WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
So, the ULTRA obviously needs an amp to be of any use. The Amp Pro can run as an amp and a streamer. Gotcha.

But does the Amp Pro not make the ULTRA a little redundant, unless you really want the screen? Is it in any other way better than the Amp Pro, sonically or in functionality?

Personally I feel like having the two stacked in one setup would look a bit silly, with two volume knobs, where I only need one. Maybe Fosi V3 Mono blocks and the Ultra will be my choice. 🤷🏻‍♂️
A balanced DAC and/or Preamp would go between that, for me.

When I think about what kind of company they are, I can't associate it with pure auaudio.
I understand but a complete solution of WiiM Ultra + Wiim Amp Power would certainly generate more sales - lets wait and see what else is in the pipeline. For now I'm happy to hook up the Ultra with my Audiolab 7000A and they compliment each other visually too.

I understand but a complete solution of WiiM Ultra + Wiim Amp Power would certainly generate more sales - lets wait and see what else is in the pipeline. For now I'm happy to hook up the Ultra with my Audiolab 7000A and they compliment each other visually too.
"ultra"?

Well you gain a screen but the 7000a has the same DAC as the Ultra, so no improvement there.

Well you gain a screen but the 7000a has the same DAC is the Ultra, so no improvement there.
Totally agree, I'm using my Pro Plus just for streaming to the DAC in the 7000A but like the fact the Ultra has a screen. I'm also interested in the Bluetooth and whether it supports aptX plus the sub out may come in handy too.

I can't get into heat with the WiiM amp power, but I don't want to deny it (just can't imagine). I hope your wish comes true.🤗

As an aside, I remember that more than a few people wanted to hide the WiiM mini out of sight. 😂

As an aside, I remember that more than a few people wanted to hide the WiiM mini out of sight. 😂
I'm hiding my Pro Plus too with no lights or controls active but the Ultra will definitely take pride of place next to my Amp and the Pro Plus will be relegated to my HT system and still be hidden 😜👍

So, the ULTRA obviously needs an amp to be of any use. The Amp Pro can run as an amp and a streamer. Gotcha.

But does the Amp Pro not make the ULTRA a little redundant, unless you really want the screen? Is it in any other way better than the Amp Pro, sonically or in functionality?

Personally I feel like having the two stacked in one setup would look a bit silly, with two volume knobs, where I only need one. Maybe Fosi V3 Mono blocks and the Ultra will be my choice. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I suppose the Ultra has a screen, and extra flexibility with ins and outs.

Many were guessing at an external power amp, and dreaming it’d be the standard of something like the Topping PA5 II. How much would we have paid?

Well with the Amp Pro, it looks like we’re getting that for £40.

Will the Ultra be able to crossover the sub output with the main speakers (analog output) like in the Wiim Amp?

According to what I have read. PFFB is a improvement in TI-TPA3255.

I was already happy with the feature set in announced for the Wiim Ultra. The price is even less than expected so it will be a nice Christmas present for me. I should be able to ditch my Pro-ject Phonobox and topping E30II as well simplifying my cabling setup.

I was already happy with the feature set in announced for the Wiim Ultra. The price is even less than expected so it will be a nice Christmas present for me. I should be able to ditch my Pro-ject Phonobox and topping E30II as well simplifying my cabling setup.
Yea lots of wires and power supplies are a pain for me!

Do you think the Sabre ES9038Q2M DAC in the Wiim Ultra is a real improvement over the AKM 4493SEQ DAC present in the Wiim Pro Plus (SINAD -114 db in the Audio Science Review measurements)?
It may be largely a matter of the firmware. For instance, Schiit was forced to look for alternative DAC hardware for some of their products after the AKM factory burnt down. Although I think they weren't fans of Sabre products before that, they discovered -- perhaps to their surprise -- that with the proper firmware, they could deploy products with Sabre chips that were suitable to their standards. They've also implemented some TI chips in some significant products. So I'm curious about how well WiiM have implemented the 9038 and how it compares with some alternatives with which I'm familiar.

Back