in superfluous information and just want to play albums.
To me folder view is perfect.
Your horrid is my perfect and your perfect is my… well you get the picture. It’s not a competition.
I just want the updates to usb to work properly.

The same succeed to me. As the usb input is a feature under improvement, it's understandable.

Be carefull, somethimes the deleting of Wiim_cache make errors on the key. And after it's a lot of troubles. I had to make a long format of 512 go. I hope you will not have these kind of trouble.
Well usb output was a new addition I assumed usb input was a finished product.

Didn’t work though did it.
For me it works only the first time.
But I did experiences. When you delet and add new files. The WiM Ultra (the firmware..?), even after deleting wiim_cach, don't see the files deleted. I think the feature of "the scan" is bugged.
Now I have a USB key, wich has been scan only ones by the Ultra (after a slow format)... I will let it without modification until Wiim improves the scan feature.
I send a couple of comments to WiiM and hope they will take it seriously.

Some people don't have troubles with WiiM Amp... But the Ultra don't have the same firmware.

Best regards.

For me it works only the first time.
But I did experiences. When you delet and add new files. The WiM Ultra (the firmware..?), even after deleting wiim_cach, don't see the files deleted. I think the feature of "the scan" is bugged.
Now I have a USB key, wich has been scan only ones by the Ultra (after a slow format)... I will let it without modification until Wiim improves the scan feature.
I send a couple of comments to WiiM and hope they will take it seriously.

Some people don't have troubles with WiiM Amp... But the Ultra don't have the same firmware.

Best regards.
So exactly, it doesn’t work for you either as my point was additions and subtractions of files aren’t picked up.
Some guy had same problem with his Amp as well I believe.
Hopefully it will be fixed.
Regards

Sorry, you're correct, there's a TIMESTAMP in DETAILS as well and a DATE column. DATE seems to refer to the YEAR tag and TIMESTAMP appears to equal the modified date taken over from the original file system. Both fields don't look helpful for detecting new, even less deleted files.
If it's in the filesystem but not in DETAILS then it's new. If it's in DETAILS but not in the filesystem then it's deleted.

I assume you knew that's what I meant, but just in case :)

If it's in the filesystem but not in DETAILS then it's new. If it's in DETAILS but not in the filesystem then it's deleted.

I assume you knew that's what I meant, but just in case :)
Don't overestimate me. ;) When writing that sentence I didn't even think for a second about how it might be done (although I have written code for synchronising data between fundamentally different database systems in the past). I was just stupidly describing what I saw. :LOL: Never mind, I didn't mean to play the dumbhead. It just happened ...

Just to be perfectly clear on this: I have a WiiM Amp and a WiiM Ultra. I'm using USB thumb drives with both.

Initially, there have been some glitches when the Amp got this feature as the first WiiM product. With the beta firmware releases for the Ultra this wasn't even an issue. Just recently with the latest firmware updates for Ultra and Amp (containing the same feature updates) it looks like something broke on both platforms.

Initially, there have been some glitches when the Amp got this feature as the first WiiM product. With the beta firmware releases for the Ultra this wasn't even an issue. Just recently with the latest firmware updates for Ultra and Amp (containing the same feature updates) it looks like something broke on both platforms.
Understood harkpabst... I apologize for my lack of precision. :)

Very interesting reading all of this but it’s got me a bit confused on how to proceed.
I must admit the Wiim Ultra was a bit of an impulse buy, but for the price you can’t go wrong. I guess we should expect a few bumps in that the road before everything is stable.

I’m essentially going to be creating a new library because most of my collection is CD’s and I have some mp3 files and Flac files on a drive somewhere. I’ve got dBpoweramp to rip my collection and planned on attaching a powered hard drive to the WiiM ultra.

Guys here seem to have various setups using other devices in conjunction with this new device. I could look into all these options but I’m new to all this and it’s all a bit confusing. I have a HTPC and other devices that I’m sure could be used for these other methods.

I did however want an all in one solution and had it in mind to connect some book shelf speakers and a powered hard drive to the WiiM ultra.

My fault for not doing my research…. Anyway, I hope using dBpower amp to curate my collection will workout fine when connected to the ultra via usb. I do love a bit of cover art 😀

I have waffled on a bit and I apologise…. I look forward to more additions to this thread regarding attached storage,

On to ripping…..

Guys here seem to have various setups using other devices in conjunction with this new device. I could look into all these options but I’m new to all this and it’s all a bit confusing. I have a HTPC and other devices that I’m sure could be used for these other methods.
If you already have a machine running 24*7 then you're going to have a much better experience using a different media server. If you're happy with the WiiM Home app then MinimServer is the best option, otherwise you could look at Plex or LMS but things do get a little more complex.

I did however want an all in one solution and had it in mind to connect some book shelf speakers and a powered hard drive to the WiiM ultra.
It's just a bug which I'm sure WiiM will fix shortly, and as it's been working on the Amp for some time now I don't think there's anything for you to worry about.

I think there's a thread about active speakers on this forum, but if not and you're looking for advice why not start one.

A video example demonstrating how quickly you can find and insert a track into current playlist using a database driven media server.
Doing similar utilising the folder structure will take significantly longer. This is where a media server scores.

That’s one of the instances I’d switch to another view.

However, usage is vital here.

I’m in a world where I mainly stream (this is a streamer, after all). I generally listen to playlists on the move, so obviously that’s not something I do with attached storage.

Maybe things will change when I start using the Ultra more.

Last edited:
Back