WiiM Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated on 5/25/2024

Check out this fuller thread about our official announcement of the WiiM Ultra - https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/meet-wiim-ultra-the-digital-hub-for-your-music.3487/

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully my Eichmann Bullet Plugs will fit in those recessed RCA in/outputs :( Looks really tight for space...

Last edited:
The AKM is more recent, but it all depends greatly on implementation. Maybe Linkplay has partnered with Sabre. I am also thinking this is a cost issue. Older generation chips will be cheaper to acquire.
Greatest difference is probably that the new Ultra will have an aluminium box, meaning it will be less prone to RF than the plastic WiiM pro and pro+.
Therefore, I expect the Ultra to sound slightly darker and warmer , at least when you use the internal DAC and analog stage from the ultra and compare it to a WiiM pro+.

Rf disturbance is very real, and its something everyone can try to hear by making a rca cable without shielding. It will sound brighter than a shielded cable.

Rob Watts from Chord has a very interesting video about RF and other things:

Greatest difference is probably that the new Ultra will have an aluminium box, meaning it will be less prone to RF than the plastic WiiM pro and pro+.
Therefore, I expect the Ultra to sound slightly darker and warmer , at least when you use the internal DAC and analog stage from the ultra and compare it to a WiiM pro+.

Rf disturbance is very real, and its something everyone can try to hear by making a rca cable without shielding. It will sound brighter than a shielded cable.

So, will the Spacegray one sound darker than the Silver one.....?
:rolleyes:

Is that Rob Watts from Chord Cables saying how important it is that we spend more money on cables?

I'm a bit late to the game but this looks like a really spectacular device. With loudness compensation (see, e.g. RME ADI-2 or Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 for outstanding recent implementations) added to the current feature set IMO this would be the preamp to beat at any price, at least among models that don't offer automated alignment and calibration multiple subwoofers.

Nah, let's not. Better doing that over on ASR if one has the appetite or courage, we're just peace loving Wiim users here ;)😂
I'm gonna disagree, but on the other side if there is no place to argue then arguing is pointless anyway. And IMO you are overly moderating last days in the name of "peace loving Wiim users" :) Sometimes there are also battles to win.

ASR is not a safe place for people who can actually hear differences between cables. The Ultra has a C7 connector so I would advise to get an audiophile grade power cable for it. That really helps with reducing RF noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back