WiiM Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated on 5/25/2024

Check out this fuller thread about our official announcement of the WiiM Ultra - https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/meet-wiim-ultra-the-digital-hub-for-your-music.3487/

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon, guys! It had been a while since I participated in the forum. Very happy with all the new features, except the screen, which I don't see much use for. John Darko doesn't mention anything new to us. I also wonder if Link Play will have some kind of detail for us, those of us who have been following the entire evolution of the product. The introductory price seems fine to me, but I wouldn't mind receiving a discount coupon from the @WiiM Team. What do you think? I read them. Greetings to all!

Yes, Cooky. But I am referring more to a customer loyalty plan. I think that someone who has been waiting for the product for months, giving their opinion, giving ideas, participating in forums and most importantly, being a customer from before with other products, is not the same as a person who sees it published on Amazon and clicks and buys.
That's what I think, maybe I'm wrong.

Good afternoon, guys! It had been a while since I participated in the forum. Very happy with all the new features, except the screen, which I don't see much use for. John Darko doesn't mention anything new to us. I also wonder if Link Play will have some kind of detail for us, those of us who have been following the entire evolution of the product. The introductory price seems fine to me, but I wouldn't mind receiving a discount coupon from the @WiiM Team. What do you think? I read them. Greetings to all!
They don’t do discount unless it’s Black Friday.

Yes, Cooky. But I am referring more to a customer loyalty plan. I think that someone who has been waiting for the product for months, giving their opinion, giving ideas, participating in forums and most importantly, being a customer from before with other products, is not the same as a person who sees it published on Amazon and clicks and buys.
That's what I think, maybe I'm wrong.
If the company is offering discounts for that service, sure. Some companies even send free products out to people to encourage the market. However unless WiiM has said to you "Provide feedback for reward" any such scheme is strictly off the table.

WiiM is a great company making disruptor products, if any of our posts help them succeed in achieving this goal, that to me, is reward enough.

nobody uses wired ethernet, wifi routers were good enough to stream music almost 20 years ago!

wiim`s product lines makes little sense to me. they now have 3 products called "pro" "pro plus" and "ultra" where none of them offer balanced ouputs and only 2V. there is nothing pro or ultra about that.
also whats with more digital outputs than inputs? when they brag about the quality of the dac then you should be able to use it as a dac also.
then there is the pro amp using the same output chip!?
whats next, the ultra pro minus?

wiim`s product lines makes little sense to me.
That's a valid personal opinion, of course. It makes sense for other buyers' needs, though. Otherwise there was no interest in this new product and no 87 pages of discussion. So far, WiiM have been quite successful in spotting their unique selling point compared to other "audiophile ChiFi" brands.

nobody uses wired ethernet, wifi routers were good enough to stream music almost 20 years ago!

wiim`s product lines makes little sense to me. they now have 3 products called "pro" "pro plus" and "ultra" where none of them offer balanced ouputs and only 2V. there is nothing pro or ultra about that.
also whats with more digital outputs than inputs? when they brag about the quality of the dac then you should be able to use it as a dac also.
They’re marketing names, nothing more, and I don’t believe there’s an industry standard definition of what each term means or what options they should have. Maybe they should have called them Bob&Carol&Ted&Alice ;)

I think you might find that in many use cases, this simply isn't true.

I use ethernet because I play games, and I find that the variable latency on wireless is not acceptable for this purpose.

One of my music systems is in a room that gets terrible at best wifi, so I sent a cable there, it's now perfect every time.

Wireless is great for some casual tasks, but for many, it's not enough, and likely will never be as things like variable latency are an unavoidable aspect of the technology.

I think you might find that in many use cases, this simply isn't true.

I use ethernet because I play games, and I find that the variable latency on wireless is not acceptable for this purpose.

One of my music systems is in a room that gets terrible at best wifi, so I sent a cable there, it's now perfect every time.

Wireless is great for some casual tasks, but for many, it's not enough, and likely will never be as things like variable latency are an unavoidable aspect of the technology.
WiFi is ok if there’s not many ap on surrounding. If you live in urban in apartment complex WiFi is bad. The interference even on 5ghz is bad let alone 2.4. You run speed test you’re only getting third of speed even you’re close to the router. Back in days 5ghz were clear channel but now that all devices that comes out has 5ghz saturating and congesting the channel. 6ghz will be the next band that will get congested but that will take many years.

nobody uses wired ethernet…

I would argue that your statement, inasmuch as the precise correlation between the information you communicated and the facts, insofar as they can be determined and demonstrated, is such as to cause epistemological problems, of sufficient magnitude as to lay upon the logical and semantic resources of the English language a heavier burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.

Can we just go back to the colour for a second.

On closer inspection, and now that we have more pics, it appears to me that, despite the main casing being the same ‘space grey’ as the WiiM Amp, the front panel appears to be black. I think it looks very nice; it works, well at least for me.

It’s a shame the new Amp Pro hasn’t gone down the same route, as it’d make it the easiest way to identify it from the vanilla Amp.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I would argue that your statement, inasmuch as the precise correlation between the information you communicated and the facts, insofar as they can be determined and demonstrated, is such as to cause epistemological problems, of sufficient magnitude as to lay upon the logical and semantic resources of the English language a heavier burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.
Last time I've read a similar sentence it was in German and written by Thomas Mann. Chapeau! 😉

WiFi is ok if there’s not many ap on surrounding. If you live in urban in apartment complex WiFi is bad. The interference even on 5ghz is bad let alone 2.4. You run speed test you’re only getting third of speed even you’re close to the router. Back in days 5ghz were clear channel but now that all devices that comes out has 5ghz saturating and congesting the channel. 6ghz will be the next band that will get congested but that will take many years.
WiFi is useless for any application that requires a consistent connection.

I live remotely enough to be the only access point my devices can see. I still get latency that varies between 3 and 200 ms just from basic pings. Cable? <1ms every time.

While this isn’t really relevant for music. It’s a stretch to say WiFi is “fine”

Can we just go back to the colour for a second.

On closer inspection, and now that we have more pics, it appears to me that, despite the main casing being the same ‘space grey’ as the WiiM Amp, the front panel appears to be black. I think it looks very nice; it works, well at least for me.

Anyone else?
The spreadsheet says Space Grey or Silver à la WiiM Amp and yes I agree it looks great with the black front panel and will match my silver Audiolab 7000A with small screen very well. I will have to wait for the Silver option to be available but definitely worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back