Beta Test: Plex (Feature now publicly available)

I thought Plexamp was perfect too, but when I compare it to Symfonium, i find it difficult to say which one I prefer at the moment.

Plexamp is simpler, more user friendly, and has a (slightly) sleeker design. Symfonium has way more functionality and customizability (also visually).

Good thing I can use both!

Reactions: vdp
I would say Plex endpoint is confirmed:

• Native Plex Control Protocol for the native Plex endpoint
Source:

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 10

Source:
But no target date …

With or without target date I wouldn’t buy on promises if Plex endpoint is a must for you. Though I’m positive that WiiM will deliver.

With or without target date I wouldn’t buy on promises if Plex endpoint is a must for you. Though I’m positive that WiiM will deliver.
To be fair, it’s probably in the early days of co-operation with Plex and they can’t give a date till they sit down together and see what’s required to deliver an endpoint solution. But I agree, don’t buy based on promises despite WiiM having a track record of delivering. Eventually ;)

We should also keep in mind that Plex are preparing for their big Plexamp 5.0 update so it could take a while still before they can focus on the compatibility with WiiM.

Nevertheless, it's a step in the right direction!

(Btw the latest update added bit-perfect playback for devices running Android 14 and higher, hurray!)

Yeah I'll only buy after public release and positive feedback.

It is totally fair that we don't have a date yet. They need to redesign and replan.

Kudos to rethink to WiiM. All to often have seen stubborness and sunk cost determine positions..

Source:
But not for the Mini, but that’s to be expected given it being the baby of the family

But not for the Mini, but that’s to be expected given it being the baby of the family

I thought Mini was the smallest oldest son.😂

Yeah I'll only buy after public release and positive feedback.

It is totally fair that we don't have a date yet. They need to redesign and replan.

Kudos to rethink to WiiM. All to often have seen stubborness and sunk cost determine positions..
The fact that you can stream via Chromecast and they're actively working on (and taking feedback into account) as a Plex integration shouldn't stop you. I am dealing with CC for now and look forward to being approved to beta test for this to help make it what we want. It's a heck of a lot better than companies like Bluesound.

I am using Plexamp as well as Symfonium at the moment. Symfonium with Google Cast to my WiiM Ultra actually displays the artwork, and has working next/previous controls on the WiiM remote. But when Plexamp is fully functional, I'll probably just use Plexamp again, my OCD brain can't handle 2 music apps for too long. :LOL:

I am using Plexamp as well as Symfonium at the moment. Symfonium with Google Cast to my WiiM Ultra actually displays the artwork, and has working next/previous controls on the WiiM remote. But when Plexamp is fully functional, I'll probably just use Plexamp again, my OCD brain can't handle 2 music apps for too long. :LOL:
I assume Smyfonium doesn't support things like the DJ's that Plexamp does?

Is that the same functionality as the Plexamp headless client? I am still confused that they are focused on Plex rather than Plexamp as Plexamp is the one for music

Indeed, saw a post from the developer from 8 months ago. DJ stuff is the only exception.
Ugh one one the best features of Plexamp. I will stick to my Linux box running the client with a dac connected to my WiiM then :(

Such a missed opportunity

Every integration into the WiiM app is worse than the native client it is the wrong approach just make it an endpoint like Spotify integration.

I am still confused that they are focused on Plex rather than Plexamp as Plexamp is the one for music
You'd be surprised by the number of people who don't want to pay anything, let alone a monthly subscription, to access their own content.
I'd imagine the market for Plex within the WiiM Home app is greater than that for a PlexAmp endpoint, especially when you consider PlexAmp doesn't even have any streaming service integration.

Back