Beta Test: Plex (Feature now publicly available)

Is the missing server remote, if so, that is probably why. If it's on your local network: do you have SSL/HTTPS set to "required" (as opposed to "preferred") for this particular server, because there is/was an issue (soon to be patched, if not done very recently) with WiiM accessing Plex via HTTP only.
Thanks for pointers. Both servers are local, both have Preferred but I have realised that only one has a Music library - doh!

After realising why I couldn't see the second Plex server I set about trying to use the integration. First test lossless. I gave up virtually straight away when I realised that there was no search facility and as a result I'd be scrolling for ages to find Pink Floyd or The Dark Side of the Moon. Yes I have a largish library but ....
It was never going to replace LMS for my home listening anyway. I use Plex for Plexamp in the car.

Last edited:
Android user here. I didn't opt into the beta, myself, although Plex is my main source for listening.

Interestingly I noticed that "Plex (beta)" is now an option in the Music Services for my WiiM minis. It is not available for any of my WiiM Pros.

I'd there a slow rollout going on?

Is it the same order you see on Plexamp?
So, on Pro+:
  1. Artists sorts correctly on PlexAmp for Windows (latest version) but does not on Wiim on Android (2.11.7), using Plex (beta) music source and sort by Title.
  2. Albums kind of sorts correctly on PlexAmp and Wiim when sort by is Artist on Wiim, albeit differently. I think PlexAmp is using Album Artist, whilst Wiim is using Artist... Wiim only offers Artist, PlexAmp only offers Album Artist.
  3. ... when sort by is changed to Title, PlexAmp works. Wiim does not.
Don't think it's supposed to, so working as expected, I cannot select Wiim as a source from PlexAmp.
Starting to think this was a rushed release. Ticket logged with Support.

Last edited:
So, on Pro+:
  1. Artists sorts correctly on PlexAmp for Windows (latest version) but does not on Wiim on Android (2.11.7), using Plex (beta) music source and sort by Title.
  2. Albums kind of sorts correctly on PlexAmp and Wiim when sort by is Artist on Wiim, albeit differently. I think PlexAmp is using Album Artist, whilst Wiim is using Artist... Wiim only offers Artist, PlexAmp only offers Album Artist.
  3. ... when sort by is changed to Title, PlexAmp works. Wiim does not.
Don't think it's supposed to, so working as expected, I cannot select Wiim as a source from PlexAmp.
Starting to think this was a rushed release. Ticket logged with Support.
I understand, for sure it is still really a beta. Ticket was a good choice

Hi everyone! Thanks all for testing out the Plex integration! We've been going through your feedback and have partnered with Plex to build a more in depth integration with Plex before we go live. Please continue to share feedback, we'll keep reading it.

We'll let you know when there's more to share, but for now we're going back to the development desk for some more time.

Hi everyone! Thanks all for testing out the Plex integration! We've been going through your feedback and have partnered with Plex to build a more in depth integration with Plex before we go live. Please continue to share feedback, we'll keep reading it.

We'll let you know when there's more to share, but for now we're going back to the development desk for some more time.
That sounds like awesome news! From my point of view there’s no need for a deep integration. Everything I need is the WiiM devices to be a headless PlexAmp endpoint like it is a LMS endpoint (squeezelite).

When you scroll down the list of artists, or albums,...it would be VERY NICE to have the first letter show up on the right of the screen of the artists you're scrolling at the moment (as in Plexamp,Bubbleupnp, and many others) so you can scroll down the letters to get to an artist starting with a Q or a Z ! Because scrolling down a list of 1500 artists without such a shortcut is a Royal Pain In The Ass!

When you scroll down the list of artists, or albums,...it would be VERY NICE to have the first letter show up on the right of the screen of the artists you're scrolling at the moment (as in Plexamp,Bubbleupnp, and many others) so you can scroll down the letters to get to an artist starting with a Q or a Z ! Because scrolling down a list of 1500 artists without such a shortcut is a Royal Pain In The Ass!
The technical term is “jumplist” and I totally agree

Not saying anything unfortunately. Not an answer to Plexamp headless unfortunately.

Plex as partners recommending this over headless plexamp?
Plex is rather clear on their forums that headless plexamp offers the best experience.

1000011397.jpg

glad to hear that there's now some direct collaboration with the Plex team ... with their help, i hope the WiiM team can implement something like a Plex receiver that's controllable from a remote Plexamp app ... will look forward to testing it out

(i'm guessing a full version of headless Plexamp + dependencies would require too much memory / storage for any of the WiiM platforms)

(i'm guessing a full version of headless Plexamp + dependencies would require too much memory / storage for any of the WiiM platforms)
I’d expect that for the Mini but not necessarily so for the others due to their greater ram and number of cpu cores - after all, they already accommodate the requirements and act as Connect endpoints/renderers for UPnP, Spotify, Tidal, Amazon Music, Sqeezelite etc and I can’t see that a Plex endpoint is any more complex than any of them

Back