WiiM Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated on 5/25/2024

Check out this fuller thread about our official announcement of the WiiM Ultra - https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/meet-wiim-ultra-the-digital-hub-for-your-music.3487/

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I use wired ethernet wherever possible and I am quite happy to explain why it is significantly better than wireless even now"

oh yeah? even an old N router easily handles everything these products do. latency? forget it, not with a streamer. wireless conflict with other routers in the area? no, not at these bandwidths. i lived in apartment block with 40+ sources of signal, never was there any issue with the cheapest of netgear routers. i find it funny that the ultra support the latest wifi standard. for what? it doesnt even need more than 2.4ghz band that also provides the longest range.
the screen is also pointless and anyone pressed on the issue will agree. they are selling gimmicks, not real features.

I’m surprised he’s surprised it’s not based on Android - WiiM devices have been an evolution, building on the previous model(s) and if it had been Android based rather than I believe Tina Linux , WiiM would have been yelling from the rooftops that a potential door to hi res Apple Music support could have been available.

And “moving their iOS device around the room as the Ultra plays two minutes of white noise” for room correction. Really??

Edit: and again a blinkered view of Amazon Music. I know he doesn’t use it but there’s no mention of AlexaCast which is I think still one of WiiM’s USPs. Amazon Music isn’t only delivered via the WiiM Home app.
Sorry but the Amazon app is so bad to use I dont think anyone but a select few on here care or even know AlexaCast exists.

Sorry but the Amazon app is so bad to use I dont think anyone but a select few on here care or even know AlexaCast exists.

That’s utter b*ll*cks.

The Amazon app is great, and the only reason some people prefer Spotify is because they were used to it first.

I realised that’s opinion, but you posted your rant as if it were fact, so I see no reason to differ.

Put another way, please specify what parts of the Amazon app are not to your liking.

That’s utter b*ll*cks.

The Amazon app is great, and the only reason some people prefer Spotify is because they were used to it first.

I realised that’s opinion, but you posted your rant as if it were fact, so I see no reason to differ.

Put another way, please specify what parts of the Amazon app are not to your liking.
I'm with you Steve, I use AM app most of the time. The only thing missing is queueing when casting. I get the occasional glitch but that's probably true of other streaming apps too. As a comparison I have HEOS on my HT setup which also allows me to cast from AM but the native HEOS app is not so great although it has been improved recently.

Alexa Cast and the tight integration with AM was the main reason I bought my WiiM Pro Plus, no other streamer has this based on my research. I'll also be getting an Ultra which will give me multiroom capability.

I'm with you Steve, I use AM app most of the time. The only thing missing is queueing when casting. I get the occasional glitch but that's probably true of other streaming apps too. As a comparison I have HEOS on my HT setup which also allows me to cast from AM but the native HEOS app is not so great although it has been improved recently.
Casting from the Amazon Music app on the back of the Heos skill only supported SD when I had my Heos Link HS2 which I binned when I got my WiiM Mini.

Casting from the Amazon Music app on the back of the Heos skill only supported SD when I had my Heos Link HS2 which I binned when I got my WiiM Mini.
I think it's moved on a bit now. I had a HEOS Link HS2 but had to return it, it refused to update the firmware and never worked. I'm glad I did - the WPP replaced it and the rest is history 😄

I think it's moved on a bit now. I had a HEOS Link HS2 but had to return it, it refused to update the firmware and never worked. I'm glad I did - the WPP replaced it and the rest is history 😄
I think it allowed access to your library and playlists in a firmware update the week after I ditched it but I’m not aware it overcame the SD casting restriction.Even if it did, I’d be surprised if it went beyond HD support.

It’s a bit like the response I gave elsewhere earlier about Apple Music support via Alexa on Wiim devices - it really didn’t surprise me it didn’t given the barriers Amazon/Alexa puts in the way of non-Amazon music services. As I said there, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Heos skill still didn’t support Spotify playback.

the screen is also pointless and anyone pressed on the issue will agree.
I wouldn’t for one. As I’ve said more than once, the small screen on my Linn MDSM is invaluable when I want to know what’s playing, its resolution, volume, input etc. Press away…

I think it allowed access to your library and playlists in a firmware update the week after I ditched it but I’m not aware it overcame the SD casting restriction.Even if it did, I’d be surprised if it went beyond HD support.

It’s a bit like the response I gave elsewhere earlier about Apple Music support via Alexa on Wiim devices - it really didn’t surprise me it didn’t given the barriers Amazon/Alexa puts in the way of non-Amazon music services. As I said there, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Heos skill still didn’t support Spotify playback.
I just checked to see if HEOS reports the quality when casting but it doesn't show anything so it's hard to say if it's been updated, I suspect it's still restricted. Playing directly from the HEOS app from Amazon Music does play Ultra HD tracks at full quality though.

I just checked to see if HEOS reports the quality when casting but it doesn't show anything so it's hard to say if it's been updated, I suspect it's still restricted. Playing directly from the HEOS app from Amazon Music does play Ultra HD tracks at full quality though.
Yeah, it did that and I always thought it sounded much better than my fire tv cube supposedly delivering the same track at full resolution direct to my amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back